Thread: MLB adopts no pitch intentional walk

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default MLB adopts no pitch intentional walk

In 1972 I was at the Reds - A's World Series game 3 in Oakland when a Rollie Fingers struck out Johnny Bench on a fake intentional walk.
    Two strikes on Bench when Dick Williams walked to the mound indicating they were going to intentionally walk Bench.
    With catcher standing and arm out stretched for intentional walk, Fingers throws a perfect slider for strike three.

Because of the current rule change, this piece of baseball history involving my favourite A's (who have become a league farm team due to finances), came back to mind. A nice blast from the past.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: MLB adopts no pitch intentional walk

They want to speed up the game... I'd rather they ban the intentional walk rather than turn MLB into beer league rules.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    In 1972 I was at the Reds - A's World Series game 3 in Oakland when a Rollie Fingers struck out Johnny Bench on a fake intentional walk.
    Two strikes on Bench when Dick Williams walked to the mound indicating they were going to intentionally walk Bench.
    With catcher standing and arm out stretched for intentional walk, Fingers throws a perfect slider for strike three.

Because of the current rule change, this piece of baseball history involving my favourite A's (who have become a league farm team due to finances), came back to mind. A nice blast from the past.
    Ya I mean now that people are really going into how little this actually saves time wise.....I don't see the point at all.

Russell Martin's comments were great.

"By no means are intentional walks automatic, until now. Now they are. So they?re speeding up the game," said Martin. "My thing is, if they really want to speed up the game, then when a guy hits a home run, to speed up the game should a guy, just like in softball, when he hits it, should he just walk to the dugout? It?d be quicker. I?m just wondering, at what point do we just keep the game, the game? Or, how about this calculation: take all the intentional walks that were made in the last couple years and calculate ? or maybe just ask to see if they have that information, to see if they really did their homework. Is it really that important to speed up the game (with this rule)? Because how many games did we play last year where we didn't have one intentional walk? That?s something I?d like to know."

Dobber Sports All-Star

This just seems so wrong especially for the purist, and can't see it saving much time.

Last year there were 932 intentional walks for a total of 3728 pitches. Over the 2428 total games in a season, it works out to 1.54 pitches per game. I don't think I would mind hanging around for an extra 1.54 pitches per game. It does create some drama as well.

- - - Updated - - -

This just seems so wrong especially for the purist, and can't see it saving much time.

Last year there were 932 intentional walks for a total of 3728 pitches. Over the 2428 total games in a season, it works out to 1.54 pitches per game. I don't think I would mind hanging around for an extra 1.54 pitches per game. It does create some drama as well.

Dobber Sports Veteran

A lot of time wasters are just player habits. Like the batter who steps out after every pitch, undoes then does up his batting gloves, adjusts his helmet etc., then steps back into the box.

I don't have any stats but I feel as if the game were quicker prior to the DH. More managing of the rosters. Pitchers working on complete games rather than the whole bull pen getting involved. Or maybe it just seemed faster because I was younger and time seemed to fly by. Spend the afternoon at the ball park Cominsky Park, Candlestick Park, Oakland Coliseum.....
    yeah those were the days....

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of time wasters are just player habits. Like the batter who steps out after every pitch, undoes then does up his batting gloves, adjusts his helmet etc., then steps back into the box.

I don't have any stats but I feel as if the game were quicker prior to the DH. More managing of the rosters. Pitchers working on complete games rather than the whole bull pen getting involved. Or maybe it just seemed faster because I was younger and time seemed to fly by. Spend the afternoon at the ball park Cominsky Park, Candlestick Park, Oakland Coliseum.....

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    a lot of time wasters are just player habits. Like the batter who steps out after every pitch, undoes then does up his batting gloves, adjusts his helmet etc., then steps back into the box.

I don't have any stats but i feel as if the game were quicker prior to the dh. More managing of the rosters. Pitchers working on complete games rather than the whole bull pen getting involved. Or maybe it just seemed faster because i was younger and time seemed to fly by. Spend the afternoon at the ball park cominsky park, candlestick park, oakland coliseum.....
    Yeah those were the days....

- - - updated - - -

a lot of time wasters are just player habits. Like the batter who steps out after every pitch, undoes then does up his batting gloves, adjusts his helmet etc., then steps back into the box.

I don't have any stats but i feel as if the game were quicker prior to the dh. More managing of the rosters. Pitchers working on complete games rather than the whole bull pen getting involved. Or maybe it just seemed faster because i was younger and time seemed to fly by. Spend the afternoon at the ball park cominsky park, candlestick park, oakland coliseum.....
    Yeah those were the days....
    nomar garciaparra...
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed....or all the mound visits and pitching changes and waiting for said pitcher to warm up. That's where the time can be cut.

I also wonder how much the average game time goes up in September when rosters expand for no reason at the most important time of the s eason (before dropping for the most important time of the year!)

Dobber Sports Deity

This is one of my biggest pet peeves watching baseball as well. Once a batter steps into the box, he needs to stay in there. And the umps need to stop granting these guys "time out" for any stupid reason.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Earth shattering move MLB.

I'm to understand that this "change" stands to change the average time of a ball game by .... 21 seconds.

Seriously... 21 seconds. Rediculous.

Maybe they should implement a timer on the pitcher... and each and every pick off attempt at a base slashes like 5 seconds from the timer.

- - - Updated - - -

Earth shattering move MLB.

I'm to understand that this "change" stands to change the average time of a ball game by .... 21 seconds.

Seriously... 21 seconds. Rediculous.

Maybe they should implement a timer on the pitcher... and each and every pick off attempt at a base slashes like 5 seconds from the timer.

Dobber Sports Monster

i dont watch mlb as much as i use to but i wish they didnt take this out of the game. wasn't wasting that much time and if they were really concerned about shortening the game they could have made a rule change somewhere else. for me, this is like when the nhl brought in the trapezoid, never liked it...never will

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Having any type of strong opinion either way about this is so.....2017 society.

"I'm outraged about something irrelevant because I love to be outraged"

It doesn't change the game at all either way.

- - - Updated - - -

Having any type of strong opinion either way about this is so.....2017 society.

"I'm outraged about something irrelevant because I love to be outraged"

It doesn't change the game at all either way.