Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [TRADE] Shattenkirk to Washington

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: [TRADE] Shattenkirk to Washington

Calling Sanford a potential second liner is being extremely generous. Sounds like the general consensus is he's a 3rd liner at best.
    Team1 - 12 Team Yahoo Daily H2H Cash League
    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    -
    C: McDavid, Scheifele, Larkin
    LW: Huberdeau, Hoffman, Guentzel
    RW: Fiala, Gusev
    D: Hughes, Yandle, Toews, Ristolainen, DeAngelo
    G: Andersen, Koskinen, Sorokin

Team2 - 12 Team Yahoo Daily H2H Cash League
    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    -
    C: Kopitar, Monahan
    LW: Draisaitl, Huberdeau, Connor
    RW: Marner, Fiala, Konecny
    D: Karlsson, Gustafsson, Suter, Sergachev, Chabot
    G: Andersen, Koskinen, Ullmark

Dobber Sports Master

It was all about getting the first rounder. Weak draft or not, it's what they needed out of this deal. Walking UFAs come for less and less. Remember what Marian Hossa went for? Plugs Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen.. Failed prospect Angelo Esposito and a late 1st rounder, whom the Thrashers used on a guy that never played in the NHL.

It's kinda all about the first rounder and then you roll the dice.. and Hossa was a way better player at the time than Shattenkirk will ever be.

- - - Updated - - -

It was all about getting the first rounder. Weak draft or not, it's what they needed out of this deal. Walking UFAs come for less and less. Remember what Marian Hossa went for? Plugs Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen.. Failed prospect Angelo Esposito and a late 1st rounder, whom the Thrashers used on a guy that never played in the NHL.

It's kinda all about the first rounder and then you roll the dice.. and Hossa was a way better player at the time than Shattenkirk will ever be.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This is such a bad deal for St. Louis lol. I mean good for them getting something I guess, but realistically they cap out at a 1st and a 2nd. Sanford is not a prospect he's a contract to balance contract limits.

Also low-key love how GMs manage to spin the narrative to their liking to justify not doing their jobs.

The Shattenkirk trade was too hard to do because he's a UFA and was a rental and that's a lot of assets to give up for a rental.

The Duchene trade is too hard to do because he has term left an there's an expansion draft and blah blah blah.

I couldn't imagine telling my boss one aspect of my job was hard and that's why I never did it and that being ok.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This is such a bad deal for St. Louis lol. I mean good for them getting something I guess, but realistically they cap out at a 1st and a 2nd. Sanford is not a prospect he's a contract to balance contract limits.

Also low-key love how GMs manage to spin the narrative to their liking to justify not doing their jobs.

The Shattenkirk trade was too hard to do because he's a UFA and was a rental and that's a lot of assets to give up for a rental.

The Duchene trade is too hard to do because he has term left an there's an expansion draft and blah blah blah.

I couldn't imagine telling my boss one aspect of my job was hard and that's why I never did it and that being ok.
    Their job is not to trade players... their job is to decide what trades make sense and what trades do not make sense and act accordingly. This is of course subject to what deals are available to them via other GMs. If there isn't a good enough trade being offered to make it worth moving Duchene, then it is the GMs job to not move Duchene. And if this was the best return available for Shattenkirk then it is the GMs job to take it, assuming they don't prefer to hang onto him for playoff run. No?

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Their job is not to trade players... their job is to decide what trades make sense and what trades do not make sense and act accordingly. This is of course subject to what deals are available to them via other GMs. If there isn't a good enough trade being offered to make it worth moving Duchene, then it is the GMs job to not move Duchene. And if this was the best return available for Shattenkirk then it is the GMs job to take it, assuming they don't prefer to hang onto him for playoff run. No?
    Their job is to make their team as good as possible. The most common justification for not making trades is "trades are hard" and "the salary cap" and "expansion draft". The second two roll into the first one, so basically most of the time GMs don't make trades because "trades are hard". And fans hear that and think. "Yea, that's true. Makes sense to me." So dumb.

Dobber Sports Pro

Their job is to make their team as good as possible. The most common justification for not making trades is "trades are hard" and "the salary cap" and "expansion draft". The second two roll into the first one, so basically most of the time GMs don't make trades because "trades are hard". And fans hear that and think. "Yea, that's true. Makes sense to me." So dumb.
    It probably isn't very hard to make trades. But making trades that A) make you better B) are cap compliant and C) are actually agreeable to the GM of the other team... is probably REALLY hard. Throwing in the expansion issue doesn't make it any easier. Just my $.02, anyways.

It probably isn't very hard to make trades. But making trades that A) make you better B) are cap compliant and C) are actually agreeable to the GM of the other team... is probably REALLY hard. Throwing in the expansion issue doesn't make it any easier. Just my $.02, anyways.
    There are very few cases where expansion actually makes it harder.

The cap should be a non-factor. With salary retention and bad contracts, the cap has been around for 10+ years. It's a crutch excuse that fans accept but honestly, if you can't handle the cap in trades at this point you shouldn't have a job.

And lastly, and most importantly. If I went to my boss and said "I'm not going to do this part, because even though it's an aspect of my job, it's really hard", well I'd get fired, not get met with "Ok, that makes sense. That's fine."

Dobber Sports Pro

And lastly, and most importantly. If I went to my boss and said "I'm not going to do this part, because even though it's an aspect of my job, it's really hard", well I'd get fired, not get met with "Ok, that makes sense. That's fine."
    That isn't a very good analogy though, imo. Their job is not just to make trades. It is to make trades that make the team better IF there is a trade available that makes sense. Sometimes there just isn't.

If a real estate agent is told by their boss to find a building worth purchasing in a particular area, and due to the market conditions and the sellers in the area there isn't one worth purchasing unless you are willing to make a bad deal, then your boss will tell you "Thanks for trying. Let's not make a bad deal. We'll figure something else out." Only an idiot boss would say "I don't care if there isn't a property out there worth buying - do it anyways. It isn't that hard." Sometimes it really is hard, if not impossible.

That isn't a very good analogy though, imo. Their job is not just to make trades. It is to make trades that make the team better IF there is a trade available that makes sense. Sometimes there just isn't.

If a real estate agent is told by their boss to find a building worth purchasing in a particular area, and due to the market conditions and the sellers in the area there isn't one worth purchasing unless you are willing to make a bad deal, then your boss will tell you "Thanks for trying. Let's not make a bad deal. We'll figure something else out." Only an idiot boss would say "I don't care if there isn't a property out there worth buying - do it anyways. It isn't that hard." Sometimes it really is hard, if not impossible.
    You're really looking at it the wrong way. But that's fine. Keep making excuses for GMs not doing their job. That keeps them employed.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

According to Rotoworld, early word is Shattenkirk is getting a 3rd line pairing at even strength and 2nd PP unit time. As both a Carlson and Shattenkirk owner, I'm not exactly thrilled
    12 team, keep 13 (4 sport league)
    3pts per goal, 2 per assist, 2 per SHG
    5pts per win, 3 per shutout, 0.2 per save, -1 per GA
    Forwards
    Center-Kuznetsov, Matthews, Barkov, Johansen, Guentzel
    LW-Panarin, Voracek, Granlund
    RW-Pavelski, Wheeler, Kane
    Defense
    Shattenkirk, Carlson, Weber, Brodie, Markov
    Goalies
    Murray, Allen, Hellebuyck, Budaj, MAF, Halak

IR-Stamkos

Dobber Sports Deity

Where did you see/read this? I saw on twitter hes on PP1.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nh...o-line-changes

I really hope that your info is more accurate than this

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nhl/69615/510/subject-to-line-changes

12 team, keep 13 (4 sport league)
    3pts per goal, 2 per assist, 2 per SHG
    5pts per win, 3 per shutout, 0.2 per save, -1 per GA
    Forwards
    Center-Kuznetsov, Matthews, Barkov, Johansen, Guentzel
    LW-Panarin, Voracek, Granlund
    RW-Pavelski, Wheeler, Kane
    Defense
    Shattenkirk, Carlson, Weber, Brodie, Markov
    Goalies
    Murray, Allen, Hellebuyck, Budaj, MAF, Halak

IR-Stamkos

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by foltzie View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Take this for what it's worth. I guess time will tell who is right and who is wrong. Click the twitter link for full line projections.

https://twitter.com/DailyFaceoff/sta...49902159581184

Wilson on top line. Shattenkirk on top PP. Niskanen will play. Oshie out. Holtby in net. #Caps news overload.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."