Thread: Grade these prospects

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Grade these prospects

Hey, in a salary keeper league, have a MLP (minor league player bench) where you can place 5 rookies (under 26gp) in and carry into next year that doesn't conflict with your main keeper list.

Just curious if some people could grade these players

Kiril Kaprizov - Top six scorer with 1st line potential possibly. 70+ point upside. ETA: 2018-2019
    Sam Steel - Top nine player, could play in all situations, possible top six upside. 50+ point upside. ETA: 2018-2019
    Mikhail Sergachev - Top pairing D, will eat heavy minutes and play in every situation 35/40+ point upside. ETA: 2017-2018
    Samuel Girard - Boom/bust QB D, silky smooth everything, lack of size and crazy depth of Nashville presents a problem. 45+ point upside. ETA: 2019-2020
    Nikita Gusev - Top six winger, good chance he plays with buddy Kucherov, high risk of not coming over?? 55+ point upside. ETA: 2018-2019
    Anthony Stolarz - Big goalie, moves well, not a high pedigree goalie, but has done well in AHL and looked good at NHL level so far. Upside 1A/Split goalie. ETA: 2017-2018

There's six here, I'm going to have to drop one of them. Girard is huge boom or bust, and quite a far ways out, but if I drop he will get picked up. Stolarz isn't a high prized prospect, but Philly's goaltending is shaky and their other young goalie prospects are years away from even sniffing at NHL, plus goalies who carve a good career in NHL just as often come from low draft picks/undrafted players as high pedigree 1st round draft picks. Stolarz just a stop gap for Philly?

I've read Sam Steel was considered a top 5-10 pick at start of the year going into last years draft, but injuries and not playing up to expectations dropped him to 30th. Is this year the real deal Sam Steel, or just a flash in the pan?
    Does Gusev end up coming over, or likely he stays in KHL?

Long read I know lol, any answers/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

The Great One

Default Re: Grade these prospects

I like Steel but he is the furthest away and if any of the other rookies emerge in the time in the way they should then you'd be able to reacquire him +++

personally ly he is my drop
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I feel like it's a toss-up between Gusev and Stolarz here. And Gusev is only being considered due to a questionable arrival.

In truth, Stolarz is a developmental placeholder for Philly's younger goalie studs and doesn't stand to be more than a backup in the PHI organization. I would expect PHI to acquire a starter this offseason (Bishop? Darling? Who knows...) and let the 1A/1B tandem they currently have go full UFA.

So I guess I'm choosing Stolarz as your drop. But this isn't as clear a choice as my writing makes it out to be.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Jenner Frost Novak ---Rossi Cooley MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson Yager
    LW: Caufield Fiala Hagel Nichushkin ---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brink Kakko ---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan Lekkerimaki
    D : Theodore Seider Chabot Gostisbehere Liljegren Carlo ---Edvinsson
    G : Montembault Hart ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Zellweger Fehervary

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts
    2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Monster

Kiril Kaprizov - A
    Sam Steel - B
    Mikhail Sergachev - B+
    Samuel Girard - C+
    Nikita Gusev - B+
    Anthony Stolarz - C

Ive been trying to scoop up both Kaprizov and Gusev in all my leagues. I'm no professional scout but Gusev impresses me right now more than Kaprizov but then again Kaprizov is 5 years younger. I just hope the GOOSE comes over the pond this summer but most likely not until the 18-19 season.

Gusev is very good friends with Nikita Kucherov and in one article he stated he had every intention on playing in the National Hockey League one day. Id keep Kaprizov and the GOOSE if you could. Id drop Girard or Stolarz without question and keep the russians!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I avoid goalies from Philadelphia at all costs. They never seem to pan out. Even when they sign a goalie that has played well elsewhere, he comes in and does horrible. I think Stolarz is the guy to drop here.

Dobber Sports Icon

I would drop Girard. He is not more talented than Ryan Ellis. Ellis was drafted in 2009 and people are still waiting for him to put up great offensive numbers at the NHL level. Girard is stuck behind too many very good offensive dmen to make an impact in the near future. If he does show offensive promise it's going to be in the AHL in a couple of years as he will be playing in the Q again next season. There is lots of time to reacquire him.

Stolarz has the potential of being an NHL starting goalie next season even though I don't think he's as good as Alex Lyon is and Philadelphia has to acquire another goalie signed for next season before the expansion draft. I don't think Stolarz will be a starting goalie in the NHL but he's a lot closer to having value in a fantasy league.

- - - Updated - - -

I would drop Girard. He is not more talented than Ryan Ellis. Ellis was drafted in 2009 and people are still waiting for him to put up great offensive numbers at the NHL level. Girard is stuck behind too many very good offensive dmen to make an impact in the near future. If he does show offensive promise it's going to be in the AHL in a couple of years as he will be playing in the Q again next season. There is lots of time to reacquire him.

Stolarz has the potential of being an NHL starting goalie next season even though I don't think he's as good as Alex Lyon is and Philadelphia has to acquire another goalie signed for next season before the expansion draft. I don't think Stolarz will be a starting goalie in the NHL but he's a lot closer to having value in a fantasy league.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would drop Girard but Stolarz is also an option. I agree with the comments above, so I have nothing else to add.