Thread: Keeper Team Evaluation

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Keeper Team Evaluation

I'm looking for feedback on my limited keeper team (keep 6). Full roster and league details in my signature below. Rep for advice.

Basically, I'm ready to pull the plug on this season and start building towards next year -- gathering picks and so on. My goaltending has been nightmarishly bad, my D has dramatically underperformed, and a lot of my keepers have under performed (OV, Karlsson, Benn, Bishop, Allen). I'm in 5th right now, 30~ points from 1st and 15~ points out of contending for the top 3 spots, and I've been mired in this position all season long.

Who do you keep, who do you move, and what areas do you try to address?
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Keeper Team Evaluation

In a 10 team league no way would I be keeping Allen over Kucherov. I think if you could get something for Keith/Seabrook, then that's a start.

- - - Updated - - -

In a 10 team league no way would I be keeping Allen over Kucherov. I think if you could get something for Keith/Seabrook, then that's a start.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

I would keep OV, Benn, Tarasenko, Kucherov and Karlsson. Then maybe try to package Atkinson and Bishop for another Top D.

- - - Updated - - -

I would keep OV, Benn, Tarasenko, Kucherov and Karlsson. Then maybe try to package Atkinson and Bishop for another Top D.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    '25 & '26 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy
    B -
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

I should clarify: Allen, Bishop, OV, Karlsson, Benn, and Tarasenko are the guys I kept in Sept. 2016, which is when we make decisions annually on keepers in this league. I consider my keepers for Sept 2017 an open question -- and yes, with Kucherov being the most obvious candidate to replace one of last year's keepers.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

I will need to have at least 1 keeper goalie on my roster come Sept. 2017. In this league, 15+ goalies are kept every year, meaning that getting 2 strong starters in the draft is almost impossible.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

The Great One

I'd see if you could turn Atkinson into some picks for next year. I'd also wait a bit and see if Bishop and/or Allen can pick things up....I'd try peddling one of them as I can't see you keeping them both.

So it sounds like the advice so far is 1) hold on to the key keeper skaters (OV, Benn, Tarasenko, Karlsson, Kucherov), 2) sell off peripheral players (Atkinson, Keith, Seabrook) for picks, and 3) try to do something about the goaltending. Interesting, since after 3 months of disastrous performance, I was rapidly approaching 'blow it all up!' mode.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

The Great One

In a keep 6 there is no need to blow it all up. You've got 6 good keepers. Just sell off the extra's to those fighting for a championship and make another go at it next year!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Goaltending is your weak spot. I don't think Allen has really underperformed, he's just been what he is, an average to slightly above average goalie on a very good, sound defensive team. I would look to deal Allen for a better goalie, specifically a more talented goalie on a team that can be up to somewhat worse. Keeping one of yours could be fine, but I'd be willing to deal any of the goalies to get a better keeper there.

I'd be very willing to deal Allen & Atkinson for something that helps you a lot more next year, for example.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.