Thread: Joined a huge cap league, could use some thoughts on a potential trade.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Joined a huge cap league, could use some thoughts on a potential trade.

This is a 30 team cap league, and it's point based. I inherited a fixer-upper of a team, but it's not too bad. Minors are very deep, and no limit on number of positions down there, and no cap impact, even if you have a veteran down there. For example, Duncan Keith is in my minors, due to the way the guy who set up the initial roster did it. He'd be my #1 or #2 defenseman, but I can't call him up without exposing him ( and losing him) on waivers.

Skaters are 12 forwards, 6 defenders. I am short of NHL caliber forwards, with an empty skater spot every week. I am long on defensemen. I also have a bit of a cap issue, which I am trying to resolve. I can give skater stats, but it's NOT the league in my sig. Almost everything revolves around scoring in various ways. Exception is PIM at 3 points, and +/-, which is worth +/-10, when an even strength goal or assist is worth 25.

We start 1.5 goalies, essentially - there is a starter & a backup, the backup scores half points, so half the above values.

Goalie values are:
    Assists (A) 50
    Games Played (GP) 3
    Shootout Losses (ShL) 10
    Goals Against (GA) -15
    Overtime Losses (OL) 10
    Penalty Minutes (PIM) 3
    Saves (SV) 2
    Shutouts (SHO) 100
    Wins (W) 50

and ... Goals (G) 200

Current active goalies are F. Andersen & Lehtonen
    Brossoit, Peters, & Ullmark the relevant goalies in the minors for this year and likely next.

I am looking at this deal:

Lehtonen
    for
    McIlhenny, one of Fiala/Barzal, and a youngish skater who is in the NHL but not a top-6 type of prospect., plus maybe a late pick.

Does this seem like a return that is crazy low or high?

I would lock up the Toronto crease for this year, and get a youngish NHL skater to plug into the vacant spot who would score a bit less than Lehtonen does for me, but he's repalcing a zero spot. It gives me some cap room, and some youth. The other team is a real contender, but in the other conference, so it could only bite me head-to-head if we met in the finals. Basically picks cover the upcoming entry draft, and any undrafted signees by a NHL team.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Default Re: Joined a huge cap league, could use some thoughts on a potential trade.

Apart from the cap space tha does seem like a lot of nothingness to me... If that cap space let's you call up Keith (though h the sounds of it it doesn't) then I see more appeal

- - - Updated - - -

Apart from the cap space tha does seem like a lot of nothingness to me... If that cap space let's you call up Keith (though h the sounds of it it doesn't) then I see more appeal
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Joined a huge cap league, could use some thoughts on a potential trade.

well.. you're trading Lehtonen... so any return & a willingness to have an owner trade for him is also a bonus, if not a surprise. A lot of people expect Fiala to be as good or better than Arvidsson in the next couple of years, and be a NHL regular next season. Barzal has the higher upside of the two, but I have some concerns of him reaching them. His puck hogging skills in the WJC will get him obliterated in the NHL. He needs to use his teammates a lot more if he's going to find success in the NHL. Take Barzal if you want the upside. Take Fiala if you want the safer choice

I'd be interested to see what the young bottom 6 players the owner is offering to go with Fiala/Barzal are... There could be underlying value there and find a productive middle 6 player
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

I think it's a solid deal. Lehtonen is not a big piece, and it gets you a good young piece at a low salary
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)