Thread: Nikita Gusev

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Nikita Gusev

Not sure if my search function isn't working properly, please direct me to the appropriate thread if I'm mistaken, but what the honest hell is up with tis kid?? 71 points in 57 games with SKA St. Petersburg??? Must be playing with Kovalchuk and Shipachev... speaking of the latter, is there still talk of him coming over. I just read in a rambling that Kovy might be worth a look in deep keeper leagues. But seriously, is he the next Panarin? pre-free-agency? Same age as Panarin, but 2 years ago Panarin had similar numbers to what Gusev did last year (in terms of points per gp).

Someone correct me if I'm way off at looking at all of these numbers...
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Nikita Gusev

Former, in your sentence Kovy is the former (first) the latter would be Shipachev.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Correct. Shipachev is who my question was pertaining to. Is there still talk of him coming over upon the expiration of his contract? I heard that there has been with Kovalchuck now as well.
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Feels like there is a thread every week on Gusev, but I am curious how his skill set compares to Panarin's from people who have watched him. I couldn't care less about his numbers, if that was translatable it would make things a lot easier lol.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I don't see Panarin-like upside with Gusev. More likely 50-60 points, not 70+. He's a flashy offensive player but I doubt he becomes the type of superstar some people seem to think. He could be a complete bust in the NHL actually, the KHL is perfect for his type of players. Not a lot of defensive coverage and that big ice, players like Gusev are made for that.

I think Shipachyov is more likely to become a very good NHL player if he chooses to give it a try. His 1.52 PPG is much better than Gusev's 1.25, his track record is much more impressive, and his playing style is a much better fit for the NHL. I think he could jump right into the NHL and a #2C spot but he's turning 30 in a few weeks, so it's probably now or never.