Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Craig Button's Top 50 NHL-Affiliated Prospects NOT in the NHL

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Craig Button's Top 50 NHL-Affiliated Prospects NOT in the NHL

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Why exactly is Strome too high? He should be #1 on that list in my opinion. I don't see anyone else on the list with better NHL projection than him. Some players might be flashier than him but I believe he will be the most valuable NHL player from that list.
    His skating is really not up to NHL standards and I just think more prospects in Ari are passing him by. I have been reading lots of scouts very disappointed in his season to date, he really should have grabbed at least the #3 C role in Ari. I could of course be wrong on his outcome (who is ever right), but I just see him as at best a 2nd liner
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Genius

Nice to see Roslovic squeezing in (not that the list means anything). His speed, skill level and compete surprised me at training camp.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'm still a bit compuzzled how Pulock did not make this list. 10g 14a in 30 AHL games this season, he's still progressing and pegged to be a top pair Dman...
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    His skating is really not up to NHL standards and I just think more prospects in Ari are passing him by. I have been reading lots of scouts very disappointed in his season to date, he really should have grabbed at least the #3 C role in Ari. I could of course be wrong on his outcome (who is ever right), but I just see him as at best a 2nd liner
    Not all prospects develop at same pace, and despite how shocking it may seem to some people, there are lots of great players who have played junior hockey at the age of 19. The center position is so difficult to play at the NHL level, and I don't see him having any success playing wing. Ryan Getzlaf is one example of a player who played two more years in junior after he was drafted, yet he became a great NHL center. Mark Scheifele is a more recent example.

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'm still a bit compuzzled how Pulock did not make this list. 10g 14a in 30 AHL games this season, he's still progressing and pegged to be a top pair Dman...
    I can't remember ever thinking he could become a top pair D-man. I actually don't even remember reading about such a projection. There's also nothing wrong with being a 2nd pair D-man, those guys are earning $4M+ and are crucial for team success. That's where I see Pulock ending up. But yeah, he probably should have been on the list.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Not all prospects develop at same pace, and despite how shocking it may seem to some people, there are lots of great players who have played junior hockey at the age of 19. The center position is so difficult to play at the NHL level, and I don't see him having any success playing wing. Ryan Getzlaf is one example of a player who played two more years in junior after he was drafted, yet he became a great NHL center. Mark Scheifele is a more recent example.

I can't remember ever thinking he could become a top pair D-man. I actually don't even remember reading about such a projection. There's also nothing wrong with being a 2nd pair D-man, those guys are earning $4M+ and are crucial for team success. That's where I see Pulock ending up. But yeah, he probably should have been on the list.
    I read it here: http://www.dobberprospects.com/ryan-pulock/

Dobber Sports Grand Master

All I know about Button is he's absolutely terrible and shouldn't be employed. So that's about how much stock I put in this list.

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree that Pulock is not top pairing material, but that he should've been on the list.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I must have missed that. Potential top pair D-men are usually drafted in the top-10 unless they're late bloomers which Pulock wasn't since he already had 3 very productive junior seasons under his belt when he was drafted. But like I said, there's nothing wrong with becoming a 2nd pair D-man. Those guys still play 20+ minutes per game and with Pulock's offensive game, that will include PP time as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    All I know about Button is he's absolutely terrible and shouldn't be employed. So that's about how much stock I put in this list.
    Disagree, he's passionate and very knowledgable about prospects. People love to hate anybody. He's one hundred times better than Corey pronman and fake scouts

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    Disagree, he's passionate and very knowledgable about prospects. People love to hate anybody. He's one hundred times better than Corey pronman and fake scouts
    Quite frankly, he's an idiot. But we can agree to disagree. Passion doesn't prevent stupidity.

Dobber Sports Genius

I like Button, for the record, and I always enjoy his take on prospects.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    I personally like this list. Obviously I have some differing opinions but overall I like it.

I don't subscribe to some players that get hyped up with gaudy junior totals, and it seems like Button is the same. Him and I are often on the same page for a number of guys.

Jake Virtanen in the 40's pre draft 2014... bang on! HE definitely has his misses too, like we all do though.
    Button was a big reason why I had Virtanen outside my top-10 in 2014. Everyone else had him really high (#7 on TSN ranking, #7 on ISS ranking) but thanks to Button I ranked Virtanen a bit lower which pretty much guaranteed I wouldn't be getting him because others were still high on him.

Other good rankings from Button in 2014:
    - He ranked Nick Ritchie #16 while all other rankings had him in the top-10 - Ritchie is a good player but he wasn't a top-10 prospect
    - He ranked Travis Sanheim #8 while other rankings didn't even have him in their top-20 - that's looking like a solid find as well

But other rankings that don't look so great right now:
    - Adrian Kempe at #10 (others had him on average #25)
    - Vladislav Kamenev at #12 (others had him on average #38)

Both have a good future but he ranked both a bit too high. But yeah, I think his ranking is a valuable addition to the others that are available. That's why I love starting my own draft list with average from at least 4 different sources; if someone is really high or really low on someone (big difference from the average), I take notice. Button isn't afraid to say it if he feels different than others. Although sometimes it feels like he might be doing it on purpose if there are no good options available.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Quite frankly, he's an idiot. But we can agree to disagree. Passion doesn't prevent stupidity.
    You say that about everyone so this isn't surprising.

He's extremely plugged into the prospect world and knows his stuff.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I must have missed that. Potential top pair D-men are usually drafted in the top-10 unless they're late bloomers which Pulock wasn't since he already had 3 very productive junior seasons under his belt when he was drafted. But like I said, there's nothing wrong with becoming a 2nd pair D-man. Those guys still play 20+ minutes per game and with Pulock's offensive game, that will include PP time as well.
    Personally, I think the jury is still out on what he becomes. NYI has taken the long approach in the hopes the extra top pair minutes & situational exposure in the AHL translate to the NHL. I'd wager a bet 2nd pair is his floor.

He went 15th overall, so it's not like he was drafted back in Duncan Keith, Shea Weber, or Roman Josi territory. More in Karlsson draft territory. Basically, I'm just providing examples that illustrate being drafted outside of the top 10 isn't a death sentence of becoming a top pairing Dman. Obviously, there's a stronger correlation of becoming one, if you're drafted in the top 10, but you still find Luke Schenn's there.

I think being on the Isles is going to open up top pair minutes and opportunity. But as Shattenkirk has shown, being a 2nd pair Dman is not a hindrance to production.

regardless, he should be in button's top 50. I would have had him around 36-40, just behind Theodore & Honka.

Dobber Sports Superstar

hopefully Shestyorkin can translate his KHL dominance to the NHL once Lundqvist fades.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov