Thread: Better keeper long term: OEL, Krug or Ristolainen?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Better keeper long term: OEL, Krug or Ristolainen?

Hey Guys,

OEL has been my keeper Dman cornerstone for a few years now - retained at 10th Rd

Should I maybe consider releasing him for one of either Krug (16th Rd keeper) or Ristolainen (17th Rd Keeper)?

They have both out produced him... obviously a down year for OEL... But all three seem to very comparable

Who is the best keeper of these three for the foreseeable future given the cost?

Thanks

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Better keeper long term: OEL, Krug or Ristolainen?

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin_co View Post
    Hey Guys,

OEL has been my keeper Dman cornerstone for a few years now - retained at 10th Rd

Should I maybe consider releasing him for one of either Krug (16th Rd keeper) or Ristolainen (17th Rd Keeper)?

They have both out produced him... obviously a down year for OEL... But all three seem to very comparable

Who is the best keeper of these three for the foreseeable future given the cost?

Thanks
    So keep 2 out of OEL, Krug, Risto and Provorov.... very tough call man. Almost tempted to say go with Krug and Risto for the 16th and 17th rounders. I love Provorov but your league doesn't count hits or blocks, and I'm not sure how quickly he will blossom from a points perspective... Krug has been absolutely on fire lately, and Risto is leading a dangerous PP in Buffalo. I think a good argument could be made for any combo of 2 of the 4 guys, honestly.

Love that you can keep Reinhart for a 27th rounder. That is gonna be a hell of a value.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    So keep 2 out of OEL, Krug, Risto and Provorov.... very tough call man. Almost tempted to say go with Krug and Risto for the 16th and 17th rounders. I love Provorov but your league doesn't count hits or blocks, and I'm not sure how quickly he will blossom from a points perspective... Krug has been absolutely on fire lately, and Risto is leading a dangerous PP in Buffalo. I think a good argument could be made for any combo of 2 of the 4 guys, honestly.

Love that you can keep Reinhart for a 27th rounder. That is gonna be a hell of a value.
    Yeah essentially thats it - I mean I can technically keep as many defenseman as I want, but at the cost of forwards...

I'd like to only keep 2 however

hard to let Provorov go... but yeah, you're probably right - if I still consider myself competitive next year (which I do), then I should opt to keep the more productive guys

even though OEL is still an upper tier Dman, I think his production could be the same as Krug/Risto... but at a higher cost (in my league)

and yeah, I drafted Reinhart when we was a rookie as a late round flier... hoping that pans out over time! I'm a big fan

further tangent... would also love to find room for our boy Mantha... he'd be a 28th rounder!

Thanks for the input

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin_co View Post
    Yeah essentially thats it - I mean I can technically keep as many defenseman as I want, but at the cost of forwards...

I'd like to only keep 2 however

hard to let Provorov go... but yeah, you're probably right - if I still consider myself competitive next year (which I do), then I should opt to keep the more productive guys

even though OEL is still an upper tier Dman, I think his production could be the same as Krug/Risto... but at a higher cost (in my league)

and yeah, I drafted Reinhart when we was a rookie as a late round flier... hoping that pans out over time! I'm a big fan

further tangent... would also love to find room for our boy Mantha... he'd be a 28th rounder!

Thanks for the input
    Yeah, I think I agree with you on OEL being similar enough in production to Krug/Risto that it isn't worth a 6 round difference in picks to keep him.

And I am already on record as saying you should keep Mantha for a 28th over Duchene for a 4th.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ivan and Rasmus just because of their names. How could you not?

No but really. Provorov has the all around game. He's an amazing skater and he will be quarterbacking that PP for years. You will regret it when he blossoms. I used to drive 3 hours just to watch him play. He's a beaut!!!!

The Great One

There are very few d-men I'd consider keeping over Risto - he's destined for greatness in the not too distant future.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think I'd be going with OEL and Risto. It's a down year for OEL, but with your league's cats he can be a potential superstar. I wonder what his ranking was last year. He has the 55 point upside while Krug is pretty much set in stone as a 40-45 guy. Big difference between a 45 and 55 point d-man. Add in PPP and shots and OEL is just too good to pass up in this league.

As for Risto over Krug.... I just feel there's a bit more "boom" with Risto. Krug is what he is, Risto has the chance to bring his scoring up a little more from here.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'd be going with OEL and Risto. It's a down year for OEL, but with your league's cats he can be a potential superstar. I wonder what his ranking was last year. He has the 55 point upside while Krug is pretty much set in stone as a 40-45 guy. Big difference between a 45 and 55 point d-man. Add in PPP and shots and OEL is just too good to pass up in this league.

As for Risto over Krug.... I just feel there's a bit more "boom" with Risto. Krug is what he is, Risto has the chance to bring his scoring up a little more from here.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ristolainen
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I like Risto in your situation as well.