Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's next for Halak?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default What's next for Halak?

Seems too good to just go away?

Greiss is good and played well enough to keep Halak in the minors where he's tearing it up!

What do you expect for the rest of this season then going forward after this season?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: What's next for Halak?

If the Islanders are willing to eat cap (and one has to assume they would) then I can see someone taking a chance on him at the deadline for insurance. I wouldn't mind seeing the Oilers take a swing at him if the Islanders eat half that $4.5M. He's still signed for one more year so that's not a bad thing either so if the Islanders can deal him, there's your answer going forward (short term).

He's won 12 straight games in the AHL by the way and is 12-1-1 so far. Proves he took his demotion with the right attitude and wants to get back.

- - - Updated - - -

If the Islanders are willing to eat cap (and one has to assume they would) then I can see someone taking a chance on him at the deadline for insurance. I wouldn't mind seeing the Oilers take a swing at him if the Islanders eat half that $4.5M. He's still signed for one more year so that's not a bad thing either so if the Islanders can deal him, there's your answer going forward (short term).

He's won 12 straight games in the AHL by the way and is 12-1-1 so far. Proves he took his demotion with the right attitude and wants to get back.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I agree, just picked him up in a deep pool for Pominville.
    Goalies are a premium in this pool, if he comes back I win...if not I get spanked!

I agree with the effort in the minors, should help get him back...

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, just picked him up in a deep pool for Pominville.
    Goalies are a premium in this pool, if he comes back I win...if not I get spanked!

I agree with the effort in the minors, should help get him back...

The Great One

I have a hard time seeing the Islanders wanting to go back to the 3-headed goalie monster. Would not surprise me in the least if Halak stays in the minors all year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Trade deadline is only 9 days away, so it's not a bad idea to stash him away until

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Edit button not working... Trade deadline is only 10 days away, so it's not a bad idea to stash him away until march 1st and then dropping him after that. Unless of course you have limited moves left in the season.

Dobber Sports Master

handful of teams could use him as 1b setup

as axeman says , only if isles eat about half of his contract or isles take a contract back .

snow might just keep him and use him as the expansion goat .if vegas passes then he's only got one year left which makes him more attractive to teams looking for a short term solution in 17/18

- - - Updated - - -

handful of teams could use him as 1b setup

as axeman says , only if isles eat about half of his contract or isles take a contract back .

snow might just keep him and use him as the expansion goat .if vegas passes then he's only got one year left which makes him more attractive to teams looking for a short term solution in 17/18

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Cpedersen84 View Post
    Edit button not working... Trade deadline is only 10 days away, so it's not a bad idea to stash him away until march 1st and then dropping him after that. Unless of course you have limited moves left in the season.
    open the quote in a new tab and it works just fine.

while I see your logic, I tend to think that if there was any market for halak...he would have been traded by now. I'm starting to think he might be a buyout candidate.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dropping Domingue for Halak a good play?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin_co View Post
    Dropping Domingue for Halak a good play?
    Probably not. Even if Halak gets moved, he's going to a place where he will be a support goalie (much like Domingue right now) at best. Team will want him for insurance, not to play a regular role. At least with Domingue, you know he's in the NHL. There's no guarantees that Halak gets moved.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

berube looked weak last night even though isles won .

the isles might be better served using greiss-halak for a playoff push because greiss cant play them all

- - - Updated - - -

berube looked weak last night even though isles won .

the isles might be better served using greiss-halak for a playoff push because greiss cant play them all

my prediction...

Greiss has a bit of a shaky game in the playoffs, Halak comes in and doesn't give up the starting position.

Making it a tougher decision for Snow...by the way, how does that guy still have a job?

Dobber Sports Star

Not sure what to make of it. Berube hasn't played well at all and Greiss will need to rest sooner or later. If he's not up now, I can't see him back this year. Unless Greiss or Berube gets hurt of course.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by islefan31 View Post
    Not sure what to make of it. Berube hasn't played well at all and Greiss will need to rest sooner or later. If he's not up now, I can't see him back this year. Unless Greiss or Berube gets hurt of course.
    Shocking that a goalie who has barely played for two years is rusty. I think everyone should have seen that coming. What is shocking is that the Islanders had him sitting for so long and then expected him to be great when they finally made room for him. Greiss-Halak would have been a solid pair all this time but they had to mess it up because they didn't want others to get Berube. And now he sucks anyways, so they'll likely go back to Greiss-Halak for next season when they can't find a taker for Halak. Such a great example of terrible team management.

Like I said...how does Snow still have a job, this isn't the first blunder by him...
    I was hoping some team would pick up Halak and he'd make Snow look even worse