Thread: Jose Bautista Signs With?.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Jose Bautista Signs With?.

Toronto Blue Jays. 1 yr, mutual option for 2 yrs (2019 free agent again).
    http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/121...-with-bautista
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Jose Bautista Signs With?.

https://twitter.com/ScottyMacThinks/...53318828527616

Per TSN #MLB Insider Steve Phillips: Bautista gets $18M in 2017. Could get up to $60M over 3 years with options/incentives. #BlueJays
    - - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/ScottyMacThinks/status/821453318828527616

Per TSN #MLB Insider Steve Phillips: Bautista gets $18M in 2017. Could get up to $60M over 3 years with options/incentives. #BlueJays
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Nice! I would have liked for them to sign Encarnacion as well, but Bautista alone is good.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I thought this was a prediction thread and I was like um. Lol

Dobber Sports Titan

The only way this makes sense as a value signing is if Bautista takes over the DH spot. Playing there he could stay healthy and have an Ortiz kind of role. Then I guess you platoon Morales and Smoak at 1st base? It's tough to understand the full plan at the moment.
    I'm still on the side of "I would have rathered Edwin" but I'm not going to knock this signing, because if Bautista can stay healthy, then he can be a great boost to the team. If not, then we can let him walk next summer and make sure we pay JD.

- - - Updated - - -

The only way this makes sense as a value signing is if Bautista takes over the DH spot. Playing there he could stay healthy and have an Ortiz kind of role. Then I guess you platoon Morales and Smoak at 1st base? It's tough to understand the full plan at the moment.
    I'm still on the side of "I would have rathered Edwin" but I'm not going to knock this signing, because if Bautista can stay healthy, then he can be a great boost to the team. If not, then we can let him walk next summer and make sure we pay JD.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

This, to me has DH written all over it. He'll get a few starts in RF, but I'd expect 120 games as DH. Perhaps only playing the field on the road with natural grass.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Unless the Jays plan on starting Morales at 1B more often than not, I don't know how Bautista gets to be the DH on a regular basis.

I wont be one bit surprised if Jose isnt starting at RF most nights.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless the Jays plan on starting Morales at 1B more often than not, I don't know how Bautista gets to be the DH on a regular basis.

10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

Not a fan of this deal even though I know Joey Bats is a fan fave. Agree he will be in the field most nights and that won't help the Jays one bit.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports All-Star

May or may not be a good deal but I like it. Would have been tough on the fans losing both him and EE.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I thought this was a prediction thread and I was like um. Lol
    With how wonky the site has been, it switched ??..? with ??.? I was pausing for dramatic effect.

Morales isn?t playing 1B often at all. He has only played 16 games (128.1innings) over 2 yrs with KCR. He played 37innings last yr at RF, the same as he played at 1B last yr! JB is only playing DH if Morales is sitting, which was like 16games last yr. Maybe Morales goes in for a game or 2 at 1B, and JB DH then, but to plan on Morales playing 10+ games at 1B is hard to do for me.

This is a forced relationship between the Jays and JB. If you got both alone and asked, ?Was this your plan going into the offseason?? both would agree this was Plan G. However, JB isn?t dumb with himself. He knows how to market and treat his body, and knows his own worth. This could help greatly for the Jays this yr as he COULD go in and make his next contract huge. There was stats shown a week ago or two that should the production before the 1st injury, production between injury 1 and 2, and production post 2nd injury. His numbers pre-1st and post 2nd injury were actually inline for Bautista.

Looking at what the Jays need, how much money they have, and what?s on the market, this signing doesn?t hamper them at all. Also, if the Jays are out of the playoff race, and he?s doing well, easy trade because Jays can eat all the salary if a team wants him.

This isn?t what I wanted in the Jays offseason, but I rather them spend the money (let?s face it, they are better with him on it than him not on it) than save the salary.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I like the signing. I can't wait to learn the details surrounding the 2nd and 3rd year options. If it's relatively cheap for the Jays to ditch Bautista if he's not performing then the deal gets even better. Here's how the score has the Jays starting lineup projected in the article:

PLAYER POS. 2016 OPS 2016 HR 2016 WAR
    Devon Travis 2B .785 11 2.5
    Josh Donaldson 3B .953 37 7.6
    Jose Bautista RF .817 22 1.4
    Kendrys Morales DH .795 30 0.7
    Troy Tulowitzki SS .761 24 2.8
    Russell Martin C .733 20 1.9
    Steve Pearce 1B .867 13 2.0
    Kevin Pillar CF .679 7 3.2
    Melvin Upton Jr. LF .693 20 1.2

That's a solid, but likely not Division Championship, starting-9 IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the signing. I can't wait to learn the details surrounding the 2nd and 3rd year options. If it's relatively cheap for the Jays to ditch Bautista if he's not performing then the deal gets even better. Here's how the score has the Jays starting lineup projected in the article:

PLAYER POS. 2016 OPS 2016 HR 2016 WAR
    Devon Travis 2B .785 11 2.5
    Josh Donaldson 3B .953 37 7.6
    Jose Bautista RF .817 22 1.4
    Kendrys Morales DH .795 30 0.7
    Troy Tulowitzki SS .761 24 2.8
    Russell Martin C .733 20 1.9
    Steve Pearce 1B .867 13 2.0
    Kevin Pillar CF .679 7 3.2
    Melvin Upton Jr. LF .693 20 1.2

That's a solid, but likely not Division Championship, starting-9 IMO.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

@LawMan
    It’s a mutual option both yrs. So both parties have to agree on extending the contract. Yr 1 is 18mill, yr 2 is 17mill, and yr 3 is 20mill. Both options can be bought out for $500,000/option.

With mutual options, it’s as likely as a Goalie getting a hat trick. If the player outperforms his contract, the team will pick up the option, but why would the player agree? He’d opt out. If the player can’t perform to the contract and won’t sign a new one for the same value he’ll pick up the option, but the team won’t. It would be the perfect situation for them to pick the options up.

Unless Bautista has a monster yr and wants to do the Jays a favour and pick up the option in yr2, this is essentially a 1yr contract. And I’d be floored if he would do the Jays a favour with picking up the option after a monster yr.

- - - Updated - - -

@LawMan
    It?s a mutual option both yrs. So both parties have to agree on extending the contract. Yr 1 is 18mill, yr 2 is 17mill, and yr 3 is 20mill. Both options can be bought out for $500,000/option.

With mutual options, it?s as likely as a Goalie getting a hat trick. If the player outperforms his contract, the team will pick up the option, but why would the player agree? He?d opt out. If the player can?t perform to the contract and won?t sign a new one for the same value he?ll pick up the option, but the team won?t. It would be the perfect situation for them to pick the options up.

Unless Bautista has a monster yr and wants to do the Jays a favour and pick up the option in yr2, this is essentially a 1yr contract. And I?d be floored if he would do the Jays a favour with picking up the option after a monster yr.

Dobber Sports Superstar

@2014olympicgold. Thanks.

I read "mutual option" and didn't understand how that made any sense for the exact reasons you mentioned. So on the off chance they both agree he's worth exactly $18m next season he can stay for that. If Bautista agrees to extend and the Jays don't then they have to pay hims $500,000 to go away?

That's not bad I guess but I can see why a mutual option is pretty unlikely to get picked up.

- - - Updated - - -

@2014olympicgold. Thanks.

I read "mutual option" and didn't understand how that made any sense for the exact reasons you mentioned. So on the off chance they both agree he's worth exactly $18m next season he can stay for that. If Bautista agrees to extend and the Jays don't then they have to pay hims $500,000 to go away?

That's not bad I guess but I can see why a mutual option is pretty unlikely to get picked up.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

Ya, except yr2 is for 17mill. If they don’t want to pick it up but Bautista does the Jays pay him $500,000. If the Jays want him and Bautista wants to go to FA, no money is paid.

The big thing would be if JB doesn’t want to compete vs Upton, Melky, Holliday, Gomez, Gonzalez, Cain, Martinez, Bruce, Rasmus and such and he’s close to being worth 17mill in his eyes, he could agree to pick up his option. But if he outperforms his deal by a smidge he’s opting out.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya, except yr2 is for 17mill. If they don?t want to pick it up but Bautista does the Jays pay him $500,000. If the Jays want him and Bautista wants to go to FA, no money is paid.

The big thing would be if JB doesn?t want to compete vs Upton, Melky, Holliday, Gomez, Gonzalez, Cain, Martinez, Bruce, Rasmus and such and he?s close to being worth 17mill in his eyes, he could agree to pick up his option. But if he outperforms his deal by a smidge he?s opting out.

Dobber Sports Jedi

No where near enough baserunning aggressiveness or grit in my opinion to make a serious run. You look at the teams that have done well the past few years, they push for an extra base every play. KC, Clev. Chi, Stl. they grind out plays. Morales is slower than Edwin...

They'll get outplayed on the base paths again this year if they make the playoffs.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4