Thread: Horizon Zero Dawn

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Horizon Zero Dawn

Released yesterday, but Amazon made a mistake and I received mine last Friday, so I've sunk a ton of hours into it.

This is possibly the best game I have ever played - the graphics for sure are hands down the best on console. The world is just stunning, everywhere you look its so detailed and diverse. I can't even begin to describe it (be warned it's very large).

Combat is great, it's deep but not hard to grasp. Fantastic enemies - robot animals and dinosaurs!

On top of that the story is actually really interesting, and the voice acting is very good too.

If you've been putting off getting a PS4, this game is worth getting the system.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Horizon Zero Dawn

Damn, did my new game purchase for Battlefield 1. Oh well, i'll look at it in a few months.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Is it really that good?

I've been seeing a lot of hype for it but that's normal right after a game release.

I'm working my way through The Witcher still but it's getting painfully slow so I'm looking for a change of pace.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it really that good?

I've been seeing a lot of hype for it but that's normal right after a game release.

I'm working my way through The Witcher still but it's getting painfully slow so I'm looking for a change of pace.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Released yesterday, but Amazon made a mistake and I received mine last Friday, so I've sunk a ton of hours into it.

This is possibly the best game I have ever played - the graphics for sure are hands down the best on console. The world is just stunning, everywhere you look its so detailed and diverse. I can't even begin to describe it (be warned it's very large).
    It does look really cool....although based on the hype Zelda is getting....that may be the best game ever!!

Dobber Sports Genius

My pre-order just shipped yesterday (as if you got yours early!), so I'll likely dig into it next week. Looks amazing.

I've also got Mass Effect pre-ordered for March, and I am so crazy excited for a new ME game, I can't wait.

Currently playing For Honor, and I am very, very pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying that one. If you like playing games online, but are tiring of shooters, this could be the game for you. It's like a fighting game, but not. Fantastic fighting system, and just something all around different. It's not for everyone, but I'm really digging it.

- - - Updated - - -

My pre-order just shipped yesterday (as if you got yours early!), so I'll likely dig into it next week. Looks amazing.

I've also got Mass Effect pre-ordered for March, and I am so crazy excited for a new ME game, I can't wait.

Currently playing For Honor, and I am very, very pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying that one. If you like playing games online, but are tiring of shooters, this could be the game for you. It's like a fighting game, but not. Fantastic fighting system, and just something all around different. It's not for everyone, but I'm really digging it.

Dobber Sports Ninja

What kind of game is it? I've completely lost interest in Destiny since they released their latest patch so I'm looking for a new game to dive into.

What's a comparable?

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of game is it? I've completely lost interest in Destiny since they released their latest patch so I'm looking for a new game to dive into.

What's a comparable?

Dobber Sports Genius

3rd person action/adventure. Not sure what a good comparable would be, but maybe PD can chime in. Like Tomb Raider/Uncharted, but with a wide open world, and deeper mechanics? There are probably much, much better comparables...

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post

What's a comparable?
    OK I did gush a lot but this game is right up my alley - action/adventure 3rd person shooter (I love games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Last of Us, Doom, Titanfall 2, Wolfenstein, Far Cry). It's got elements of a lot of games, but the overall package is just superb.

It's not like Destiny (I got bored with that game so quick) - Cascade has it right - it's a huge open world with mechanics a lot like the new Tomb Raider games. The map is a lot like Far Cry or Fallout, but I've never seen such a detailed incredible looking world - everywhere you go it's different and highly detailed. I've spent a fair amount of time just wandering around looking at everything - the movement/controls are very good and fluid.

Several weapon choices for different styles of play, I'm relying heavily on the bows. Targeting is really good. It's got RPG elements but not too crazy in depth, just skill trees and weapon upgrades and mods.

There's a lot of dialog too like Fallout or Mass Effect (though not nearly as much). I'm not far enough into the story to see how much consequence choices have, but I do know that it does have an effect on the endgame.

Be warned though it's a long game, even if you're just focusing on the main story quests. I'm 40 hrs in and at around 45% completion - but I've been just wandering around a lot gathering collectibles, levelling up and getting better at the combat.

There are a ton of gameplay vids on Youtube so you can get an idea if you want.
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    I have Amazon Prime - it was waiting for me after work on Friday - I think Amazon made a mistake as they always arrive on release day but I ain't complaining (although I did get Battlefront a day early).
    I was burnt out after ME3, but I am sure I will get to Andromeda at some point.
    I've heard it's a lot like the Souls/Bloodborne games - I totally (I mean absolutely totally) suck at them so I am wary of getting into this one. How would you compare it to those ones?

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I've heard it's a lot like the Souls/Bloodborne games - I totally (I mean absolutely totally) suck at them so I am wary of getting into this one. How would you compare it to those ones?
    The combat is kind of like the Souls games, in that it's about reading visual queues and reacting, and the mechanics are vaguely similar, because it's a 3rd person action game with swords, axes, maces, etc., but it's also fairly different. The blocking and attacks are much, much more in depth in For Honor, but also extremely easy to learn. For me, it's the fighting game I've always wanted. It's primarily an online experience, but the AI is fantastic, so you can practice against the computer all you want and never go online if you choose. There are two video tutorials to watch for each of the 12 fighters, too, and those are really helpful. Not saying you'd like FH if you haven't taken to the Souls games, but it's also not a sure thing that you wouldn't.

Dobber Sports Veteran

So I'm pretty hooked on this game right now.

Very similar game play style to Farcry and the story is very in depth, similar to Destiny/Skyrim.

There's a very good main storyline with a spattering of side quests, but none of them really feel like boring tasks you need to finish before you can proceed.

I'm about 8 hours of gameplay in and it's been very rewarding.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Genius

Amazon bungled my shipping, so I'm still waiting on my copy.

Dobber Sports Giant

That sucks; they are usually reliable for shipping. You should chat with customer service; they are very helpful from my experiences.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Immortal

I think you should just tell them you want Mass Effect as well.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I think you should just tell them you want Mass Effect as well.
    An early copy of ME? Yes, please! Yeah, it sucks to have to wait longer. I moved last summer, and I got Amazon to change all of my pre-order shipping addresses, but I guess they missed some. They're re-shipping it via priority shipping tonight/tomorrow, so I should have it on Thursday, hopefully. I don't mind putting more time into For Honor in the meantime.