Thread: Ethics of this kind of trade

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Ethics of this kind of trade

So in a limited keeper, a lot of non-keeper rentals get acquired at the deadline. Some may be considered a keeper for another team, though.

Is it wrong to do a deal with a seller where you agree to return a rental player to them in the summer? All transactions would have something which benefits to both teams.

Something about it seems off...I haven't seen it done before. Is it collusion? Any thoughts?

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Administrator

Default Re: Ethics of this kind of trade

I'd only have an issue if the deal was heavily lopsided in favor of the team going for it. It wouldn't be cool for a seller to give one team a huge boost at a discount rate just because.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

If two teams other than you put through the deal how would you feel about it. Personally I don't like the idea of premeditated trade backs, but every league is different.

- - - Updated - - -

If two teams other than you put through the deal how would you feel about it. Personally I don't like the idea of premeditated trade backs, but every league is different.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Would you feel comfortable disclosing the trade back to the rest of your league right now? The answer to that question probably guides you to whether or not it is right to do in the context of your league.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Veteran

It is a form of collusion imo if you already have a second reverse deal layed out. If I were a GM in your league the second deal would piss me off I think, especially if one of the participating teams ended up with a victory out of it.

Another way to analyze it is to ask yourself if the first deal alone is one that each side would be happy with.

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't like the feeling of it, either; however, it happens in the NHL with rental UFAs, so why not in fantasy? The condition in our league that we sort of came to, in regards to this same question, was that it could not be an exact trade back. We discussed the idea of saying that for every part getting traded back, there had to be two new parts being moved as well, but we figured that was getting to complicated. We also have non-playoff teams playing for draft position (the better you do in the consolation bracket, the higher you draft), so there is not a lot of incentive to tank or make a trade like this in our league.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like the feeling of it, either; however, it happens in the NHL with rental UFAs, so why not in fantasy? The condition in our league that we sort of came to, in regards to this same question, was that it could not be an exact trade back. We discussed the idea of saying that for every part getting traded back, there had to be two new parts being moved as well, but we figured that was getting to complicated. We also have non-playoff teams playing for draft position (the better you do in the consolation bracket, the higher you draft), so there is not a lot of incentive to tank or make a trade like this in our league.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would say it is ethical under the right situations. Firstly, a verbal agreement is unbinding, so the owner takes a risk relying on the other owner. Secondly, the player giving the rental would still have to have a net gain.
    Now, I suppose in theory the player could light it up and now he is simply worth more come the summer, and in those cases you need to adapt and roll with the scenario. A verbal agreement that that player will be available again come the summer, and maybe even that the original owner has first crack at him, wouldn't be out of the question.

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't really like the idea of it, and this doesn't really ever happen in the NHL. If a player in the NHL chooses of their own free will to sign with the original team after being traded that's different, but that would be more like you redrafting him the following season. A trade back agreement seems a little off to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really like the idea of it, and this doesn't really ever happen in the NHL. If a player in the NHL chooses of their own free will to sign with the original team after being traded that's different, but that would be more like you redrafting him the following season. A trade back agreement seems a little off to me.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Ninja

If the entire deal is announced, including the return of the player, then it's perfectly fine. If you don't feel comfortable with announcing the back end of the deal, then it's just plain wrong. Call it what you want. I would call it unethical and not want to be a part of a league where deals like that happen.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    I don't really like the idea of it, and this doesn't really ever happen in the NHL.
    Very true. The NHL doesn't allow this type of agreement as far as I know (even though there's probably lots of stuff going on behind the scenes). I don't know if it should be different in fantasy, but the NHL's way of doing things is always a good starting point.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Veteran

It just doesn't feel right. We have a trade rule whereby a player cannot be traded back to the originating team in the off season. Therefore a rental becomes costly. Otherwise what would stop teams out of contending renting out their top players.

Administrator

To add to what I wrote, if it's the exact same deal happening both times then I have a problem as there's no way the selling team can rationalize benefiting from the exchange. It's simply doing a favor for a team higher in the standings.

If the two deals are different there's plenty of ways for the selling team to "benefit" in the end. In the end this is fantasy hockey, players get traded around a lot.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

I don't like. If you're trading, say, Crosby, McDavid and Karlsson for Mike Smith and Brendan Gallagher, and in the summer, trade back Crosby, McDavid, Karlsson and a first rounder for Smith and Gallagher, then there's a huge problem with it.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Giant

100% collusion imo. might as well just share two teams.trade all young prospects and picks to one team and all season worthy players to the other.
    it doesn't seem terrible for the one trade but you see how this could get out of hand.

- - - Updated - - -

100% collusion imo. might as well just share two teams.trade all young prospects and picks to one team and all season worthy players to the other.
    it doesn't seem terrible for the one trade but you see how this could get out of hand.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It's entirely illegal/colluding. The NHL fined the Jets and Flyers way back when they tried it.

See the link here > http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-...rs-flyers-jets

I'll paste the text here>
    NEW YORK — NHL President John Ziegler fined the Philadelphia Flyers and Winnipeg Jets $10,000 each Friday for violating the league by-law that prohibits teams from lending players to each other.

The Flyers traded goalie Pete Peeters and forward Keith Acton to the Jets on Sept. 28 in exchange for future considerations. Five days later, Winnipeg returned Peeters and Acton to Philadelphia in exchange for the Toronto Maple Leafs' sixth-round selection in the 1991 NHL entry draft, which the Flyers held from an earlier transaction.

Ziegler said while there was no evidence of an agreement to re-trade the players, "the absence of a legally binding agreement to re-trade does not mean there was no loan of the players. . . . The bottom line is that immediately before the waiver draft, the players belonged to Philadelphia and immediately after the draft, they belonged to Philadelphia. In the interim, they were protected from the draft. It is clear to me this was a loan of players."

Both clubs have the right to appeal the fines to the NHL Board of Governors.

- - - Updated - - -

It's entirely illegal/colluding. The NHL fined the Jets and Flyers way back when they tried it.

See the link here > http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-02/sports/sp-155_1_players-flyers-jets

I'll paste the text here>
    NEW YORK ? NHL President John Ziegler fined the Philadelphia Flyers and Winnipeg Jets $10,000 each Friday for violating the league by-law that prohibits teams from lending players to each other.

The Flyers traded goalie Pete Peeters and forward Keith Acton to the Jets on Sept. 28 in exchange for future considerations. Five days later, Winnipeg returned Peeters and Acton to Philadelphia in exchange for the Toronto Maple Leafs' sixth-round selection in the 1991 NHL entry draft, which the Flyers held from an earlier transaction.

Ziegler said while there was no evidence of an agreement to re-trade the players, "the absence of a legally binding agreement to re-trade does not mean there was no loan of the players. . . . The bottom line is that immediately before the waiver draft, the players belonged to Philadelphia and immediately after the draft, they belonged to Philadelphia. In the interim, they were protected from the draft. It is clear to me this was a loan of players."

Both clubs have the right to appeal the fines to the NHL Board of Governors.

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov