Thread: Surprises this year

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Surprises this year

With spring training getting going, what surprises, bounce backs, or breakouts do you expect this year?
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Surprises this year

Garrett Richards and Matt Shoemaker. Both coming off of big injuries. Shoemaker a skull fracture and subsequent surgery and Richards a torn UCL where he opted for stem cell treatments and not Tommy John surgery. Both may be in purgatory on the Angels, but I think they could both be steals later.
    Jared McCann I pegged for a breakout last year that didn't come. Maybe this year?
    Jose Peraza taking over 2B for the Reds. Good option for AVG and SBs.
    Zach Wheeler will be the forgotten man after missing two years recovering from a UCL tear. If he can grab that 5th rotation spot back, then he would be interesting to watch.
    Devon Travis, missed time with injuries the last two years, and is going to get more chances than he deserves in the leadoff spot for the Jays, so there's some upside there.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I have off the top of my head.

- - - Updated - - -

Garrett Richards and Matt Shoemaker. Both coming off of big injuries. Shoemaker a skull fracture and subsequent surgery and Richards a torn UCL where he opted for stem cell treatments and not Tommy John surgery. Both may be in purgatory on the Angels, but I think they could both be steals later.
    Jared McCann I pegged for a breakout last year that didn't come. Maybe this year?
    Jose Peraza taking over 2B for the Reds. Good option for AVG and SBs.
    Zach Wheeler will be the forgotten man after missing two years recovering from a UCL tear. If he can grab that 5th rotation spot back, then he would be interesting to watch.
    Devon Travis, missed time with injuries the last two years, and is going to get more chances than he deserves in the leadoff spot for the Jays, so there's some upside there.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I have off the top of my head.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

OF Sleeper:
    Trayce Thompson. Longer rest from injury, only 25yrs old, and platoon potential you could maximize his usage and high ceiling. As in only playing him on days where he?s set to do well. For a late round pick (like your last likely) he can be a solid producer for a 5th OF in a 4OF league. He battled back pain all year and still managed 13HR, so I?ll excuse his June/July (~0.170avg) and look at his April/May (~0.265avg).

Closer Sleeper:
    AJ Ramos. 23rd-ish ranked Closer. He had a 40saves to 3 blown attempts ratio, he strikes out at 10.27k/9. His walk rate is a tad high, but if you?re a closer you can walk 1 guy every 3 games and have a 3.00BB/9. But, he had the 3rd lowest HR rate out of any closer (0.14), the two ahead of him were Familia and Britton who will go way ahead of him. He shouldn?t be your No1 closer on your team, but his valueroduction potential is huge for a 2nd closer, or 3rd on your team.

3B Sleeper:
    Mike Moustakas. Remember him? The KCR had a terrible year, Mike tore his ACL when colliding with Gordon, but he stayed in the game! But he returns to the lineup healthy, rested, and likely motivated (show doubters, honour Ventura). Knee injuries aren?t quite like they used to be, look at Schwarber. For a guy O-Ranked 224 in yahoo! right now, Mike can be a great bench guy with the potential to be a 20HR, 0.280+Avg guy.

1B Sleeper:
    Greg Bird. No more Tex-man manning 1B in NY. Greg Bird gets to play after missing all of 2016. In 2015 remember when he raked before guys like Sanchez were the hit rookie? 11HR, 31RBI, 41H, 9Dbls, 26R, 0.261avg, 0.871OPS in 2015 over 46games. He has a solid eye at the plate in the Minors with a 2:1 hit:K ratio, it was inflated though in his first MLB stint. And at 232 O-Rank in Yahoo! he can be a late teens to 20?s round selection guy and people would think you?re reaching. I?d take him with the 180th pick in my league (10-teamer).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GSD View Post
    With spring training getting going, what surprises, bounce backs, or breakouts do you expect this year?
    Like everyone of them. Thanks.

Would you consider then not drafting a 2B in top 3 and getting Travis later?
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

Until(s1)

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by GSD View Post
    Like everyone of them. Thanks.

Would you consider then not drafting a 2B in top 3 and getting Travis later?
    Are you asking yourself?

Dobber Sports Titan

It wouldn't be my initial plan. Though I'm not reaching for Turner, 2B definitely has runs. If I mis the tier I want, then I would be okay platooning Travis and someone else. He's a great backup option, but I wouldn't want him to be my number one option going into the draft.

I also really like you bringing up Greg Bird. He wasn't on my radar at all!

- - - Updated - - -

It wouldn't be my initial plan. Though I'm not reaching for Turner, 2B definitely has runs. If I mis the tier I want, then I would be okay platooning Travis and someone else. He's a great backup option, but I wouldn't want him to be my number one option going into the draft.

I also really like you bringing up Greg Bird. He wasn't on my radar at all!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Cody Bellinger. Reading a bit on him he has flyball swing and he wasn’t focusing on power when he was swinging before which resulted in a lot of long outs. His D is solid to keep him in a lineup, but after seeing an “out of the park HR” (was a spring training park which isn’t super big to knock out of) he may finally have gotten that power into his swing.

Benintendi from Boston. He put on 20lbs of muscle apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

Cody Bellinger. Reading a bit on him he has flyball swing and he wasn?t focusing on power when he was swinging before which resulted in a lot of long outs. His D is solid to keep him in a lineup, but after seeing an ?out of the park HR? (was a spring training park which isn?t super big to knock out of) he may finally have gotten that power into his swing.

Benintendi from Boston. He put on 20lbs of muscle apparently.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    OF Sleeper:
    Trayce Thompson. Longer rest from injury, only 25yrs old, and platoon potential you could maximize his usage and high ceiling. As in only playing him on days where he?s set to do well. For a late round pick (like your last likely) he can be a solid producer for a 5th OF in a 4OF league. He battled back pain all year and still managed 13HR, so I?ll excuse his June/July (~0.170avg) and look at his April/May (~0.265avg).

Closer Sleeper:
    AJ Ramos. 23rd-ish ranked Closer. He had a 40saves to 3 blown attempts ratio, he strikes out at 10.27k/9. His walk rate is a tad high, but if you?re a closer you can walk 1 guy every 3 games and have a 3.00BB/9. But, he had the 3rd lowest HR rate out of any closer (0.14), the two ahead of him were Familia and Britton who will go way ahead of him. He shouldn?t be your No1 closer on your team, but his valueroduction potential is huge for a 2nd closer, or 3rd on your team.

3B Sleeper:
    Mike Moustakas. Remember him? The KCR had a terrible year, Mike tore his ACL when colliding with Gordon, but he stayed in the game! But he returns to the lineup healthy, rested, and likely motivated (show doubters, honour Ventura). Knee injuries aren?t quite like they used to be, look at Schwarber. For a guy O-Ranked 224 in yahoo! right now, Mike can be a great bench guy with the potential to be a 20HR, 0.280+Avg guy.

1B Sleeper:
    Greg Bird. No more Tex-man manning 1B in NY. Greg Bird gets to play after missing all of 2016. In 2015 remember when he raked before guys like Sanchez were the hit rookie? 11HR, 31RBI, 41H, 9Dbls, 26R, 0.261avg, 0.871OPS in 2015 over 46games. He has a solid eye at the plate in the Minors with a 2:1 hit:K ratio, it was inflated though in his first MLB stint. And at 232 O-Rank in Yahoo! he can be a late teens to 20?s round selection guy and people would think you?re reaching. I?d take him with the 180th pick in my league (10-teamer).
    AJ Ramos for sure. Not sure how much time Bird gets.

Until(s1)

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Titan

Do you think Carter is going to be the starting 1B for the Yankees? To me he’s just an insurance policy and it’s Birds position to lose.