Thread: Trade Holtby to get Gibson... thoughts on this playoff strategy?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Trade Holtby to get Gibson... thoughts on this playoff strategy?

I have a bunch of goalies but can start only 2 each day.  We do daily changes.  During our playoffs (the 3 weeks starting Mar. 13), Anaheim plays on many "off" days, which means Gibson will be playing during days that most goalies aren't. The goalies I have mostly play on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays while Gibson plays on a bunch of Wed, Fri. and Sundays.

Is it not wise to trade away Holtby for Gibson so that I can basically have a starting goalie each day of the week? i.e. I think it'd be better to play Jones and Anderson (or Helleybuck or Pickard) on Tuesday and Thursday, and Gibson on Wed and Friday, rather than Holtby and Jones on Tues and Thurs, no?  In other words, I'd have 6 goalie starts instead of just 4.

I tried trading Jones already for Gibson but got shot down.

Thoughts?

Holtby
    Jones
    Anderson
    Condon
    Helleybuck
    Pickard
    One year league. Points, PP, and +/-only. Daily league. 10 teams, 20 player rosters.

8 F:
    4 D:
    2 G:

I...am your father.

Default Re: Trade Holtby to get Gibson... thoughts on this playoff strategy?

You can't trade Jones or Anderson instead? Has to be Holtby? To me Holtby is untouchable, but I like the strategy
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for the reply. I tried to trade Jones but he said no. I didn't bother with Anderson since I figured he was valued less than Jones. I typically would agree that Holtby is untouchable but I keep coming back to the question of which would one rather have for those 3 weeks..
    Holtby and Jones OR
    Gibson and Jones and Anderson/Helleybuck/Pickard (depending on if backups play)

Total points in this league so I keep thinking.. 50% more goalie starts could be huge.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. I tried to trade Jones but he said no. I didn't bother with Anderson since I figured he was valued less than Jones. I typically would agree that Holtby is untouchable but I keep coming back to the question of which would one rather have for those 3 weeks..
    Holtby and Jones OR
    Gibson and Jones and Anderson/Helleybuck/Pickard (depending on if backups play)

Total points in this league so I keep thinking.. 50% more goalie starts could be huge.
    One year league. Points, PP, and +/-only. Daily league. 10 teams, 20 player rosters.

8 F:
    4 D:
    2 G:

The Great One

Id wait until closer to your playoffs to consider a move like this.

Worst case scenario you make that move now and Gibson goes down with an injury.

If you decide to make the trade, you could make the trade whenever you wanted. Balls in your court.

Dobber Sports Superstar

agree with Guru gotta wait it out, it's a wise strategy but you should be getting so much more for Holtby regardless.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Novice

I see Gibson is now IR for a bit. I think I'll try the Jones for Gibson offer again... one would think an owner would jump at that, no? It's a win for me, b/c I don't really need Jones for the next couple weeks (since I'm locked into playoffs) and a win for him since he can use Jones instead of the now hurt Gibson. I guess we'll see.

8 F:
    4 D:
    2 G: