Thread: Pick 2 of 3: Vlasic, Savard & Bernier

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Pick 2 of 3: Vlasic, Savard & Bernier

I have to clear out cap space to activate Savard off IR finally (I know, our league has lax IR rules - its actually awesome)

They're all around the same cap hit and I only have room for 2. Trust me, I want to fit them all but I simply can't, I crunched the numbers over and over and it's impossible.

It's a 20 team salary cap dynasty league. We have 22 active roster and 25 minors.

David Savard is 26 and has a cap hit of $4,250,000. He has 4 seasons left on his contact after this one

Marc-Edouard Vlasic is 29 (turns 30 in March) and carries a cap hit of $4,250,000. He has 1 season left of his contract after this season

Jonathan Bernier is 28 and has a cap it of $4,150,000. He is a UFA after this season

It's important to know a little about the makeup of my team.

My goalies are John Gibson and that's it other than Bernier obviously. Seems kind of worth it to keep Bernier on as handcuff but honestly Gibson has been a workhorse recently and the fact that Bernier is a UFA makes him even less attractive, because he could not be Gibsons backup next season and that's like 95% of the reason I own him. There's also the possibility he becomes a starter somewhere, but I don't think he faired very well in that roll in TOR. The other side of the coin is that goalies are extremely valuable in this league and super hard to acquire.... So there's that

My D Corp is as follows: Giordano, Hedman, McDonagh, Werenski, Trouba and Edler. I also have Dumoulin, Stecher and Trevor Van Reimsdyk on bench in addition to Vlasic, and Savard on IR. I'm also flush with D prospects: Chabot, Clague, Girard, Caleb Jones, Ladue, Montour, Myers, Reilly, Saarijarvi, Sanheim, Walman and Kyle Wood...

I like defenseman, can you tell? LOL

Savard and Vlasic probably seem redundant based on my stacked D Corp but the thing is that our league counts hits and blocks as well as plus minus, which both these D men excel at. Vlasic is especially good at BLKs and Savard is great at +/- and sprinkles in hits and blocks in surprisingly even numbers. Vlasic gets time on the second PP unit, Savard is a PK guy, not much PP time. He does have a great shot and good offensive instincts. In a way Savard sort of reminds me of Vlasic when I see him play.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards trading or dropping Bernier. I came in to see if that's an ill advised decision, since I own Gibson and my D Corp is so strong.

I'd probably likely stick with Savard regardless based on the 4 seasons remaining on his contact. So essentially it's down to Vlasic and Bernier and Vlasic provides so much more value and fantasy production than a backup netminder.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. This community rocks!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Pick 2 of 3: Vlasic, Savard & Bernier

If you have to drop someone, it should be Bernier. But I would rather trade one of the D-men. Bernier has no value to any other GM, so you're not going to be able to trade him. You have so many good D-men already that you can trade one of them. I might actually trade Edler if someone is willing to take him.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah I guess I kind of agree. The other thing is that it's a very tight cap ceiling (we us the NHL's $73,000,000). So defenseman like Edler, Vlasic and Savard are commonly dropped to waiver wire all the time. In fact that's where I scooped Edler and Vlasic. Edler has really come on recently and I know he's the oldest of the bunch but he gives Hits/BLKs and good offensive stats, eventhough Stecher took over the PP1QB role, he might be able to take it back on an offense starved Canucks team.

So what I'm saying is that your assessment on Bernier is correct but I also think the trade value of these defenseman, while extremely productive in this league, is rather low. Based on the fact that guys like Phaneuf, Mike Green, Jack Johnson, Chara, Orpik and loads of other extremely impactful veteran fantasy DMen have been on and off waivers to this season. Mainly this is because of their high cap hits and low league cap ceiling. No GM is gonna part with even a 2nd round pick or mid tier prospect for them anyways. The other thing is my minors roster is at capacity and pretty well stocked so I'd actually have to make a drop (albeit just a prospect) still if I were to complete a trade of one of those D guys for a prospect. The only really logical trade move would be to try to get a pick for any of Bernier, Vlasic, Savard or Edler (as your suggested) but I doubt I'd be able to successfully land a 2018 2nd let alone a 2017 2nd. And a 3rd round pick is garbage in my eyes, especially in this weak draft class and when you consider that all players from this draft class that go undrafted in my league will be available off waivers/will become free agents once the draft is complete.

Does that change your opinion/decision any?

Dobber Sports Genius

Keep Vlasic and Savard

- - - Updated - - -

Keep Vlasic and Savard
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah definitely keep Vlasic and Savard over Bernier.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah definitely keep Vlasic and Savard over Bernier.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket