Thread: Playoff Draft Preparation

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Playoff Draft Preparation

Hello guys,

Do you have any creative ways to prepare for NHL playoff Drafts? And creative spreadsheets you use or anything else?

For example, I am using the NHL power rankings from February 1 onwards to determine which team has been the strongest per all the NHL writers from February 1 to end of season.

If you have any creative ways or suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Playoff Draft Preparation

I have a bracket in excel that I shift around 100 times usually starting in mid-March.
    As for picking which team wins, it's mainly based on gut feel. I do look into a few stats though, mainly special teams and goal differential. And then simply picking the best set of skaters off my top 4 teams, as well as the goalie off one of the finals teams. Mind you I have never actually won a hockey pool, so it's not exactly foolproof.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Last year I nailed the SJ and Pittsburgh match-up (pause for applause......) by looking at which teams were entering on an upswing, plus favorable first round match-ups. There's also something to be said for banking on teams with a lot of UFAs and RFAs since the playoffs is a change to make a splash that could really make a difference in the $$ they get that summer. And lastly, shaky goalies are bad bets.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

how lucky do you feel?

Dobber Sports Monster

i'll make it easy for you....

just pick chicago + washington players for the finals

- - - Updated - - -

i'll make it easy for you....

just pick chicago + washington players for the finals

Dobber Sports Icon

My playoff strategy has always been to finish first or last. To do this, I pick teams that I think have good chances of going to the finals but most of the other people in my drafts do not think very highly of. Last year, I went with Sharks/Blues/Red Wings/Flyers. I had only 12 points from my Wings and Flyers but still won the pool because my Sharks and Blues had so many points.

Dobber Sports Monster

i got a $50 playoff pool coming up, draft style. am going to target chicago + washington players. once all the top players on those teams are all gone im going to zero in on the teams i think will make the ECF and WCF (San Jose, NYR)

Dobber Sports Padawan

I have won several playoff pools in the last ~5 years, it really depends on your format though. I play the type that you draft and then leave it until the end and see what happens. So really, choose the right teams
    I'd like to say that I've won because of my awesome picks, but it was luck as much as anything. Choosing LA when they come in at 8th seed and win it all. Choosing NJ when they go to the cup final. Then again last year I choose Pittsburgh, and the guy who won had focused on St.Louis & SJ and beat me out. The only consistent thing is that it never seems to be who people expect!

Another resource is going through stats on NHL.com (or any site) and looking at former playoff performances. Look for guys who particularly elevate in the playoffs (TyJo, Parise, etc)