Thread: Ryan Spooner - Is this it?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Ryan Spooner - Is this it?

After last season i expected Spooner to continue to progress. He looked like an important younger piece on an aging Bruins team.
    I didn't expect annual all star appearances, but I didn't think a good 2nd line C or wing, with high PPP and moderate FW. Thought he could be a 55 to 60 point player on top.

He had a poor start to the season, but has been picking it up of late. At 25, he should be nearing his better years. But now he's not even getting FW which has hurt his fantasy appeal.

I'm considering what to do in a deep Dynasty. Leaning toward trading him, but don't want to undersell him either. Thought maybe Spooner, Eaves and a late 1st round rookie pick for Stephan or something. Not going to get a much better C in this leGue. Guys like Kopitar, Galchenyuk, Johanson, Kadri etc... would cost me quite a bit more in this league.

Team in sig
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

The Great One

Default Re: Ryan Spooner - Is this it?

I'm not convinced that we have seen everything from it yet but I would be tempted to move Eaves so if this is the only way to get it done I don't think I'd mind it

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not convinced that we have seen everything from it yet but I would be tempted to move Eaves so if this is the only way to get it done I don't think I'd mind it
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Deity

The coaching change has breathed a bit of new life into him. Julien wasn't a fan but his former AHL coach knows him well and is a fan. He has moved Spooner back to his natural center position on the 3rd line and he's found some early chemistry with Jimmy Hayes and Frank Vatrano. I am still not expected much but he should be better than he's been this season.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Opportunity is also key here. Has spooner really ever been given a chance to be a true top 6 guy? I don't follow Boston enough to answer that, but at the same time I'm not sure he's really earned it either.

Unfortunately, unless he gets a break/trade etc, I think it's more of the same for him. Top 6/9 teeener and some ebs and flows for him

- - - Updated - - -

Opportunity is also key here. Has spooner really ever been given a chance to be a true top 6 guy? I don't follow Boston enough to answer that, but at the same time I'm not sure he's really earned it either.

Unfortunately, unless he gets a break/trade etc, I think it's more of the same for him. Top 6/9 teeener and some ebs and flows for him

Dobber Sports Padawan

And in my salary cap league, he need to resign for what? 2-2.5m? So that decreases his value quite a bit unless he could reach 50 points...
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

He's had a few opporunities in the top six, as a winger, mainly due to injury. Unless Bergeron or Krejci go down with an injury he won't see it at center and that seems to be where Cassidy wants to play him.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Spooner has always been the 3rd center, as he will always be behind Krejci and Berg.

Considering his role he has done quite well. Look at other comparibles, like Bonino in Pitts
    I think Spooner is seeing ice time with Jimmy Hayes these days... not a recipe to break out

Dobber Sports Monster

I think he will eventually get back to 50-55 pt range. Very talented player, creative and can skate very well. Just a down year and a new coach could help him too

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    Spooner has always been the 3rd center, as he will always be behind Krejci and Berg.

Considering his role he has done quite well. Look at other comparibles, like Bonino in Pitts
    I think Spooner is seeing ice time with Jimmy Hayes these days... not a recipe to break out
    He hasn't always been the 3rd line center. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Cassidy just recently moved him back to that spot. Julien had him on the wing for the majority of this year with Krejci.

http://dobberhockey.com/players/ryan-spooner

Administrator

Players go through ups and downs. The way I see it he's better as a center and in Boston he's no better than #3 barring injury. Not much upside in that role.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Ah thanks for responses. I have been trying hard to move Eaves first. No one biting on him though.

And glad to see some optimism with Spooner. Been considering offering him for Buchnevic. But I'll see if I can move Eaves first.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah thanks for responses. I have been trying hard to move Eaves first. No one biting on him though.

And glad to see some optimism with Spooner. Been considering offering him for Buchnevic. But I'll see if I can move Eaves first.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Monster

If you can get Buchnevich for Spoons that would be great for your team imo