Thread: 2017 Combine/Rookie Prospect Chatter

Default 2017 Combine/Rookie Prospect Chatter

Sup peeps? Thoughts thus far into the process?

My immediate takes:

• We need to dial-back the Dalvin Cook hype. He can't pass block for shit and really needs work in that regard to become 3 down back
    • Also Cook has amazing vision, contact balance and patience as a runner, but has zero power to push a pile. So his red zone carries will be suspect
    • John Ross' 4.22/40 time doesn't mean squat to me (see: Will Fuller). Kid has more soft tissue/joint injuries thus far into his nascent career to be any higher than a mid 2nd in dynasty drafts
    • Corey Davis safer pick over Williams due to expected volume of targets, but I like Williams overall upside better
    • McCaffrey more than any other RB in this class needs to go to the right team who will scheme to his strengths
    • Joe Mixon is the 2nd best RB (behind Fournette) in this draft class - off-field red flags aside
    • top of the 2nd round in dyno drafts I am targeting Zay Jones, Kareem Hunt J.Williams D Foreman
    • WR Carlos Henderson is a FAR better WR prospect than Cooper Kupp. Do NOT buy the Kupp hype. 4.6 forty time. Relies more on technique than overall athleticism. Won't be able to sell the deep route consistently enough get separation in the short to intermiate routes for which he is suited.

what say you...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 2017 Combine/Rookie Prospect Chatter

Cook just has to get a little more fight in him, he gives into tackles too easily. But he can cut, has great burst, and can be very elusive. But once he’s getting tackled, that’s it for him. If he gets to the 2nd level of a D, he’s gone. But it’s getting through the line is his issue. Dudes going to be a highlight reel, but he’s going to be frustrating in real life. Lots of 2yrd gains, then a big 80yrd gain.

Most young RBs can’t pick up a blitz/block in the pass game. If he can get on a team with a line like the skins/Oakland, he’ll be fine.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Also can we bring light to how freaking athletic some of the defensive players are now?!
    Peppers 4.46 40yard
    Lawson repping out 35 on the bench press
    Garrett 41” vert, and 10’8” on the broad jump
    Reddick 11’1” on the broad jump
    Bowser 6.75 and TJ Watt with 6.79 on the 3 cone
    4.13 For Gedeon and Watt on the 20yrd shuttle
    Watt with 11.20 on the 60yrd shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Cook just has to get a little more fight in him, he gives into tackles too easily. But he can cut, has great burst, and can be very elusive. But once he?s getting tackled, that?s it for him. If he gets to the 2nd level of a D, he?s gone. But it?s getting through the line is his issue. Dudes going to be a highlight reel, but he?s going to be frustrating in real life. Lots of 2yrd gains, then a big 80yrd gain.

Most young RBs can?t pick up a blitz/block in the pass game. If he can get on a team with a line like the skins/Oakland, he?ll be fine.
    Listen Cook has SPECTACULAR contact balance, bend, vision, patience, speed. Sincerely. Awesome in that regard. And I realize most college RBs are poor blockers, but Cook is especially bad. That's why I bring it to light. And as a receiving back you need to a jive okay blocker to be a 3 down back. Not saying he can't learn and develop...but he needs to.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

For fantasy purposes, any early thoughts on who your top 3 would be for a rookie draft? I am not sure if I am picking 2nd or 3rd, thats why I ask about a top 3.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

All depends where they go. But personally I think it’s:
    Cook - RB

Mike Williams – WR
    Smith-Schuster – WR
    Corey Davis – WR
    Leonard Fournette – RB
    Nick Chubb – RB

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    For fantasy purposes, any early thoughts on who your top 3 would be for a rookie draft? I am not sure if I am picking 2nd or 3rd, thats why I ask about a top 3.
    Ummm....hmmm...tough call. Depends on your strategy. I lean towards WR-heavy especially in ppr formats. There's more turnover at the RB position and their pro life expectancy is not nearly as long as that of a WR, generally speaking. I'm also not as high on Cook as others. Rightly or wrongly. I believe he's being overvalued due to a number of red flags that stand out to me not the least of which is very poor blocking ability. Multiple shoulder surgeries, lack of athleticism exhibited at combine, he tends to run towards and seeks out space rather than creating his own, has as many off-field/character concerns as Mixon that everyone seems to be ignoring for reasons that are unknown to me, and his receiving ability isn't as sure a thing as it's being billed - he was not split out from the line as often as people are assuming. Oh, and fumble concerns too.

So back to your original question. With all that said, Mixon would be my #1 RB off the board then McCaffrey/Fournette depending on their landing spots. Davis would be my first overall. However, I am not married to him. IF I had the first overall, I would trade down to 4th, acquire Mixon and an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder and sleep fine. I'd look for Zay Jones or Carlos Henderson at the top of the 2nd, or a TE.

Without knowing landing spots and with the above noted my prelim order would be

Davis
    Mixon/McCaffrey
    Fournette
    Williams
    Cook

EDIT: that Mixon rank is based on my assumption that he goes off the board in round 2 or 3 in the NFL draft.
    @SmittysRant