Thread: Friedman's thoughts - Galchenyuk for Duchene, 1 for 1.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Friedman's thoughts - Galchenyuk for Duchene, 1 for 1.

So in todays 30 thoughts, Friedman spitballed the idea of the Habs and Avs making a deal involving Galchenyuk for Duchene, 1 for 1.

1. I would like to stress this is my opinion: In what is going to be an intense week for Montreal GM Marc Bergevin, my sense is his biggest looming decision concerns Alex Galchenyuk.

The shuffling between centre and wing show a player and an organization still struggling to find the right fit. Galchenyuk?s contract is up. He is two years away from unrestricted free agency and eligible for arbitration. Many of his peers are getting long-term deals in the $6-$7 million range. With 30 goals last season and 29 points in 37 games this year, he is going to get paid.

Bergevin could wait until the end of the season to address this, but more than one NHL exec says the Canadiens ?have a lot of moving pieces? right now. Undoubtedly, he?s trying to move money (David Desharnais/Tomas Plekanec), but there?s certainly a chance something bigger happens. Matt Duchene may be older, but is under contract for two more seasons at $6 million per year. Bergevin is trying to sign Alexander Radulov, with Carey Price and Max Pacioretty to come. If you think you can have a more established Duchene at a potentially lower number for the next two years than Galchenyuk, does Montreal do it?

Personally I think it's a silly deal for the Habs, unlike the PK deal which I actually liked for them). The idea behind it is Duchene is still signed for a few more seasons and Galchenyuk is going to want big bucks coming off his bridge deal at seasons end. Friedman questions Galchenyuk is worth the same money as Duchene.

Is Duchene an upgrade for the Habs? Personally I say no but that's me. What's your thoughts on Friedman's trade idea?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Friedman's thoughts - Galchenyuk for Duchene, 1 for 1.

I personally don't see Duchene as an upgrade, especially with the possibility that we see another step from Galchenyuk.
    I can see the logic, but I don't see it coming to fruition.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally don't see Duchene as an upgrade, especially with the possibility that we see another step from Galchenyuk.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I agree but after watching the Habs deal Subban for Weber, nothing would surprise me with Bergevin.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So in todays 30 thoughts, Friedman spitballed the idea of the Habs and Avs making a deal involving Galchenyuk for Duchene, 1 for 1.

Is Duchene an upgrade for the Habs? Personally I say no but that's me. What's your thoughts on Friedman's trade idea?
    He's currently a better C and as mentioned by the article would be slightly cheaper for the next 2 years, which is the habs best window to win the cup.

Definitely makes sense for Montreal but it makes no sense for the Avs, they need D it's the only reason why they'd considering moving Duchene in the first place.

Duchene for Sergachev + makes more sense, and then they can always trade Galchenyuk for a D package in the offseason given he'll still be an RFA

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    He's currently a better C and as mentioned by the article would be slightly cheaper for the next 2 years, which is the habs best window to win the cup.

Definitely makes sense for Montreal but it makes no sense for the Avs, they need D it's the only reason why they'd considering moving Duchene in the first place.

Duchene for Sergachev + makes more sense, and then they can always trade Galchenyuk for a D package in the offseason given he'll still be an RFA
    I am not sure I agree that's Duchene is better, that's just my opinion.

That being said, I do agree that the Av's need the help on the backend and this trade doesn't do anything to help them there. As we have seen, it's not easy to acquire defensive help and teams are not willing to move these assets, even if you are offering quality players like Duchene. I refer you to the Oilers/Devils trade. Much like that situation, other teams know the Av's are searching for help back there and will abuse them with that information.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think this would be great for the Canadiens. makes good sense to me.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am not sure I agree that's Duchene is better, that's just my opinion.

That being said, I do agree that the Av's need the help on the backend and this trade doesn't do anything to help them there. As we have seen, it's not easy to acquire defensive help and teams are not willing to move these assets, even if you are offering quality players like Duchene. I refer you to the Oilers/Devils trade. Much like that situation, other teams know the Av's are searching for help back there and will abuse them with that information.
    Maybe they'll just fire their coach and hire Julien

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Maybe they'll just fire their coach and hire Julien
    It doesn't fix their roster issues, but it's a start.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Duchene is a better player today than Galchenyuk is today, and has a better contract than Galchenyuk will this summer, but tough to say who will be a better player long term. Also tough to say if Duchene would re-sign in 2 years.

Ultimately though, I think Montreal needs another center, not a slight upgrade, so it doesn't really help them to swap Duchene and Galchenyuk because they need Duchene and Galchenyuk.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Duchene is a better player today than Galchenyuk is today, and has a better contract than Galchenyuk will this summer, but tough to say who will be a better player long term. Also tough to say if Duchene would re-sign in 2 years.

Ultimately though, I think Montreal needs another center, not a slight upgrade, so it doesn't really help them to swap Duchene and Galchenyuk because they need Duchene and Galchenyuk.

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't watch Duchene enough, but Galchenyuk plays a lazy irresponsible game.

I'd want to see him traded for a good return before the rest of the league realizes that, in his case, the problem wasn't the coach but the player.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't watch Duchene enough, but Galchenyuk plays a lazy irresponsible game.

I'd want to see him traded for a good return before the rest of the league realizes that, in his case, the problem wasn't the coach but the player.

The Great One

The point is not about who is better right now. I think you're missing the foresight in that rumour.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I could see it form MTL's point of view but COL needs some kind of upgrade on D/a pick to pull the trigger IMO.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't think Colorado does this trade either. They want, and need, a d man. They should be able to get one for duchene.

Gal was looking like Montreal's undisputed top line centre for the last couple dozen games last year and the first 30 games this year. He has not been the same since the knee injury. Probably needs the summer off to recover fully. I'd be super hesitant on gal right now if if was Colorado.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think Colorado does this trade either. They want, and need, a d man. They should be able to get one for duchene.

Gal was looking like Montreal's undisputed top line centre for the last couple dozen games last year and the first 30 games this year. He has not been the same since the knee injury. Probably needs the summer off to recover fully. I'd be super hesitant on gal right now if if was Colorado.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Stud

This deal makes zero sense for Colorado, unless their taking a D man back in return. I take Duchene all day here. He is wasting his talents in Colorado. Galchenyuk may have more to offer yet, but he is over hyped in Montreal. He reminds me of a Viktor Kozlov type. All the size and skill, but no heart, offering only occasional glimpses of his potential.