Thread: Speculation: Tavares trade in the offseason?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Speculation: Tavares trade in the offseason?

The islanders are a mess and his contract is up in 2018. Typically star players resign but does Jt want to spend his prime years as the best player on a bad team?

You'd think the islanders are going to have to have a hard talk with him in the offseason and if he won't resign this offseason or sooner, it almost forces their hand as they can't let him walk away.

Could this happen? If yes, where do you see him potentially landing?
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Speculation: Tavares trade in the offseason?

This one is going to be interesting. Isles were looking on the upswing a year or two ago and now they're a complete mess. I suspect ownership is strongly considering firing Snow or bringing in a person to be above him as "director of Hockey Ops". I suspect their first goal is to try and show Tavares they have a plan to be competitive and to re-sign him long-term this July.

If Tavares doesn't want to re-sign then they'll have to move him sometime next season. When moving him I assume the first goal would be a sign-and-trade because that way the acquiring team would be willing to pay a premium. Last resort will be trading him as a rental with conditional picks for Tavares re-signing.

Teams who may take him in a sign-and-trade need: a young but improving core, lots of cap space for Tavares new deal and lots of prospects to pay the Isles.

1st stop is (obviously) Toronto. They have the core, they should have the cap-space, if they can somehow unload Nathan Horton it may actually be a fit. Tavares-Matthews is a combo they should be willing to pay a ton for.
    Montreal also has a ton of cap space, and improving core and could obviously use Tavares. Plekanec's 6m cap hit would be expiring just as Tavares got re-upped, Radulov is done this offseason as well.
    Florida also has a ton of cap space and a decent core. They are going in a completely different direction right now, maybe they make a big push for Tavares.
    Other teams with room: Carolina- can't spend given their ownership situation I'd guess. NJD- perhaps but do they have the prospects?
    Arizona is too cheap to afford Tavares.
    Winnipeg has a younger core and looks solid offensively.
    Ottawa is rumoured to have an internal cap.

Similar to all the speculation around Stamkos last season my actual bet is he stays put and signs a long-term deal with the Islanders.....

- - - Updated - - -

This one is going to be interesting. Isles were looking on the upswing a year or two ago and now they're a complete mess. I suspect ownership is strongly considering firing Snow or bringing in a person to be above him as "director of Hockey Ops". I suspect their first goal is to try and show Tavares they have a plan to be competitive and to re-sign him long-term this July.

If Tavares doesn't want to re-sign then they'll have to move him sometime next season. When moving him I assume the first goal would be a sign-and-trade because that way the acquiring team would be willing to pay a premium. Last resort will be trading him as a rental with conditional picks for Tavares re-signing.

Teams who may take him in a sign-and-trade need: a young but improving core, lots of cap space for Tavares new deal and lots of prospects to pay the Isles.

1st stop is (obviously) Toronto. They have the core, they should have the cap-space, if they can somehow unload Nathan Horton it may actually be a fit. Tavares-Matthews is a combo they should be willing to pay a ton for.
    Montreal also has a ton of cap space, and improving core and could obviously use Tavares. Plekanec's 6m cap hit would be expiring just as Tavares got re-upped, Radulov is done this offseason as well.
    Florida also has a ton of cap space and a decent core. They are going in a completely different direction right now, maybe they make a big push for Tavares.
    Other teams with room: Carolina- can't spend given their ownership situation I'd guess. NJD- perhaps but do they have the prospects?
    Arizona is too cheap to afford Tavares.
    Winnipeg has a younger core and looks solid offensively.
    Ottawa is rumoured to have an internal cap.

Similar to all the speculation around Stamkos last season my actual bet is he stays put and signs a long-term deal with the Islanders.....
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ace

If JT leaves, what happens to the Isles? That would likely finish them off per say...
    I'm not an isles fan, but as a hockey fan, I hope he does stay. They would never get fair value for him and that would at minimum set them back 5-10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

If JT leaves, what happens to the Isles? That would likely finish them off per say...
    I'm not an isles fan, but as a hockey fan, I hope he does stay. They would never get fair value for him and that would at minimum set them back 5-10 years.

Dobber Sports Pro

Honestly I do not see the Isles as that bad. They have a pretty good d core, and a F core that could add some of Barzal, Dal Colle, and Ho Sang (if the latter two do better) and competently use Beaullivier properly I think their F core will be fine... Even with the massive overpayments to Cizikas and Clusterbuck. So in summation JT will stay as NYI will throw tons of Money at him, but get ready for all the TORONTO MEDIA ARTICLES ON JT TO TORONTO

Lee-JT-Quine/Bailey
    Ladd-Strome-Nelson
    Beaullivier-Barzal-Bailey/Quine/Prince
    Kulimen-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
    E: Prince (probably better in the top 9, perhaps they move someone)

Leddy-Boychuk
    Hamonic-De Haan
    Pulock-Toews
    E: Hickey

G: Halak or FA signing (here is where it gets tricky, I think a better coach can help Halak and they need a good back up because he gets hurt a lot)

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I do not see the Isles as that bad. They have a pretty good d core, and a F core that could add some of Barzal, Dal Colle, and Ho Sang (if the latter two do better) and competently use Beaullivier properly I think their F core will be fine... Even with the massive overpayments to Cizikas and Clusterbuck. So in summation JT will stay as NYI will throw tons of Money at him, but get ready for all the TORONTO MEDIA ARTICLES ON JT TO TORONTO

Lee-JT-Quine/Bailey
    Ladd-Strome-Nelson
    Beaullivier-Barzal-Bailey/Quine/Prince
    Kulimen-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
    E: Prince (probably better in the top 9, perhaps they move someone)

Leddy-Boychuk
    Hamonic-De Haan
    Pulock-Toews
    E: Hickey

G: Halak or FA signing (here is where it gets tricky, I think a better coach can help Halak and they need a good back up because he gets hurt a lot)
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Superstar

I don't see it happening. If he doesn't want to say, I think ownership would step in and ask him what he needs. I could see them resetting for him, as in bringing in a new GM and coach to get things back on track. We have these discussions every time a player approaches free agency and speculate about what they might do (which is fun during the grind of the season) but ultimately, more often than not, they stay put. I am betting this will be a similar case.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    The islanders are a mess and his contract is up in 2018. Typically star players resign but does Jt want to spend his prime years as the best player on a bad team?

You'd think the islanders are going to have to have a hard talk with him in the offseason and if he won't resign this offseason or sooner, it almost forces their hand as they can't let him walk away.

Could this happen? If yes, where do you see him potentially landing?
    Tavares cannot sign an extension until July 1st, so "or sooner" is not possible. Of course the Islanders can have contract talks with Tavares already before that, so they should know what he wants to do. If he doesn't want to re-sign, they need to trade him ASAP. Teams will waste their money on July 1st, so after that there will be less teams available as trading partners for the Islanders. The draft is usually the best place for a trade like this, so the Islanders need to have that serious talk before the draft. If Tavares is interested in re-signing, then start talking numbers with him on July 1st. If he's saying anything else, then they need to trade him at the draft to get best possible value.

Sign and trade rarely happens anymore, especially with pending UFAs (it's more likely with RFAs). Tavares would have no guarantees that the receiving team would honor his NTC/NMC that he will definitely want and have on his contract. But there's nothing they can write in the contract that would obligate the receiving team to honor that, so Tavares has no reason to play ball. He can just finish his contract with the Islanders and then sign with whatever team he wants. So sign and trade is out of the question because Tavares wouldn't do it.

Potential landing spots:
    San Jose (if Thornton and Marleau don't return after next year)
    Montreal (Plekanec's contract ends in 2018)
    Minnesota (Koivu's contract ends in 2018)
    St. Louis (Stastny's contract ends in 2018)

Tavares's $5.5M cap hit won't be too difficult to absorb next year but his extension will likely be around the $10M mark, so any team acquiring him will need to have big salary expiring at that time. That's why I listed these teams as potential destinations even though they may not have enough cap space right now.

But yes, re-signing with the Islanders is still the most likely option until we hear otherwise.

The Great One

Former Islanders executive, Chris Botta, was talking about this situation a bit ago on Leafs lunch.

There were reports that, when drafted, Tavares didn't want the Islanders to draft him. He Chris said Tavares called him personally and told him to deny those rumours. He said when he was drafted that Tavares really wanted to be an Islander and really wanted to be the guy that 'saves' the franchise and really wanted to be the guy that brings success to the organization.

Chris Botta really thinks that he will remain on Islander. He was a former Islanders executive so he might know a little bit more than us.

Saying that, who the hell would want to remain an Islander.

They let his good friend and linemate (Okposo) walk away without even offering him a deal. Their high picks haven't really turned out. The basketball arena that they play in is a joke. The coach is in limbo. If Gallant rejects the Isles that really says something.

We'll see what happens. I have no idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Former Islanders executive, Chris Botta, was talking about this situation a bit ago on Leafs lunch.

There were reports that, when drafted, Tavares didn't want the Islanders to draft him. He Chris said Tavares called him personally and told him to deny those rumours. He said when he was drafted that Tavares really wanted to be an Islander and really wanted to be the guy that 'saves' the franchise and really wanted to be the guy that brings success to the organization.

Chris Botta really thinks that he will remain on Islander. He was a former Islanders executive so he might know a little bit more than us.

Saying that, who the hell would want to remain an Islander.

They let his good friend and linemate (Okposo) walk away without even offering him a deal. Their high picks haven't really turned out. The basketball arena that they play in is a joke. The coach is in limbo. If Gallant rejects the Isles that really says something.

We'll see what happens. I have no idea.

The Great One

Personally I think they keep him, as others have speculated, it will be on his terms though and that will go beyond just the contract

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I think they keep him, as others have speculated, it will be on his terms though and that will go beyond just the contract
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Pro

I would never want to play for the Islanders. They're like the Rangers little brother that always has to be invited to the party but nobody actually wants them there.

Dobber Sports Master

signed within 2 weeks of whatever date they can start negotiating - he's not doing the stamkos dog and pony show

Dobber Sports Ace

I hope you're right. It would be good for hockey and the isles franchise , IMO, wouldn't recover from losing him.
    Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    signed within 2 weeks of whatever date they can start negotiating - he's not doing the stamkos dog and pony show

Dobber Sports Master

and fwiw , botta can probably write a book on the lean years of the isles . I wouldnt say he was an executive though as I believe he was simply a public relations dept. kind of guy but since the isles were run on a shoe string budget he probably wore alot of hats

Dobber Sports Stud

The issue with the islanders is that horrific sheet of ice they call a rink.

Doug Weight has the team going with a chip and chase approach which seems to be working so far. The puck just won't sit well enough for skills and passing.

Everything I have read from JT says he likes the franchise and living in the NY metro area, but who knows how he "really" feels. Either way he is going to get PAID big time.

The good news is that the controlling management guys know the ice stinks and that the team needs a true home. They will either get it in the area or jump through the appropriate hoops to move to a proper building. Its too bad Barclays was not built with a long term approach to hosting hockey. The state of the ice there is shameful and NHL teams with players dealing with leg issues might do well to rest them when playing in Brooklyn.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.