Thread: Gotta do something soon. Help!

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Gotta do something soon. Help!

I have a similar post over on the One Year forum, but in light of the last game that Allen played, I feel like I might be in new waters. Here's the deal...

My goalies are killing me. And I need to clear a roster spot for Letang (2 assists tonight riding my IR). I need 4 starts per week or else I surrender all 4 goalie cats. Even with Montoya as a handcuff, with Helly not starting a game in weeks, I'm screwed. And even if he was starting games for WPG, he has been inconsistent enough to kill my team. So something has to happen.

I think I might be able to swing a trade for Rinne, but it would cost me Forsberg and Granlund. That's a lot to give up, but it does free a roster spot so I get Letang back. Right now I have to drop someone to activate Letang, so I'm losing someone for nothing anyhow. And I figure if I could get Rinne and his 75% starts, I could drop Helly and pick up a good FA like Marner or Nino. So in the end, that trade looks like Forsberg, Granlund and Helly for Nino, Letang and Rinne. Putting it that way, it doesn't look so bad.

But... Allen actually stopped some pucks last night. He and Smith, Ward, Howard and Mrazek are all FA's in my league. I could save myself a lot of anguish if I picked up someone who was going to be a true starter and dropped Helly and/or Montoya. Is Allen worth investing in, or was this just a one-time fluke? I guess it's too early to tell if he has his head screwed on straight again, or if he's going to truly be #1, or if STL will trade for Bishop or Fleury.

It comes down to this: Make the trade and ignore Allen, Ward, Smith and Howard, or pick up one of those guys and drop Montoya and Helly to activate Letang?

Thanks!
    C: Kopitar, Jarvis (RW), Thomas
    RW: Wilson, Bratt (LW), Zuccarello, Svechnikov (LW)
    LW: B. Tkachuk, E.Kane, Boldy (RW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly, Dahlin, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Kochetkov
    IR+

10 Team H2H, one year, G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, HIT, W, SVP, GAA, SV
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Util, 2G

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Gotta do something soon. Help!

Give Allen a tryout, he played well last night. Goalies occasionally lose their edge, it happens. Free is good. I would exhaust other options before I did that trade.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think Allen is STL number one. They won't be trading for Bishop or Fleury. Pick up Howard and drop Montoya. Good luck

The Great One

Agree that free is good but to clarify you would drop Helly for Allen AND drop Montoya for Letang?

- - - Updated - - -

Agree that free is good but to clarify you would drop Helly for Allen AND drop Montoya for Letang?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah Sulla, I think that's the direction I'm leaning now. But if I do that I'm down to two goalies and better be dang sure that I can get 3 starts/wk. If Allen is going to be given a real shot to be #1, then I guess I'd be on safe ground. But the reason I had been considering Ward and Smith was because with one of them plus Price I'd be sure I have two 80% starters. I could keep either Helly or Montoya and just keep Letang on the shelf for the day that someone else goes DTD/IR, but it seems like a lot to keep on the shelf.
    C: Kopitar, Jarvis (RW), Thomas
    RW: Wilson, Bratt (LW), Zuccarello, Svechnikov (LW)
    LW: B. Tkachuk, E.Kane, Boldy (RW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly, Dahlin, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Kochetkov
    IR+

10 Team H2H, one year, G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, HIT, W, SVP, GAA, SV
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Util, 2G