Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is the likelihood that Bishop and Fleury get traded?

Administrator

Default Re: What is the likelihood that Bishop and Fleury get traded?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Robbie View Post
    If Bishop does wind up in StL, does that help him? Under Hitchcock my assumption would have been yes, but not sure now.
    Similar to Ryan Miller a while back - hit or miss. How he plays his first few games would set the tone. Lots of uncertainty.

Cop-out answer but it's the truth.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Completely agree Eric, there are a lot of counter points. I just see it as one of the better options if Fleury is to get dealt in-season. Maybe even getting someone like Brodie or a rental like Wideman back with Elliott (salary depending of course). Really it's just spitballing.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree Eric, there are a lot of counter points. I just see it as one of the better options if Fleury is to get dealt in-season. Maybe even getting someone like Brodie or a rental like Wideman back with Elliott (salary depending of course). Really it's just spitballing.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Fleury has all the leverage, he has no incentive to waive his NMC to a crap team when he can just force the Pens to buy him out and then sign a new cheap(er) contract, added on top to what he's currently making on this deal. I think he gets bought out and then signs as a 1A/1B type goalie. CGY, DAL etc come to mind.

Bishop will then go to the highest bidder, I could see him getting 6+ and term. LV could overpay and give him 7

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Completely agree Eric, there are a lot of counter points. I just see it as one of the better options if Fleury is to get dealt in-season. Maybe even getting someone like Brodie or a rental like Wideman back with Elliott (salary depending of course). Really it's just spitballing..
    Not a chance Calgary trades Brodie for Fleury, and not a chance Pittsburgh trades anything for Wideman. Fleury won't get moved until the offseason.

Dobber Sports Sage

I dont see Fleury getting bought out, because if the Pens do go that route MAF has to be waived first, and he will get claimed. Fleury and his agent know this, so if Fleury wants to have some control over his future team he is going to need to work with the Pens on a trade. Otherwise he might end up in Vegas or some other undesirable location.

The Great One

I'm trying to wrap my head around the expansion draft implications of this discussion regarding Fleury. He's under contract until the 18-19 season I believe. If they keep him past March 1...
    He has a no movement clause and limited trade clause. So, unless he wants to play for Vegas, the Pens would have to protect him. He may want to go to Vegas. If he does, the Pens get nothing for him.

If the Pens make it to the cup final, that will end around mid June. The list of protected players is due to the NHL on 17 June. If Fleury is still on the roster at that time and does not want to go to Vegas, that are forced to protect him and expose Murray. Or would they have like 4 days in there to trade him? Either way this sounds like a terrible idea.
    Thoughts?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I'm trying to wrap my head around the expansion draft implications of this discussion regarding Fleury. He's under contract until the 18-19 season I believe. If they keep him past March 1...
    He has a no movement clause and limited trade clause. So, unless he wants to play for Vegas, the Pens would have to protect him. He may want to go to Vegas. If he does, the Pens get nothing for him.

If the Pens make it to the cup final, that will end around mid June. The list of protected players is due to the NHL on 17 June. If Fleury is still on the roster at that time and does not want to go to Vegas, that are forced to protect him and expose Murray. Or would they have like 4 days in there to trade him? Either way this sounds like a terrible idea.
    Thoughts?
    Game 6 last year was June 12. No question Pittsburgh will have a handshake deal by the team the cup finals end. The expansion draft is not something Pittsburgh will ever worry about in regards to keeping Fleury. 30 deals get done in one day on the trade deadline because it's a hard deadline. It's really not that much of an obstacle.

The Great One

So a handshake deal is in place and the other GM gets cold feet on Fleury and backs out. Or Fleury draws in at some point during the playoffs and gets hurt. The Pens are stuck exposing Murray in both these scenarios. Do they have the ability to waive or buy-out Fleury before the expansion draft if this happens?
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Deity

If I am not mistaken, his current contract exempts him from being waived. It's not an option for the Pens.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

A Pens beat writer mentioned buying out Fleury as a last ditch option before the expansion draft so I assume they know their stuff. That's crazy if they can't find a taker...many teams with horrible goalies or no goalies under contract for next season.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

So a handshake deal is in place and the other GM gets cold feet on Fleury and backs out. Or Fleury draws in at some point during the playoffs and gets hurt. The Pens are stuck exposing Murray in both these scenarios. Do they have the ability to waive or buy-out Fleury before the expansion draft if this happens?
    Banners over everything.

There's not a chance the Pens will make a Fleury move simply because of the expansion draft. It's way too easy of an obstacle to get around. Simply won't happen.

Administrator

People are making way too big a deal about the expansion draft. The rules are set and easy to get around.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If I am not mistaken, his current contract exempts him from being waived. It's not an option for the Pens.
    All buyouts are first subject to waivers, regardless of no move clauses. Pens engage buyout, Fleury gets waived, Fleury gets claimed. this is the Pens silver bullet, and why I think in the end Fleury will play ball and work with a trade.

The Great One

So if they put together a handshake deal Fleury has to agree to it as he has the no movement clause. The expansion draft is an easy obstacle until all of a sudden it isn't. You don't want to be that guy - the one who makes the Feaster/O'Reilly offer sheet level mistake. Do right by the player and keep yourself from looking like a jack ass and send him somewhere he can get some starts - again Fleury would have to approve said trade. Get a decent back-up in the deal and move forward. The insurance of having him on the bench isn't worth the potential headache. Some GM in this league is going to end up royally screwing something up with this expansion draft. And they will have been confident it wasn't a problem right up to the point it dawns on them that they f'd it up.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

So if they put together a handshake deal Fleury has to agree to it as he has the no movement clause. The expansion draft is an easy obstacle until all of a sudden it isn't. You don't want to be that guy - the one who makes the Feaster/O'Reilly offer sheet level mistake. Do right by the player and keep yourself from looking like a jack ass and send him somewhere he can get some starts - again Fleury would have to approve said trade. Get a decent back-up in the deal and move forward. The insurance of having him on the bench isn't worth the potential headache. Some GM in this league is going to end up royally screwing something up with this expansion draft. And they will have been confident it wasn't a problem right up to the point it dawns on them that they f'd it up.
    Do right by your player? It's a business.

Everything you're describing is so much easier said than done. Another cup is worth any potential headache to do with the expansion draft.

Regardless, we can argue back and forth, but Rutherford and every single writer that covers the Pens has repeatedly said that the expansion draft is not the reason that Fleury will be traded prior to the deadline. So keep arguing if you want, but the expansion draft is an irrelevant non-issue to the conversation and the Penguins have a better chance to win another cup with Fleury on the roster than not. End of story.