Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Jake Allen?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default What to do with Jake Allen?

I thought I got myself my #1 goaltender for this season when I picked him after seeing him slide in my draft this year. Needless to say, I've been disappointed. I'm wondering what I should do with him. Just stay patient while he attempts to find his game? Should I give up and try to acquire another goalie? I would really appreciate some input, especially from other Jake Allen owners.

Thanks guys!
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: What to do with Jake Allen?

I have him as my main goalie in a 1-year league and I've been burnt by him numerous times. I don't think he will turn things around this year but he is definitely skilled enough to keep the crease on a given NHL team down the line (St-Louis may look for someone else as they are in a win-now mode).

Our league has 8 teams and goalies are hard to come by so in a 10-team league, I would assume that the waiver pool is pretty empty. If Hutton is available, I would snag him and ride the hot-hand until one of the 2 emerges as the better tender (Allen will be that guy, but I don't know if his numbers will be strong enough to warrant him being your 2nd and only goalie). Thank the goalie gods that you have Dubby to hold your fort at least!

Looking at your roster, I don't see any names that would help you land a good-enough goalie to warrant creating a hole in your roster.

Keep your fingers crossed and ride out the slump; that's what I would do here. Allen is skilled enough to turn things around, but as I said, I'm not banking on him doing it this year.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I thought the same, when I dropped Duby to acquire Allen on wire.
    The GM who dropped Allen, took Duby and he is in second right now.
    When I had him, he destroyed all my goalie cats except W, but I see he is not even ensuring that recently.
    You have pretty good forwards, so I think you should try to package a player to get a better goalie.
    That's what I did to get rid of Allen, but my other goalie was Lundy, and I had to shift all my players around to trade him away again.
    Or you could just acquire a decent goalie with one of your top skaters to run with three goalies.

The Great One

I'd ride him - to give you an idea a couple of weeks ago on my main team I had Bishop on IR and struggling, Allen and Halak... Luckily I had Greiss and Johnson on the farm to ride (I also had Pickard but meh). Trying to acquire a goalie was going to cost me a king's ransom I.e. Pasta, Wennberg and my next two 1sts for Dubnyk. Teams can smell blood and if you panic now you will overpay and do more damage than good IMO. Wait until Allen gets hot again and then move him to bring another goalie on
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm dropping him for Robin Lehner. I've had just about enough of this.
    20-team dynasty cats League, Daily sets
    25 keepers, 2 rookies
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPP,GWG, FOW, Hits, BLKS, SOG, Goalie starts,GAA,SV%,SVS,W,

F: O'Brien, Newhook, Wennberg, Tavares, Kuraly, Bjorkstrand, Skinner, Zucker, Bertuzzi, Coleman, Kurashev, N Robertson

D: Dunn, Moser, Matheson, Mintyukov

G: Binnington, Fleury, Forsberg, Dostal, Rittich
    NA: Sogaard, Denisenko, Annunen

Dobber Sports Jedi

I think he needs to join Trumps White House staff.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

Figured it was Hitchcock's swan song. With Elliott out of the way (barring his usual injury) it would be his year to go to a tier above.

He's crapping the bed, and we've all been burned by him.

God only know why he sucks so bad. Id hold on to him. Maybe Im a sucker like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Figured it was Hitchcock's swan song. With Elliott out of the way (barring his usual injury) it would be his year to go to a tier above.

He's crapping the bed, and we've all been burned by him.

God only know why he sucks so bad. Id hold on to him. Maybe Im a sucker like that.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Is this a buy-low opportunity? Does he turn it around to be an average or just above average G the ROS?

I'm thinking about trying to acquire him in my weekly H2H for the playoffs. I gotta play 2 G, and right now I have Price, Budaj, Lehner, Vasilevski. At some point Quick is back and Budaj is worth a bag of pucks. I'm keeping vasilevski for future years.

As long as my G's get wins, I'm golden. Does Allen get more wins in the last 7 weeks of the season over Lehner?
    Weekly H2H 4games/week. 14 Teams,21 Player roster+ 3 protected prospects
    20 week Regular season + 3 Rounds of Playoffs
    Keep 10

G+A = 1pt, Dman G+A = 1.5pt, PPG =1pt, PPA = 0.5pt, SHG = 1pt, SHA = 0.5pt, ShootoutG = 0.25pt, GWG = 1pt, Hatty = 3pt, DMan Hatty = 5pt, +/- (For D only) = +/- 0.5pt, W = 2pt, L = -1pt, OTL = 1pt, ShootoutL = 0.5pt, SO = 1pt, S = 0.1pt, GA = -0.5pt, Goalie Goal = 5pt

Each week play: 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 D, 2 G
    C: Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf, Zibanejad
    LW: Schwartz, Kase, Debrusk, Dzingel
    RW: Ehlers, Lindholm, Zuccarrello, Tuch
    D: Letang, Burns, Krug, Edler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Fleury, Saros, Domingue
    Prospects: Sorokin, Kaprizov, Hart

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by nickchau2000 View Post
    Is this a buy-low opportunity? Does he turn it around to be an average or just above average G the ROS?

I'm thinking about trying to acquire him in my weekly H2H for the playoffs. I gotta play 2 G, and right now I have Price, Budaj, Lehner, Vasilevski. At some point Quick is back and Budaj is worth a bag of pucks. I'm keeping vasilevski for future years.

As long as my G's get wins, I'm golden. Does Allen get more wins in the last 7 weeks of the season over Lehner?
    I think the Blues will acquire a more proven goalie to play with Allen, so it's possible Allen becomes a backup during the H2H playoffs.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I think the Blues will acquire a more proven goalie to play with Allen, so it's possible Allen becomes a backup during the H2H playoffs.
    They gave Allen a 4 year contract extension this summer, I just don't see them bringing another goaltender and make Allen the backup. I gotta believe they will let him work through this.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    They gave Allen a 4 year contract extension this summer, I just don't see them bringing another goaltender and make Allen the backup. I gotta believe they will let him work through this.
    I'm not saying they'll necessarily bring in anyone with term left, so maybe just a high-end rental like Ben Bishop. The Blues are a "win now" team and Allen isn't helping them win right now.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Allen is worth a gamble as a buy low, but I'd want to give up little for him. I think he's capable of being an average NHL goalie, but right now, he's in a funk. He does have a sizeable contract, so they are tied to him a bit, but I'd expect the Blues to make a move for a guy to share the load, as it seems that they had 0 guys who could be a workhorse at the end of last year rather than 2.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Would you trade Helly for Allen?
    im trying to win now (seems like neither will help) but also as keeper? (maybe Allen is better..?)
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tripel View Post
    Would you trade Helly for Allen?
    im trying to win now (seems like neither will help) but also as keeper? (maybe Allen is better..?)
    I would definitely want Hellebyuck over Allen long-term.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Nope, not trading Helle for Allen, but I do think this is a buy low opportunity -- for the 2017/18 season. I would not acquire him for a playoff push THIS year.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4