Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Stone - under the radar and having his best season yet

Banned

Default Mark Stone - under the radar and having his best season yet

Another year of great play from Mark Stone, who doesn't get much respect from media or fans outside Ottawa.

On pace for 29 goals, 67 points, and is usually a beast in the second half. Also leading the league in takeaways by a huge margin (no idea why he is never in Selke conversations). His line with Smith and Brassard has been excellent.

I hereby proclaim that Stone will in fact hit 70 points. Hell, he could get 75 if he goes point per game like he did last year.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Mark Stone - under the radar and having his best season yet

That's because he's not overhyped by the media or fans outside Ottawa. 60pt wingers are fairly common. Heck JVR is on pace for 70+ points, he's having a better offensive season than Stone. Doesn't mean he's a legit 70pt player.

I don't know what the Selke criteria is so I won't comment on that but I'm assuming it's more than just takeaways, hence why it's usually centers who are nominated for the award.

Dobber Sports Genius

The only thing troubling with Mark Stone hitting those high goal totals is his lack of shots. Is a super skilled forward though and I hope you are right because I traded for him this year.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Initiate

Fairly certain FOW and TOI-SH are key factors in determining Selke winners. Sadly, Stone doesn't contribute to either of those categories.

Nonetheless, his season has been productive thus far. Here's hoping Big Sheik is on the money with his call for 70+.

- - - Updated - - -

Fairly certain FOW and TOI-SH are key factors in determining Selke winners. Sadly, Stone doesn't contribute to either of those categories.

Nonetheless, his season has been productive thus far. Here's hoping Big Sheik is on the money with his call for 70+.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Kuznetsov Frost WKarlsson ---MBourque Rossi MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson
    LW: Caufield Hagel Nichushkin EKane---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brown Kakko---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan
    D : Theodore Seider Addison Klingberg Gostisbehere Fehervary---Edvinsson
    G : Talbot Korpisalo ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Chabot Hart Novak Andersen

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts, 1 2nd
    2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Pro

He is playing very well and I am enjoying the points he is giving me... but I really wish he would shoot the damn puck more. He is on pace for 29 goals.... but on only 136 bloody shots! If anyone thinks he will finish with 30+ goals at a 22.1% shooting percentage, I have a bridge for sale and I'm willing to give a great deal on it. His assist rate is perfectly sustainable, but if he keeps up this dismal shooting pace then I think he ends up between 22 and 25 goals, 38-40 assists, and 60-65 points.

I am rooting for him and I would love to be proven wrong, but I seriously doubt he goes over 70 points unless he starts shooting at least 2.5 times per game.
    Last edited by BreadManPanarin; January 19, 2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in assist estimate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    That's because he's not overhyped by the media or fans outside Ottawa. 60pt wingers are fairly common. Heck JVR is on pace for 70+ points, he's having a better offensive season than Stone. Doesn't mean he's a legit 70pt player.

I don't know what the Selke criteria is so I won't comment on that but I'm assuming it's more than just takeaways, hence why it's usually centers who are nominated for the award.
    He isn't overhyped by Ottawa at all. He's a star in all zones. Has been for three years now. He just doesn't get the attention he deserves. This isn't even about just his offense, he's a beast defensively. To suggest 60 points (even though he's clearly proven to be better than that) is common nowadays is ignorant. Only 21 wingers had 60 points last year. Sure it's not at the top, but it isn't "common" either. 60 points puts you in the top third of 1st liners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    He is playing very well and I am enjoying the points he is giving me... but I really wish he would shoot the damn puck more. He is on pace for 29 goals.... but on only 136 bloody shots! If anyone thinks he will finish with 30+ goals at a 22.1% shooting percentage, I have a bridge for sale and I'm willing to give a great deal on it. His assist rate is perfectly sustainable, but if he keeps up this dismal shooting pace then I think he ends up between 22 and 25 goals, 38-40 assists, and 60-65 points.

I am rooting for him and I would love to be proven wrong, but I seriously doubt he goes over 70 points unless he starts shooting at least 2.5 times per game.
    He just isn't a shooter. He's pass first. I don't think he'll finish with 30 goals. I think he'll get 25-26 like last year.

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree with the BreadMan that was exactly what I was getting at.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Fair about the FOW even though that's a dumb criteria and pretty ancient thinking, but what do you mean he doesn't contribute in TOI-SH?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    Fair about the FOW even though that's a dumb criteria and pretty ancient thinking, but what do you mean he doesn't contribute in TOI-SH?
    He isn't killing penalties. At least not this season. I just scanned through his game log for this season...not a single game with more than 20 seconds TOI-SH.

Maybe Boucher wants him focused on offense. But from the outside looking in, if his coach isn't putting him out there to kill penalties, it'll be hard to convince the voters in the press that he's Selke material.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Kuznetsov Frost WKarlsson ---MBourque Rossi MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson
    LW: Caufield Hagel Nichushkin EKane---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brown Kakko---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan
    D : Theodore Seider Addison Klingberg Gostisbehere Fehervary---Edvinsson
    G : Talbot Korpisalo ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Chabot Hart Novak Andersen

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts, 1 2nd
    2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

The Magnificent One

Ever pause for a second Ev......err I mean Sheik.....to think that him posting 61-67 points for the third year in a row might mean he's NOT a 70 point player?

Since 1990-91 exactly two NHLers posted 3 seasons of 61-70 points between the ages of 21-25: Geoff Sanderson and Jeff O'Neill. Neither one ended up scoring 70+ thereafter.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Pro

He just isn't a shooter. He's pass first. I don't think he'll finish with 30 goals. I think he'll get 25-26 like last year.
    Okay, I see what you are saying. You expect some mild regression in his goal scoring, but a significant uptick in his assist rate. Last year in Feb/March he averaged .6 assists per game so I guess I can see upgrading his full season assists number from 38-40 up to 42-45. With 22-25 goals that would put him at 64-70 points, so it is certainly feasible. Still, if the mark we are shooting for is 70 points then I am betting on the under. Especially if he misses even a couple of games. I will 100% be rooting for 70+ with you, though... and I will be the first one to show up to admit I was wrong if he pulls it off!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    He isn't killing penalties. At least not this season. I just scanned through his game log for this season...not a single game with more than 20 seconds TOI-SH.

Maybe Boucher wants him focused on offense. But from the outside looking in, if his coach isn't putting him out there to kill penalties, it'll be hard to convince the voters in the press that he's Selke material.
    Fair enough, I watch all the games and did know he kills some penalties, but did not realize it was that low. With the addition of Pyatt, he was bumped off the 1st unit. Another dumb criteria for Selke, but it is what is it. Not a big deal as the award doesn't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Ever pause for a second Ev......err I mean Sheik.....to think that him posting 61-67 points for the third year in a row might mean he's NOT a 70 point player?

Since 1990-91 exactly two NHLers posted 3 seasons of 61-70 points between the ages of 21-25: Geoff Sanderson and Jeff O'Neill. Neither one ended up scoring 70+ thereafter.
    I'm not going to argue with you about Mark Stone. You were already proven wrong about him. Bye bye.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Okay, I see what you are saying. You expect some mild regression in his goal scoring, but a significant uptick in his assist rate. Last year in Feb/March he averaged .6 assists per game so I guess I can see upgrading his full season assists number from 38-40 up to 42-45. With 22-25 goals that would put him at 64-70 points, so it is certainly feasible. Still, if the mark we are shooting for is 70 points then I am betting on the under. Especially if he misses even a couple of games. I will 100% be rooting for 70+ with you, though... and I will be the first one to show up to admit I was wrong if he pulls it off!

Since the start of 2014-2015, over the last 196 games, he has scored 64 goals, good for 26.77 goals per 82 games. I think it's a pretty great bet that he will score 25 this year. He only needs 10 more in 40 games. I don't know what to predict for each goal and assist category, but I believe he will be a point per game player or very close in the last 40 games.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i don't see what the issue is. 60pt winger that is good defensively. nothing wrong with that, as you said 20 or so Wingers put up those point totals last year, and I think another 20 C did as well. so that puts him as a top 50 player, I'd say he gets just as much recognition as he deserves.

if you're complaining he doesn't get enough then you can blame Ottawa for that. small hockey market isn't going to help much especially when the Sens have been a bubble playoff team for most of his career. he just won't get as much exposure, it's no different than OEL in Arizona.

Dobber Sports Pro

This thread will soon have an alternate headline: "Troll Big Ev/Shiek about Mark Stone not hitting 70 points"

I like Mark Stone, I need him to keep scoring (especially in the playoffs) and hope he does it. But in the end I think he will just fall short of 70 points, but it is not like 65 points is bad for a player now-a-days

- - - Updated - - -

This thread will soon have an alternate headline: "Troll Big Ev/Shiek about Mark Stone not hitting 70 points"

I like Mark Stone, I need him to keep scoring (especially in the playoffs) and hope he does it. But in the end I think he will just fall short of 70 points, but it is not like 65 points is bad for a player now-a-days
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league