Thread: Drop Karl Stollery or Scott Mayfield or depth forward?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Drop Karl Stollery or Scott Mayfield or depth forward?

Hi all, this isn't going to be season-changing move but I need to make a drop and would like some help in deciding which drop I should make.

I have to reactivate Dmitri Kulikov (provides blocks) and Colin Miller - BOS from IR and need to drop one of my recent FA pick-ups.

I am behind in D games played (we get 82 GP for each position) and am lacking in the Block department. I will make some moves in the near future to remedy this situation.

Karl Stollery has been a pleasant surprise with the Devils with 3 ppp and some decent peripherals, but the injured Devils are set to return and he Stollery will be relegated to the minors or to the press box.

Scott Mayfield looks to be quite proficient in the peripheral department but seldom gets decent playing time, getting scratched every now and then.

My other options for players to drop would be players not contributing now (minors or college) but with the potential to make some noise when they do arrive to the NHL:

Jordan Weal - has been one of the best in the AHL in the past few years, Philly could use depth with their forwards, is a C only in Fantrax making this the easiest position to fill. He could get W eligibilty IF he gets called up. I think he will be a decent NHLer if given half the chance.

Maxim Shalunov - he has been pretty good in the KHL and could potentially be coming over to the Hawks as soon as this year (after KHL season ends). Players on playoff bound teams are valuable for our leagues playoffs - Could be seen as decent trade bait.

Tyler Bertuzzi - Has the potential to contribute decently in PIM and Hits while getting a few points

Adam Fox - I love his potential and am one of his biggest 'boosters' but I will have to keep him for several years (we keep 32 players each year) before he will contribute anything to my team. He carries varying degrees of value depending on how other managers view him. I am confident that he will be a very good NHLer but when?

Other depth players that will most likely be dropped at the end of the season but am hesitant to drop for fear that others in my league will use them to beat me in certain categories:

Nic Dowd - C - LA
    Curtis McKenzie - LW - DAL
    J.F Berube - G
    Anton Forsberg
    Michael Dal Colle - still gotta have some value here, right?

It might seem easy to say to just drop one of the goalies but I have kept them for a little while believing that their value would increase to the point that I could trade them for something later. Berube is now the outright back-up and Forsberg is getting closer to it as well. These would be easy drops but I believe that they would be picked up as FA's right away and I would hate to help out one of my opponents that need some goal-tending help.

This is a very deep league with some knowledgeable GM's (The Comish, Teemu, Chicleteur, IamLilC, CCsitdown, Doulos, Stuntman, among others) and I rarely ask questions around here, what would you do?
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Drop Karl Stollery or Scott Mayfield or depth forward?

This is why I never ask any questions around here or spend too much time writing a long response.

I guess I should have ended my title with - WILL REP!!!

- - - Updated - - -

This is why I never ask any questions around here or spend too much time writing a long response.

I guess I should have ended my title with - WILL REP!!!
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm losing faith in Weal ever making an impact. As good as he has been in the minor leagues, I see him over in Europe before the NHL.
    Mayfield I like as a depth option maybe in a year or two, but he can barely get two games in a row right now, and that isn't al that useful.
    Stollery has the opportunity in NJ, so I would probably keep him just based on that.
    Everyone else you named I have above the three mentioned above. So I would narrow my choice down to Weal or Mayfield, then drop the one where I have the most positional depth.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm losing faith in Weal ever making an impact. As good as he has been in the minor leagues, I see him over in Europe before the NHL.
    Mayfield I like as a depth option maybe in a year or two, but he can barely get two games in a row right now, and that isn't al that useful.
    Stollery has the opportunity in NJ, so I would probably keep him just based on that.
    Everyone else you named I have above the three mentioned above. So I would narrow my choice down to Weal or Mayfield, then drop the one where I have the most positional depth.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

I wish I would have dropped Mayfield instead. I know now why I rarely ask.

; (