Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily food consumption thread

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Daily food consumption thread

I am actively trying to gain weight right now to be in better shape for trail running season. My struggle is always to eat enough since I hate eating and I burn a lot of calories training.

This morning I have had a bowl of Mini-Wheats, a coffee with cream, and a banana. Not enough.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Also, just a suggestion but if you insist on going hardcore with counting calories and bringing your number down... maybe change up the breakfast routine? Just a thought...
    Yeah, this for sure. If you switch the double double to a black coffee or water, and have some combo of eggs, smoothie, yogurt, banana, grapefruit, potato/tomato, granola, etc. instead of the sausage wrap, that would be a great start. Hard part for me is waking up 30 minutes earlier to prepare nutritious food. I friggin' love sleeping...

- - - Updated - - -

Great thread by the way, Stuntman. You've got me thinking about making some positive changes to my eating habits.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    you could be right. i know if i eat 3000 calories i maintain my weight, at 2000 cals i lose about 1 or 2 lbs a week. at 1500-1600 i know i can lose 2-3 lbs a week if i stick to it. i averaged about 1800-1900 calories last month and i never felt DRAINED.....but maybe I should increase my cals by 100 or 200.

I EAT A "ONE A DAY GUMMIES VITAMINS".........lol i like the gummies

If you're looking at this as a lifestyle change and not a crash diet, which you should if expect good, long term results, losing 1-2 lbs is fantastic progress. I know you feel that you have a long way to go, but you have to also keep general long term health in mind. Go on a slight deficit and just let time pass man. Live a healthier overall life and come back to evaluate six months from now.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I don't care because I found a system that works and I stick to it. No counting required. Eat to survive, not for pleasure.

Also, just a suggestion but if you insist on going hardcore with counting calories and bringing your number down... maybe change up the breakfast routine? Just a thought...
    yeah i considered it, i should get something smaller since a wrap from tim hortons is 400 cals and xl double double is 300 cals.

Dobber Sports Ninja

you could be right. i know if i eat 3000 calories i maintain my weight, at 2000 cals i lose about 1 or 2 lbs a week. at 1500-1600 i know i can lose 2-3 lbs a week if i stick to it. i averaged about 1800-1900 calories last month and i never felt DRAINED.....but maybe I should increase my cals by 100 or 200.

I EAT A "ONE A DAY GUMMIES VITAMINS".........lol i like the gummies
    1800-1900 calories is just fine.

You probably can ditch the vitamin though. If you're eating a balanced diet there is no need to waste the money on them.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'm in my late 50's and have been very fortunate at keeping a healthy weight. I guess I have a good metabolism, but as I age, it will slow down and I am now a little more aware of my calorie count. I keep a rough count and target 2000 but am probably around 2500-3000.

A great new tool and law in Ontario as of January 1st is that all restaurants must show the calories for every item on their menu. This makes it that much easier to track. It can be a real eye opener though. For example, I love pizza but couldn't believe that some slices are between 700-900 calories. Hence my higher calorie count.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in my late 50's and have been very fortunate at keeping a healthy weight. I guess I have a good metabolism, but as I age, it will slow down and I am now a little more aware of my calorie count. I keep a rough count and target 2000 but am probably around 2500-3000.

A great new tool and law in Ontario as of January 1st is that all restaurants must show the calories for every item on their menu. This makes it that much easier to track. It can be a real eye opener though. For example, I love pizza but couldn't believe that some slices are between 700-900 calories. Hence my higher calorie count.

Dobber Sports Ninja

yeah i considered it, i should get something smaller since a wrap from tim hortons is 400 cals and xl double double is 300 cals.
    Wouldn't you be able to save money (and calories!) by making your own coffee and breakfast at home in the morning? Just a thought. I like my Tim Horton's as a treat as well, don't get me wrong, but it's generally a once every 2 months kind of thing.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post

I am always in awe at people who have a normal calorie intake of like 3000 calories. I have to force myself, to the point of feeling sick at times, to eat that many calories. It's amazing how different people have totally different bodies and expectations of what's normal. Not a criticism either. I don't eat enough many days. It's just noting how different people are and why there is no such thing as a one size fits all diet.

Dobber Sports Pro

Probably goes without saying, but a hugely important practice is cooking the majority of your food "from scratch" at home. IE buying fresh or frozen meat, fresh vegetables and fruits, rice, eggs, etc. Minimal fast food and minimal processed products that come in a box, bag or wrapper - apart from deli and produce items which you need in a bag or package to transport home.

The Wolverine

I've never counted calories. Not saying I'm in the best shape or anything (have a bit of a belly, but not tall/stocky either) and also considering that I'm hypoglycemic I know I need to eat regularly throughout the day. The need for food is more important and as long as I'm not eating a lot of crap then I should be fine. I try to stay active when I can, though lately it hasn't been enough and little niggly injuries are popping up, so working on that.

Back to food, for me and a general suggestion is not focusing too much on the calorie count and too much about how much you weigh, how much you want to lose etc. I understand that everyone has specific goals etc and it could be important to check the numbers depending on your situation. but for me the important thing (and I think Eric and others have mentioned previously) is that you find something that works - find the right balance of things you can enjoy eating but also be conscious of the quality of food you're taking in. I don't like the extreme "I have to lose x amount by this time so I must cut my calories by x amount etc' type plans. These would be more difficult to achieve and it could be easier to slip up.

I feel it would be better to take smaller steps, gradually cutting out things (e.g. 1 sugar instead of 2 in coffee, substitute a sweet snack for a healthy snack etc) to the point where it's not too drastic a change. Then gradually you can adjust even more when you are comfortable. At the same time, becoming (more) active, even just a little bit e.g. regular walks and build up, will make a big difference in addition to a healthier eating lifestyle. This is not a quick fix, it's a change to make you feel better over the long term and can maintain.

My 2 cents...

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Wouldn't you be able to save money (and calories!) by making your own coffee and breakfast at home in the morning? Just a thought. I like my Tim Horton's as a treat as well, don't get me wrong, but it's generally a once every 2 months kind of thing.
    yes very true, id have money for dobbers hockey guides. i spend at least $2.15 a day there and more often than that i get an apple cinnamon tea in the evening which is as much as a coffee

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I am always in awe at people who have a normal calorie intake of like 3000 calories. I have to force myself, to the point of feeling sick at times, to eat that many calories. It's amazing how different people have totally different bodies and expectations of what's normal. Not a criticism either. I don't eat enough many days. It's just noting how different people are and why there is no such thing as a one size fits all diet.
    Exactly.

Dobber Sports Ninja

yes very true, id have money for dobbers hockey guides. i spend at least $2.15 a day there and more often than that i get an apple cinnamon tea in the evening which is as much as a coffee
    Oh man, personal budgeting is a whole other issue! Good for you for thinking and working through these things.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Exactly.
    Size obviously has an impact. I'm 6'3', but not big framed.

Dobber Sports Monster

I'm 5''10.5
    dont have the greatest metabolism unless i do LOTS of activity. when i was 13 i lost 50 lbs in 3 months by eating like a bird basically, i was so driven to lose weight i went to sleep starving at times and feeling weak. ended up getting gall stones from it, i was about to go into highschool and was driven to lose weight before i went there

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 5''10.5
    dont have the greatest metabolism unless i do LOTS of activity. when i was 13 i lost 50 lbs in 3 months by eating like a bird basically, i was so driven to lose weight i went to sleep starving at times and feeling weak. ended up getting gall stones from it, i was about to go into highschool and was driven to lose weight before i went there