Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shattenkirk blocks trade by refusing contract extension.....

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Shattenkirk blocks trade by refusing contract extension.....

I suspect he will end up in Boston or with the Rangers, before the start of next season. I also suspect he may stay a Blue until then. I can't see anyone paying the rental cost the Blues are asking for and he is too valuable to St. Louis going into the playoffs. Both teams would need to move pieces to make his salary fit (not sure how he would demand less than 6.5-7 million, per season). Time will tell.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRamrod View Post
    I suspect he will end up in Boston or with the Rangers, before the start of next season. I also suspect he may stay a Blue until then. I can't see anyone paying the rental cost the Blues are asking for and he is too valuable to St. Louis going into the playoffs. Both teams would need to move pieces to make his salary fit (not sure how he would demand less than 6.5-7 million, per season). Time will tell.
    A Shattenkirk for Duchene makes sense but I have to agree with you here. He knows exactly where he wants to go.

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't like the use of the word "refuse" in this situation. I'd prefer to say that he is "declining" contract extensions. Simply because the definition of "decline" is "politely refuse", and I'd like to give Shatty the benefit of the doubt and assume that he isn't doing it impolitely.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    I don't like the use of the word "refuse" in this situation. I'd prefer to say that he is "declining" contract extensions. Simply because the definition of "decline" is "politely refuse", and I'd like to give Shatty the benefit of the doubt and assume that he isn't doing it impolitely.

Actually, let's just go with "reject", which is what was printed in the article.

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think STL deals him at all because their ask is too high and Shattenkirk is hell-bent on hitting UFA this summer. No one wants to pay the price STL wants for him without knowing they can re-sign him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think STL deals him at all because their ask is too high and Shattenkirk is hell-bent on hitting UFA this summer. No one wants to pay the price STL wants for him without knowing they can re-sign him.
    Which is why he'll be a rental at the trading deadline.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

He won't sign an extension. He's signing in New York this summer.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I was thinking Toronto would be a good fit for him. Man that power play for the next 5-6 years.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Which is why he'll be a rental at the trading deadline.
    As long as STL continues to ask for the moon for him, no one is buying. If their price comes down dramatically then I can see him being a rental for someone. I wont be one bit surprised if he's still in STL come Mar 2nd.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    They would need to dump some salary to fit his $6M+ contract under the cap. That's why I think maybe they'll acquire Shattenkirk already before the trade deadline so that they can include some salary in that deal.

Dobber Sports All-Star

There is zero benefit to them trading him as a rental so they won't. They will not get anywhere near what they would want so why even bother? They are better off keeping him for their playoff run so they will just bite the bullet and pretend that he is their 'free' rental player. He will do a lot more for them in the playoffs than a pick will.

Administrator

It's a poker game. St. Louis knows that as far as the rental market goes, they hold the best hand. It's a seller's market and they've got the guy who helps any team he goes to. If you start seeing contenders drop out of the market by dealing their 1sts for other options then the Blues lose negotiating leverage but until we see those teams drop out the Blues maintain the leverage to play teams off each other. I don't think that every team is in the market for Shattenkirk but there are easily 10 teams who could/should be. Because he's the best asset, the Blues will be able to continue to keep asking prices high until the deadline. I have to think that someone will offer up a good prospect plus a 1st round pick, even if it has to come with protections on it.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

10 teams interested in Shatty but only a few of those can actually make it work cap wise.

Dobber Sports Titan

He’ll get moved, or STL will resign him. They won’t let him walk for nothing like they did with Brouwer and Backes.

- - - Updated - - -

He?ll get moved, or STL will resign him. They won?t let him walk for nothing like they did with Brouwer and Backes.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    He?ll get moved, or STL will resign him. They won?t let him walk for nothing like they did with Brouwer and Backes.
    They definitely cannot afford to re-sign him after the extension they handed out to Berglund. Without that, it would have been somewhat possible. They will have to trade him cheaply as a rental or keep him for now and lose him for nothing in the summer.

The Blues have $8.6M of cap space now but they need to add three depth players, so that leaves them with around $7M in best case scenario or $6M more realistically. No matter how you slice it, that's not enough for Shattenkirk AND Parayko who both need a big raise. The Berglund extension confirmed that the Blues have no intention of re-signing Shattenkirk.