Thread: Start Extra innings with a guy on 2nd????

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Start Extra innings with a guy on 2nd????

Major League Baseball plans on testing a rule change in the minor leagues this season that automatically would place a runner on second base to start extra innings, according to Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan.

The rule will also be implemented in the upcoming World Baseball classic next month. Major League baseball could experiment with the rule Gulf Coast League and Arizona League.
    I mean.....very interesting! But I don't really think extra innings games are a problem are they?? I thought they'd be more focused on speeding up the actual game if that;s what they're trying to do.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2017/02/08/mlb...er-second-base

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Start Extra innings with a guy on 2nd????

hopefully this is Fake News (tm)

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Titan

With the amount of LONG extra inning games last yr I’d assume this is to tackle that, which speeds up the game in a way.

They are looking to make the change over time between innings shorter, and time between each pitch I think. They need to remove the ability for coaches to wait for a call to challenge a play or not, that’s a great way to cut down on time.

Anything to speed the game up I’m game for

- - - Updated - - -

With the amount of LONG extra inning games last yr I?d assume this is to tackle that, which speeds up the game in a way.

They are looking to make the change over time between innings shorter, and time between each pitch I think. They need to remove the ability for coaches to wait for a call to challenge a play or not, that?s a great way to cut down on time.

Anything to speed the game up I?m game for
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

I have heard about this in a couple of places, and the fact they're planning on testing it in the minors is good. It will be interesting to see how it goes there. I'm curious to see how it works down there.

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard about this in a couple of places, and the fact they're planning on testing it in the minors is good. It will be interesting to see how it goes there. I'm curious to see how it works down there.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Sounds very artificial. Kind of like the shootout.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

We use this rule in fastball in western Canada. Its a whole different strategy and it definitely makes teams consider small ball to get the game over with.

And I think it is important for the players to get the extra inning games over with quicker because the guys play a lot of ball as is in the summer. They don't need to be playing a 17 inning ball game until 1:00 in the morning. And who really watches all 17 innings of a game, unless you are actually at the game... then you are just tired for work the next day.

Dobber Sports Sage

I like it. And I think they should go a step further- Pitch clock. Batters cannot step out of the box. Only 1 mound visit per coach in an inning. 1 mound visit per pitcher overall. The catcher cannot visit the mound. Automatic intentional walks.

Make the pace of the game faster! I might watch more.

- - - Updated - - -

I like it. And I think they should go a step further- Pitch clock. Batters cannot step out of the box. Only 1 mound visit per coach in an inning. 1 mound visit per pitcher overall. The catcher cannot visit the mound. Automatic intentional walks.

10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That's like 5 steps further!!

Dobber Sports Superstar

I've used the so-called "international rule" in rec slo-pitch and it speeds up the ending. Not sure how I feel about it in MLB, I assume it won't be used in the playoffs. Overall it would be intriguing to watch if nothing else. I only remember 2-3 marathon games last year so I'm not sure how much of a problem extra-inning games are.

On the point of pace of play I agree with Daydream:
    1. Pitch Clock- in theory exists but enforce it already.
    2. Batters stay in the box- tried and didn't commit. What you need is umps denying time and pitchers willing to catch batters sleeping although this likely goes against "the code".
    3. Ban Catcher mound visits- 100% agree. I would say if any player approaches the mound he's charged with the pitchers one and only coaches visit. This would speed up the game and likely increase offence.
    4. Automatic Intentional Walks sound good as IW's are boring. That's a minor issue in the grande scheme of things reall.y

- - - Updated - - -

I've used the so-called "international rule" in rec slo-pitch and it speeds up the ending. Not sure how I feel about it in MLB, I assume it won't be used in the playoffs. Overall it would be intriguing to watch if nothing else. I only remember 2-3 marathon games last year so I'm not sure how much of a problem extra-inning games are.

On the point of pace of play I agree with Daydream:
    1. Pitch Clock- in theory exists but enforce it already.
    2. Batters stay in the box- tried and didn't commit. What you need is umps denying time and pitchers willing to catch batters sleeping although this likely goes against "the code".
    3. Ban Catcher mound visits- 100% agree. I would say if any player approaches the mound he's charged with the pitchers one and only coaches visit. This would speed up the game and likely increase offence.
    4. Automatic Intentional Walks sound good as IW's are boring. That's a minor issue in the grande scheme of things reall.y
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports All-Star

They were talking about this on TSN radio this morning. I think its a good idea. Not sure how many times a team actually plays extra innings out of the 162 games they play but, more people will get to see the end of those games since the majority of them will end sooner.