Thread: Varlamov or Hellebuyck or Halak for late in the year

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Varlamov or Hellebuyck or Halak for late in the year

So all 3 of these goalies were dropped recently in my league.

I was looking at all 3 and didn't find any very appealing, however, with Varlamov injured and room on my IR+ thought about picking him up with the chance he may get traded to a good situation. That being said I doubt very much that any of these guys will help at some point. But which do you think will have the best opportunity by what may or may not happen between now and the trade deadline.

Varlamov - Currently hurt so doesn't take up a bench spot. Chances he gets traded to a good situation????

Halak - Essentially the same as above, but instead of injured he is in the minors and would take a roster spot

Hellebuyck - Most likely to see playing time throughout the ROS, however, he has been terrible and they have turned to Pavelec recently. Jets have dealt with a lot of injuries and are IMO the best team of the 3 by a significant margin. Is Hellebuyck the better option in the chance that he regains the net and the Jets play some better hockey.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Varlamov or Hellebuyck or Halak for late in the year

Helle is the best of the bunch, but if a goalie is what you need to save your season, then you will need a trade, not a FA pickup

- - - Updated - - -

Helle is the best of the bunch, but if a goalie is what you need to save your season, then you will need a trade, not a FA pickup
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Geez. Talk about options. One is shut down, one isn't in the league so I'll go Helle as well.

Dobber Sports Genius

I haven't examined the landscape closely, but I doubt that if Varly or Halak get traded, it will be to take the number one role on a good team. I'd expect that it would be to another bad team, to be the starter, or as backup insurance for the playoffs, but I could be wrong. St. Louis at best, maybe? Who knows. That's a gambling route, and a big one.

The Jets aren't making the playoffs, so either Pavs will get traded for insurance to a playoff team, or he'll get sent back down or sat, so that Helle can again eventually start accruing experience for next season and beyond.

I'd probably go with Hellebyuck, because the other two are dependant on a trade to a good team.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't examined the landscape closely, but I doubt that if Varly or Halak get traded, it will be to take the number one role on a good team. I'd expect that it would be to another bad team, to be the starter, or as backup insurance for the playoffs, but I could be wrong. St. Louis at best, maybe? Who knows. That's a gambling route, and a big one.

The Jets aren't making the playoffs, so either Pavs will get traded for insurance to a playoff team, or he'll get sent back down or sat, so that Helle can again eventually start accruing experience for next season and beyond.

I'd probably go with Hellebyuck, because the other two are dependant on a trade to a good team.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    Geez. Talk about options. One is shut down, one isn't in the league so I'll go Helle as well.
    Lol, have you seen my team in sig. ?

I would bank on Helle here.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Lol, have you seen my team in sig. ?

Ouch. I almost expected to see Bryzgalov or Dipietro next.