Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My trade was vetoed, what to do next?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default My trade was vetoed, what to do next?

My trade was just vetoed and I'm kind of shocked. The guy I traded with writes columns for rotowire so he's not exaclty a noob, and he's a vet in the league. He's rebuilding for next year. It's my first year in the league but I'm the one accused of ripping him off.

It's an 8 teams yearly roto keeper league, (no playoffs, $$$). 7 keepers, you can keep a player two times tops, (3 year max on your team, it's important), and the trick is that to keep a player, you forfeit the pick of the round he was drafted in. If you want to keep Bobrovskyi who was drafted in the 14th round, you forfeit your 14th rounder for next year's draft.

I traded my Vasilesvksyi (20th round) and an 8th round pick for next year
    (keep in mind it's an 8 team league, players drafted this year in the 8th include Matthews, Toews, Krug...)
    for
    Boborvskyi (14th round) and Keith (9th round).

Let's say Keith and 8th round pick is pretty much a wash, although i wasn't willing to do it straight up.

Now Bob is a starter right now while Vasi isn't, but for the 2 other years of the cylce of the player on our team, he should be, (Bishop set to become FA along with Johnson, Palat and Drouin all RFA and the expansion draft) and will cost only a 20th to keep, while Bob will cost a 14th).

Players taken in the 14th this year: Bob, Stepan, Neuvirth, O'Reilly, Van Riemsdyk, Saad, Ehlers, Schwartz.
    Players taken in the 20th this year: Turris, Vasilevskyi, Daley, Miller, RNH, Werenski, Huberdeau, Trocheck.

In the end it's pretty much Bob and JVR for Vasi and RNH for 2 years and a half, (I took my trading partners pick in the 14th and in the 20th for argument's sake here).

I understand that some might view this trade as a bit favorable for me since I get an upgrade now, but is this really such an unreasonable trade that it endangers the integrity of the league and has to be vetoed and overturned?

I voiced my concerns in a calm and argumented way, and was told that while Bbob is produtcive now and Vasi isn't, along with the incertitude surounding him going forward, this trade is unreasonable and has to be overturned. Please noet that this league allows players for pick trades, so I'm not sure what to make of those since a pick isn't a productive assett by definition. Also I heard about trade being assessed right now that I feel like are in the same range or worst than the Bob trade above, and those involve one of the vetoers here. It was actually dealt with at the unanimity of 2 people. Both trying to winthe league as well. I'm in first place right now. One of the arguments the trade comitte gave me was impact on the standings had been taken into account. This is not the least of my concerns.

I like to give the benefit of the doubt, and always abide by league rules and policies without giving trouble to people running leagues for free, wich I appreciate a lot, but this time around the frustration doesn't go and I feel like I'm getting screwed here, and that the veto system is flawed. I already received tons of feedback from wise fantasy hockey mind confirming that I don't see this wrong, now I'm asking for more educated opinions while I'm wondering what to do next...
    105 teams (7 divisions of 15 teams with indivual drafts), Regular Season Points Total, Playoffs H2H Points, One Year League $$$
    Start 4F, 4D, 2U, 2G daily, 5 bench
    G, A, +/- (important cat), PIM, PPG, SHG, SHA, GWG, HAT, SOG, WIN, GA, SV, SO, OTL

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: My trade was vetoed, what to do next?

You definitely win the trade and I don't really understand how you managed to pull it off but there's nothing veto worthy there.

The Great One

TBH I always have a veto but seems an odd one
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I juste noticed i posted it in the wrong section, if someone can move it i'll appr?ciate. Sorry about that.
    105 teams (7 divisions of 15 teams with indivual drafts), Regular Season Points Total, Playoffs H2H Points, One Year League $$$
    G, A, +/- (important cat), PIM, PPG, SHG, SHA, GWG, HAT, SOG, WIN, GA, SV, SO, OTL

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Ace

I hate leagues with the veto rule. As long as both gms are happy, it's a good trade. But ya you def win on this deal. But he agreed to it.
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Is the veto done by league voting? Or does the commish resign supreme. (I may have missed this part). You mention 2 unanimous people carrying out the veto.

I can't stand Vetos either. I get wanting to protect the integrity of the league but come on. In the WHL through Dobber site, I think we need 75% of the total 24 teams to exercise a veto. But in an 8 team league, that's only 6 teams. But given you and the other GM don't get a do over vote, that would be 100% of the other GM's. I guess if every other GM had a problem then I'd be More accepting as it would be a league wide decision. But not how this went down.

This sounds like you have 1 or 2 guys exercising their power... and I hate that.

Hope you win the league even more now... take your money and then approach Pengwin about joining the WHL.

Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Is the veto done by league voting? Or does the commish resign supreme. (I may have missed this part). You mention 2 unanimous people carrying out the veto.

I can't stand Vetos either. I get wanting to protect the integrity of the league but come on. In the WHL through Dobber site, I think we need 75% of the total 24 teams to exercise a veto. But in an 8 team league, that's only 6 teams. But given you and the other GM don't get a do over vote, that would be 100% of the other GM's. I guess if every other GM had a problem then I'd be More accepting as it would be a league wide decision. But not how this went down.

This sounds like you have 1 or 2 guys exercising their power... and I hate that.

Hope you win the league even more now... take your money and then approach Pengwin about joining the WHL.

Good luck

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for your returns guy, makes me more comfortable with the way I'm viewing things. Basically every trade is subject to a trade comittee, formed by the three oldest members of the league if i'm not mistaken. Per the rules, a majority vote will be enough to overturn a trade, so basically, yea, two people can overturn a trade, and that's what happened there as the third member recused himself. (said he would vote if needed, but he wasn't needed since both other gms said no trade).

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Monster

I always liked the veto rule but I only like seeing it done where two gm's are colluding. ive seen worse trades in some of my leagues and i been on the receiving end of terrible trade and was due to me being inexperienced. my first ever trade in a pts keeper was my ovechkin, gaborik, brown for huberdeau, couturier, hamilton and i thought i was ripping the other dude off...now i know better lol

dont see much wrong with the trade u made

- - - Updated - - -

I always liked the veto rule but I only like seeing it done where two gm's are colluding. ive seen worse trades in some of my leagues and i been on the receiving end of terrible trade and was due to me being inexperienced. my first ever trade in a pts keeper was my ovechkin, gaborik, brown for huberdeau, couturier, hamilton and i thought i was ripping the other dude off...now i know better lol

dont see much wrong with the trade u made

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by louba5 View Post
    Thanks for your returns guy, makes me more comfortable with the way I'm viewing things. Basically every trade is subject to a trade comittee, formed by the three oldest members of the league if i'm not mistaken. Per the rules, a majority vote will be enough to overturn a trade, so basically, yea, two people can overturn a trade, and that's what happened there as the third member recused himself. (said he would vote if needed, but he wasn't needed since both other gms said no trade).
    That system blows. My league had it for one year. Then after I took over as LM I got it changed to a straight majority vote of all league members. With a small cabal of self-interested GMs it is much more likely that vetoes happen for the wrong reason, ie "I dont want that guy I am competing with to make his team better." With a league-wide vote and instructions to only veto in case of collusion or franchise-destroying trade we pass about 95 percent of trades now.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for your answers guys, rep'd you all. Everyone I asked came to the same conclusion. Confirms that I'm not crazy.

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

The Great One

Thanks for your answers guys, rep'd you all. Everyone I asked came to the same conclusion. Confirms that I'm not crazy.
    You are crazy, IMO, for staying in a money league where two buddy-buddies get to veto trades on a whim...

Dobber Sports Master

Good trade for you. Bad trade to veto. I'm not a fan of the "veto" unless you get over 50% of the league. These small committees rarely work fairly and seem to constitute the vast majority of complaints about the veto rule on this forum. Whenever I see something about a trade unfairly vetoed, it comes down to a unilateral or two person decision that it came down to. Terrible sportsmanship.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Newbie

I notice no one has replied to the question you asked in the Subject line.

I'd recommend just adding some scrub you didn't want to the Vasilevsky side to make it a 2 for 2 deal (plus draft pick) and then send that back to the league. that usually makes everyone happy and you still get your players.

I'm assuming you've already done that by now? Did they "approve" it from on high?

Or have you been too busy arguing with the evil mysterious committee?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I went back to the other gm with some tweak, but now he says he shouldn't have accepted in the first place and won't trade his players unless he gets way better value back.

F:
    D:
    G:
    IR:

Dobber Sports Sage

I went back to the other gm with some tweak, but now he says he shouldn't have accepted in the first place and won't trade his players unless he gets way better value back.
    Any chance the owner you traded with went to the 3-man counsel and asked them to veto the trade?
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov