Thread: Matt Murray or Martin Jones (ROS + next year?)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Matt Murray or Martin Jones (ROS + next year?)

Wins
    GAA
    Saves
    Shutouts

are 4 of 11 h2h Categories in our keep 6 (any position - GM choice) We have 8 teams but could go to 10 by next year with expansion. I am currently part of the 3 headed monster battling it out for 1st place and have as much of a shot as anyone at winning - so Im going for it.

Keepers: Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Pavelski, Laine + one of the 2 goalies in subject line.

My dilemmas are:

1) ROS - the decision for the home stretch here as to which to go with (in the event I trade one for upgrade at goalie, and yes an upgrade on both is available)

2) Keeper choice - In the event I dont trade one at the deadline here & if I have to choose between one of the 2 for my 6th keeper spot for next year's group, which would you keep and which to drop at year end. Our league isn't one where I'll be able to move one very easily (although I'll try) and I am OK with the drop if no trades take place. My keeper group is strong enough to handle the drop, I just want to make sure I make the right decisions.

This is a decision Id like to determine this week, deadline approaching.
    Thx

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Matt Murray or Martin Jones (ROS + next year?)

I think Jones has the upper hand in all your cats except for shut outs.

Dobber Sports Superstar

the fact of the matter is just boil down your thinking to this; Jones has absolutely NO competition for his job whilst Murray always has the flower thorn in his side until he potentially gets traded. Both teams are built around older cores although SJ's is def older but Jones gets a ******ed workload so he's the guy. Only so many workhorses in the league and he is one of the premier ones. I'll be keeping both though for sure in my keeper but def if I had to choose one no contest it is Martin.

- - - Updated - - -

the fact of the matter is just boil down your thinking to this; Jones has absolutely NO competition for his job whilst Murray always has the flower thorn in his side until he potentially gets traded. Both teams are built around older cores although SJ's is def older but Jones gets a ******ed workload so he's the guy. Only so many workhorses in the league and he is one of the premier ones. I'll be keeping both though for sure in my keeper but def if I had to choose one no contest it is Martin.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

OK, thanks, must be the penguins colored glasses I look through most of the time. I suppose my (Final) follow up would be that in the event that Fleury does move on by deadline, does the gap between Jones and Murray tighten? At what point would Murray (/could he) equal or surpass Jones in a similar environment where there is no competition for the crease?

Let me add this. The upgrade I'm referring to in the OP is Holtby. I can likely acquire him without sacrificing my keeper structure tremendously; maybe just some picks thrown into the package? I know that if it comes down to Holtby vs Jones, its Holtby, so if I need to trade Jones in order to do the deal, does your logic re: Jones over Murray fade away because were talking about the beat goalie out there?

If so, then I would assume that the (new) logic would be to try and trade Murray to get Holtby to go with Jones the rest of this year as a stronger option than Murray/Holtby. And in the event that fails, then resume with moving Jones to get the deal done? Holtby becomes the goalie moving forward?

Thx again guys,
    any other thoughts given the new info?

- - - Updated - - -

OK, thanks, must be the penguins colored glasses I look through most of the time. I suppose my (Final) follow up would be that in the event that Fleury does move on by deadline, does the gap between Jones and Murray tighten? At what point would Murray (/could he) equal or surpass Jones in a similar environment where there is no competition for the crease?

Let me add this. The upgrade I'm referring to in the OP is Holtby. I can likely acquire him without sacrificing my keeper structure tremendously; maybe just some picks thrown into the package? I know that if it comes down to Holtby vs Jones, its Holtby, so if I need to trade Jones in order to do the deal, does your logic re: Jones over Murray fade away because were talking about the beat goalie out there?

If so, then I would assume that the (new) logic would be to try and trade Murray to get Holtby to go with Jones the rest of this year as a stronger option than Murray/Holtby. And in the event that fails, then resume with moving Jones to get the deal done? Holtby becomes the goalie moving forward?

Thx again guys,
    any other thoughts given the new info?

Dobber Sports Immortal

I still like Murray. MAF is in permanent backup role and when he plays it's a 4-3 game.

Administrator

Murray for me.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust