Thread: Josh Morissey

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Josh Morissey

Good day,

I recently acquired Morissey in my league as a prospect. I'm not sure how to value him. Which other D prospects does he compare to value wise in a keeper?

Also, what do we see him turning out as in the bigs.

If possible, considering the scoring categories in my signature.

Thank you in advance.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

The Great One

Default Re: Josh Morissey

Was an early first rounder, but it's tough for him to get solid minutes on that team given the depth chart. He'll give you good hits and blocks even now - a combination of about 3 per game. His SOGs are lousy though. He might do better starting in 2018-19, since by then Enstrom and Stuart (plus possibly Trouba) will be gone and Morrissey should be poised to step up to a more major role.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Josh Morissey

I can tell you that he's got a high hockey IQ, he's an insanely good skater, he's got a fantastic defensive stick, and he'll never sniff the AHL again. His offensive game is difficult to ascertain, as far as I'm concerned. His main downside is that he doesn't have a bomb for a shot from the point. He can get shots to the net, but he'll never be that PP triggerman. Every other physical and mental asset he's got is solid, though, so his upside is still relatively good. He's probably been WPG's most consistent defenseman this season, although Trouba's really stepping it up lately.

Anyway, long story short, I think he can be a 35 point guy, regardless of PP opportunity, with upside for 45-ish, if he can eventually find a place for more ice-time and PP duties (even PP2, as WPG's pretty deep). His peripherals should be pretty good. He likes to hit, and once he secures SH time (he's too smart and good with his stick not to, eventually), his blocks will rise. Opportunity's an issue, but I see a slow, steady climb in all aspects of his game.

Fun fact: apparently Buff likes spotting young talent, and he requested to play with Morrissey this year, so that's a big reason why the two have been paired all season.

- - - Updated - - -

I can tell you that he's got a high hockey IQ, he's an insanely good skater, he's got a fantastic defensive stick, and he'll never sniff the AHL again. His offensive game is difficult to ascertain, as far as I'm concerned. His main downside is that he doesn't have a bomb for a shot from the point. He can get shots to the net, but he'll never be that PP triggerman. Every other physical and mental asset he's got is solid, though, so his upside is still relatively good. He's probably been WPG's most consistent defenseman this season, although Trouba's really stepping it up lately.

Anyway, long story short, I think he can be a 35 point guy, regardless of PP opportunity, with upside for 45-ish, if he can eventually find a place for more ice-time and PP duties (even PP2, as WPG's pretty deep). His peripherals should be pretty good. He likes to hit, and once he secures SH time (he's too smart and good with his stick not to, eventually), his blocks will rise. Opportunity's an issue, but I see a slow, steady climb in all aspects of his game.

Fun fact: apparently Buff likes spotting young talent, and he requested to play with Morrissey this year, so that's a big reason why the two have been paired all season.