Thread: How to look up a backup goalie for a game

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default How to look up a backup goalie for a game

Sorry, non fantasy related but i have a goalie question that i cannot find the answer to and hoping someone here can help?

Last week the Bruins waived Kudobin on Jan. 4th. They played Edmonton on the 5th. Called up Zane McIntyre on the 6th. Unfortunatley I wasnt able to watch the game so my question is: Who was the backup goalie in that game? It's been bugging me for a week.

I cant find it anywhere. Box scores on NHL.com and other apps dont show who the backup was. Hockey-reference.com doesnt show. Google doesnt know. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think all teams have to dress 2 goalies for each game no? Was it an equipment manager? A fan? Please help. It's driving me nuts.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: How to look up a backup goalie for a game

Rask?
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Newbie

No, Rask played the whole game. Khudobin was waived the day before. Macyntire was called up the day after. Who was the backup on the bench during that game against the Oilers? Or where can i find a list of all active players for that game including the backup goaltender? Thx!

Dobber Sports Sage

That's a great point. I can't find the NHL game sheets anywhere. They'd have the info you're after but I can't find them on any site... bizarre.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a great point. I can't find the NHL game sheets anywhere. They'd have the info you're after but I can't find them on any site... bizarre.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Newbie

Actually I found it in the link below but it lists khudobin as the backup. How can that be if he was waived the day before? Are players allowed to suit up if they're on waivers? If so that must've been awkward .. Thank you for your help!

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...7/RO020578.HTM

Dobber Sports Icon

Players are definitely allowed to play until they are claimed by another team.

Derek Grant was told that he was heading to Nashville on waivers at the end of Buffalo's practice.

- - - Updated - - -

Players are definitely allowed to play until they are claimed by another team.

Derek Grant was told that he was heading to Nashville on waivers at the end of Buffalo's practice.

The Great One

Agree with chuckoupless here - also just because a player is waived doesn't mean they have been demoted (though in 99.9% of cases it does)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thank you guys! I was under the impression that a guy couldnt suit up after being waived in case another team bid on them and there being a chance of injury. I appreciate the info! I can sleep at night now.

Dobber Sports Superstar

A player is property of his team (even if he's been placed on waivers) until another team claims him.

Waiver claims are processed during the day (I believe 12 EST) so except for a few early weekend games a player who was waived would know before a game whether he was claimed or not.

It's not that uncommon in the case of backup goalies who struggle to see them get waived and still be the backup that night, it's likely pretty awkward though. The Oilers are currently facing the same thing with Gustavsson. He has been bad, the Oilers have to waive him before demoting him to the AHL, since no one claimed him and they expect Talbot to start the next 3 games he's still be serving as the backup. Waiving him is more of a pre-emptive move that gives the Oilers the flexibility to be able to demote him in exchange for one of their AHL goalies once Talbot needs a rest. The team has (I believe) 10 days to demote him after he clears waivers so they did it well in advance, and on an off-day in case he was claimed.

The Bruins probably hoped Khubodin wasn't claimed as they'd rather have him riding pine over a young player who is better served playing in the AHL.

- - - Updated - - -

A player is property of his team (even if he's been placed on waivers) until another team claims him.

Waiver claims are processed during the day (I believe 12 EST) so except for a few early weekend games a player who was waived would know before a game whether he was claimed or not.

It's not that uncommon in the case of backup goalies who struggle to see them get waived and still be the backup that night, it's likely pretty awkward though. The Oilers are currently facing the same thing with Gustavsson. He has been bad, the Oilers have to waive him before demoting him to the AHL, since no one claimed him and they expect Talbot to start the next 3 games he's still be serving as the backup. Waiving him is more of a pre-emptive move that gives the Oilers the flexibility to be able to demote him in exchange for one of their AHL goalies once Talbot needs a rest. The team has (I believe) 10 days to demote him after he clears waivers so they did it well in advance, and on an off-day in case he was claimed.

The Bruins probably hoped Khubodin wasn't claimed as they'd rather have him riding pine over a young player who is better served playing in the AHL.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    The team has (I believe) 10 days to demote him after he clears waivers so they did it well in advance, and on an off-day in case he was claimed.
    LawMan is correct in all of his statements except this one. A player does not need to be subjected to waivers again until he has spent 30 days or 10 games on an NHL roster.