Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts

Banned

Default Re: Random thoughts

My brother suddenly shouting curses while playing games is going to give me a heart attack someday.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by rowcarmine View Post
    My brother suddenly shouting curses while playing games is going to give me a heart attack someday.
    reminds me of when my brother would give me heck when I would be playing poker - get bad beat - shout expletives - scare dog .... then he would be giving me heck lol

Dobber Sports Monster

a buddy of mine made a facebook prank. flippin hilarious

he made a post saying that there is a person on his friend list who keeps sending him nudes and trying to snag him....then proceeded to say "this is a link to their facebook wall" ..... but he put a link of the "facebook page" and anyone who clicks on it just gets redirected to YOUR own page and so it looked like he was putting you on blast. one lady said she was calling the cops on him over slander or whatever then proceeded to say he was never going to let him see their family again and other vulgar things. this guy said he got lots of messages in his inbox of people getting mad at them....lol

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    a buddy of mine made a facebook prank. flippin hilarious

he made a post saying that there is a person on his friend list who keeps sending him nudes and trying to snag him....then proceeded to say "this is a link to their facebook wall" ..... but he put a link of the "facebook page" and anyone who clicks on it just gets redirected to YOUR own page and so it looked like he was putting you on blast. one lady said she was calling the cops on him over slander or whatever then proceeded to say he was never going to let him see their family again and other vulgar things. this guy said he got lots of messages in his inbox of people getting mad at them....lol
    FUNNY, but damn that could turn ugly with someone who doesn't like pranks or is very self-protective.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    FUNNY, but damn that could turn ugly with someone who doesn't like pranks or is very self-protective.
    oh yeah, it's not a prank i would post on my wall for sure. ruffle too many feathers and many people can't seem to take a joke these days.

Dobber Sports Monster

Man, going through so much stress hoping my guys will score and all my teams are in the running. Times like this I wish I could light up a cigarette but haven't smoked in 4 years....dont want to start up again but man. Sunday can't come quick enough

Dobber Sports Ace

I wonder where the phrase " ...don't give two shits..." comes from.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    Yes, that must have been a messy negotiation..

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    Seancellerobryan from Reddit claims it comes from:

To explain this, I'm going to go on a little adventure, so bear with me (or don't; skip the next two paragraphs if you want a shorter explanation).
    In linguistics, especially historical linguistics, there is what's called the Jespersen Cycle, named after Otto Jespersen. Basically, the Jespersen Cycle refers to a progression of marking negation from using one negative marker, to using the negative marker and another marker, to finally using only this latter marker. The classic example of this is found in French: in Old French negation was expressed with the adverb ne 'not', thus je ne sais 'I don't know'. Later, it became mandatory to include a second marker pas: je ne sais pas. Finally, in modern French one can drop the ne, leaving only the pas: je sais pas (or j'sais pas). Written French, at least 'proper' written French, is still in the middle stage of the cycle, but the ne is absent the majority of the time in spoken French.
    Let's look at the marker pas. Literally this means 'step' (it's cognate with 'pace', or rather is its etymon). Originally pas was only used with verbs of motion: something like je ne vais pas meaning 'I don't go a step'. This is sort of negative emphasis is common cross-linguistically, and we have parallel constructions today in English ('I won't move an inch', 'Do you drink?' 'Not a drop'). In fact, English not is originally from an Old English contraction meaning 'no thing'. At the same time that pas was used this way, there were other such words as well, but pas was eventually generalised into a second, post-verbal negative marker. When something is doubly marked, only one of the markings is necessary to get the meaning, the other may be lost without any loss in meaning.
    Still with me? Sorry about that. So the shit of 'I don't give a shit' is another of these negative emphatics, doubly so because of its obscenity. We can also say 'you don't know shit', 'I can't see shit', and so on. Earlier, the saying was 'I don't give a damn' (which we can still say); the replacement by shit is more emphatic still, given that shit is a stronger swear than damn. There are lots of other variations on this phrase; I'm sure you can think of many.
    Why 'give' anyway? This is unclear, but you can find some colourful stories on the internet. It is not unlikely that the earlier phrase was 'not give a' and then some unit of currency or amount. The phrase 'not worth a damn' is also of reasonable age and well attested, so the substitution of 'damn' for an amount is rather old. Relatively popular theories are that the original was dam, dime, or tinker's dam(n). Dam was an Indian coin worth less than a rupee, but phrases with damn are attested earlier than I for one would think dam would be commonly enough known by English folk to be used in such a phrase, and dam used in this way is in any case not attested until much later and as an explanation. Seems unlikely. Similarly for tinker's dam(n): forms with tinker's anything don't crop up until the 19th century, which is too late to have originated this usage. Dime is perhaps more appealing, but this would seem to suppose a later and American origin of the phrase, which seems not to obtain.
    None of these similar words is even necessary, as damn could have been used as an emphatic substitution regardless.
    Hope that helps.

...Is it just me or do you also feel like Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory just lectured you???

PS: in your case Tobias Funke, just multiply what he ^ said x2 to get the explanation to your question
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

Why do people run on the road when there's a sidewalk?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

Because if you step on a crack then you fall and break your back.

Duh

Dobber Sports Jedi

why do co-workers try to make "chit-chat" with you when they can clearly see you're just putting coffee on now to start the day and you just rode your bike to work in the rain. WHY? This is not time for pleasantries. It is clearly time for - 'holy sh*t let the man get his coffee before we bore him to death with meaningless conversation"

FFS people.

end of 'public' rant
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    why do co-workers try to make "chit-chat" with you when they can clearly see you're just putting coffee on now to start the day and you just rode your bike to work in the rain. WHY? This is not time for pleasantries. It is clearly time for - 'holy sh*t let the man get his coffee before we bore him to death with meaningless conversation"

FFS people.

end of 'public' rant
    Not everyone understands how things work
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Because if you step on a crack then you fall and break your back.

Duh
    I thought you broke your mom's back if you step on a crack...?
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I thought you broke your mom's back if you step on a crack...?
    I've heard it sung both ways.