Thread: How much is Laine worth? Points only keep 5 + 1 free rookie keeper

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default How much is Laine worth? Points only keep 5 + 1 free rookie keeper

In this type of format, how much is Laine worth?

He's an upgrade on my current rookies by far and I would love him long term but realistically what is a fair offer?

I am afraid the other gm will only accept burns for laine but to me that's a bit steep. He does have letang but he is always hurt.
    10 Team Keep 7 + 1 Rookie
    Point's: 1 G 1 A 1.5 W 1.5 SO
    Start:10 fs, 4 D, 1 Goalies
    Daily lineups

Forwards:
    MacKinnon, McDavid, Aho, Teuvo, Schwartz, cirelli, Getzlaf, Zibanajed, Buchnevich, Hoffman, Zucker, Danault, Krejci, Gusev
    D Karlsson, Gustaffson, Letang, Krug, Hronek

Goaltenders:
    Vas, Binnington

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: How much is Laine worth? Points only keep 5 + 1 free rookie keeper

In a points only? he's not a significant upgrade over Marner... just hold Marner! Please, hold Marner.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Can you keep two rookies as long as the second one is considered when of your core 5?

In a points only your current keepers are Burns, Kucherov, Kuznetsov, Talbot then either Atinkson or Mackinnon. Plus your rookie Marner. Acquiring Laine would put him right around Kuch value just ahead of Kuzy IMO but losing Burns to do so is too steep as he's a top 2 D point getters with Karlesson and your most valuable player. If you can get Laine through a package centered around Atinkson/Mack and maybe Bishup or Vaz then I consider it. I feel points only Laine will be 70+ floor with upside for 80+.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you keep two rookies as long as the second one is considered when of your core 5?

In a points only your current keepers are Burns, Kucherov, Kuznetsov, Talbot then either Atinkson or Mackinnon. Plus your rookie Marner. Acquiring Laine would put him right around Kuch value just ahead of Kuzy IMO but losing Burns to do so is too steep as he's a top 2 D point getters with Karlesson and your most valuable player. If you can get Laine through a package centered around Atinkson/Mack and maybe Bishup or Vaz then I consider it. I feel points only Laine will be 70+ floor with upside for 80+.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Let me get this straight ... You have a chance to acquire an 18 year old kid who is PPG and has 30 goals in 55 games for a dmen that turns 32 in March

IMO you won't be able to acquire Laine for Burns.. Laine owner won't even consider

in the case he does.... Take it and runnnnn
    12 Team - 17 Players
    6 Keepers league w/Yahoo

C: Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel,
    LW: Andrei Svechnikov
    RW: Nikita Kucherov, Mitchell Marner
    D:
    G: Andrei Vasilevskiy

(G) 3 (A) 2 (+/-) 0.5 (PIM) 0.5 (PPP) 1 (SHG) 1 (GWG) 2
    (Shots) 0.1 (W) 3 (GA) -1 (SV) 0.2 (SHO) 5

2013-2014 Champion
    2017-2018 Champion
    2018-2019 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

How about a 32 year old dmen that shows no signs of slowing down that can produce over 70 points a season from the back end and might win he Hart Trophy this year. I think it's more complicated then that. Laine is going to be a super star but we don't know if he's going to bust out to more then his current pace or even regress a little bit. Look at how hot and heavy people were on Mackinnon a couple years ago. People were giving up there Malkins left right and center.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Mack still has decent name value, but in a keep 5, both players you give him need to become keepers, or at least one and a bump on his bottom roster, if he's competing. I still vehemently disagree with your statement that he's an upgrade on your keepers 'BY FAR' in a points only - that calculates goals, assists equally. Right now Marner would be your keeper rookie. I'd rather keep Kane vs. Ovechkin if you want to go for comparisons.

I would do Burns - Laine in this format, although it'll be a hard sell on such a dominate rookie - to take a 32yr old even s dominant as Burns is. If you're in love with the idea of acquiring Laine - you need to be prepared to move Kucherov or Kuznetsov to get him.

Did I mention you're crazy to not keep Marner? If you acquire Laine - I'd be keeping one of him or Marner as my rookie & 5th keeper.

Or if you think he's a bump on Marner - trade Marner for him 1-1 (but I'm against that)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Lol MacKinnon is no Laine .. As of now Laine has 6 more goals and 9 less points in 27 less games when you compare their rookie year.. The kid can shoot the puck and next to Scheifele he's gonna be a beast for the next decade

Brent burns is great, I don't want people to misunderstand me .. I love his game so much but we're talking about a kid in Laine that is truly generational

make the offer and watch it get rejected.. As amazing as burns is he simply will not be the same player in 5 years time (37 years old)

In 5 years time Laine will be a 23 year old 6"5 beast not even in his prime ..

just one mans opinion

- - - Updated - - -

Lol MacKinnon is no Laine .. As of now Laine has 6 more goals and 9 less points in 27 less games when you compare their rookie year.. The kid can shoot the puck and next to Scheifele he's gonna be a beast for the next decade

Brent burns is great, I don't want people to misunderstand me .. I love his game so much but we're talking about a kid in Laine that is truly generational

make the offer and watch it get rejected.. As amazing as burns is he simply will not be the same player in 5 years time (37 years old)

In 5 years time Laine will be a 23 year old 6"5 beast not even in his prime ..

just one mans opinion
    12 Team - 17 Players
    6 Keepers league w/Yahoo

C: Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel,
    LW: Andrei Svechnikov
    RW: Nikita Kucherov, Mitchell Marner
    D:
    G: Andrei Vasilevskiy

(G) 3 (A) 2 (+/-) 0.5 (PIM) 0.5 (PPP) 1 (SHG) 1 (GWG) 2
    (Shots) 0.1 (W) 3 (GA) -1 (SV) 0.2 (SHO) 5

2013-2014 Champion
    2017-2018 Champion
    2018-2019 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

Varlytime you make all fair points we probably just view fantasy hockey windows differently. I never look pass three years as so much can change in the hockey world in that timeline. I think Burns can still produce at his level for the next 2-3 years. D seem to hold there prime a little longer then forwards.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

These are all great points. Thanks everyone for the response
    10 Team Keep 7 + 1 Rookie
    Point's: 1 G 1 A 1.5 W 1.5 SO
    Start:10 fs, 4 D, 1 Goalies
    Daily lineups

Forwards:
    MacKinnon, McDavid, Aho, Teuvo, Schwartz, cirelli, Getzlaf, Zibanajed, Buchnevich, Hoffman, Zucker, Danault, Krejci, Gusev
    D Karlsson, Gustaffson, Letang, Krug, Hronek

Goaltenders:
    Vas, Binnington

Dobber Sports Superstar

Just to add some perspective, Laine is playing over his head right now. His S% is an unsustainable 20% by any standard, and his on ice team S% is 14.5%, which is massive. Most teams hover around 8 or 9%. He and Winnipeg will both be regressing down the stretch and/or next year. Combine that with the rookie race hype and his value is inflated right now.

The only recent players to finish above 20% were Sergey Kostitsyn in 10-11, Curtis Glencrosse in 11-12, Patrik Berglund in 12-13, Gabriel Borque in 12-13 and Brendan Morrow in 12-13. That list doesn't inspire confidence.

The highest current career S% is Steven Stamkos, at 17.1%, who I think is a very good comparison to Laine.

Expect Laine to be a 75 point goal heavy player moving forward with potential for a big year here and there.

Is he worth Burns? Tough question. Depends where you are in terms of competing. I'll take Burns for the next 2-3 years.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Sorry to bump, but I'm curious as to whether you offered Burns or not and whether it was accepted?