Thread: Justin Schultz - long term

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Justin Schultz - long term

what do you all see in Schultz's future? he's an UFA after this season, and I assume he'll be getting a solid 4-5 years, at least 5mil per year contract. if he goes back to Pittsburgh, it'll be totally worth it, but what happens if the pens can't afford him? will he be anywhere near this good on another team with a PP that isn't as good, or has he proven how good he is and he'll be worth that price anywhere else?

so what do you see happening? goes back to Pittsburgh, or goes somewhere else and is/isn't worth the price?

and btw should I be worried about his injury for the rest of this season, or will he be back soon and back to where he was before?

I...am your father.

Default Re: Justin Schultz - long term

With the contract that he's earned, he'll get several years at $4+ at the very least. With that kind of contract, it will ensure that he gets top PP time and very good ice time and he'll keep getting it even if he has a huge slump. So the question becomes team fit, as you say.
    He's worth it in Pittsburgh, and there are probably 10 or 15 other teams what it would really work too. But another dozen teams where it won't work. But even on a poor team I think he's a safe 35-point guy, he just wouldn't reach that tremendous upside

- - - Updated - - -

With the contract that he's earned, he'll get several years at $4+ at the very least. With that kind of contract, it will ensure that he gets top PP time and very good ice time and he'll keep getting it even if he has a huge slump. So the question becomes team fit, as you say.
    He's worth it in Pittsburgh, and there are probably 10 or 15 other teams what it would really work too. But another dozen teams where it won't work. But even on a poor team I think he's a safe 35-point guy, he just wouldn't reach that tremendous upside
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Great One

I worry about players who disappoint until they're playing for their very future. There tends to be a high incidence of disappointment once they get paid. I'd be selling on Schultz, not buying or holding.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

One thing that will play into this is that he is an RFA. So this might mean that Pittsburgh will be able to sign him a bit cheaper, which would be huge for his near future.

Cause if another team decides to sign him, they will have to give up some picks.

Also Daley and Kunitz will be off the books next year, hopefully meaning there is room for him in Pitts. As much as I am anti-Pitts, I also have him in my dynasty league so.... haha

Dobber Sports Stud

my bad. I thought he was a UFA after this season. I double checked, and penguinhunter, you're right, he's a RFA. that means he'll probably stay in Pittsburgh, which should be great for him.

Dobber Sports Stud

my bad. I thought he was a UFA after this season. I double checked, and penguinhunter, you're right, he's a RFA. that means he'll probably stay in Pittsburgh, which should be great for him.

Dobber Sports Sage

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...s/201702230050

Scroll down to the bottom, it pretty much sums up the situation. I bet Schultz signs a reasonably team-friendly long-term deal to stay in Pittsburgh. Their team weakness is on the blueline and they recognize it, so he will be re-upped for a nice raise and some security.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/02/23/nhl-trade-rumors-jim-rutherford-marc-andre-fleury-pittsburgh-penguins/stories/201702230050

Scroll down to the bottom, it pretty much sums up the situation. I bet Schultz signs a reasonably team-friendly long-term deal to stay in Pittsburgh. Their team weakness is on the blueline and they recognize it, so he will be re-upped for a nice raise and some security.