Thread: The dillemma of Niemi & Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default The dillemma of Niemi & Lehtonen

Not expecting to be competing for the title this year, my original plan was to start shopping Niemi and Lehtonen around January by approaching GMs who want to make a push for the title. At the beginning of the season, I felt like they still have decent value as a handcuff because Dallas was going to win a bunch of games (we don't count SV% and GAA).

However...

We all know about their performances (or lack thereof) this year. For my league format and team in signature, I have the following questions:

- Is a Niemi/Lehtonen handcuff even worth a single Tier 2 or Tier 3 goalie? (I know the 'tiers' have been fiercely debated but you get the point)
    - Is it worth dropping one (or both?) of them at the end of the year? Otherwise I would struggle to drop 5 players in my roster.
    - What the eff do I do with these guys?

Ok maybe the last question is really the crux of what I'm asking. Help!
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: The dillemma of Niemi & Lehtonen

Had them both last year, Dallas was a better team, but the combo killed me. Not sure how big your league is but both on the waiver in mine. Cut ties and find a better goalie. Fid a struggling goalie and buy low. Vas, Schneider, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Had them both last year, Dallas was a better team, but the combo killed me. Not sure how big your league is but both on the waiver in mine. Cut ties and find a better goalie. Fid a struggling goalie and buy low. Vas, Schneider, etc.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Answering you in order:

1. The handcuff isn't worth a tier 3 guy as I see it, even in your league setup which maximizes their value. Yes, you can lock up the number of wins Dallas has, which is 17, but it requires 2 roster spots. There are 15 goalies who alone have 16+ wins this year so far.

2. I'd definitely be dropping one or both at the end of the year, if nothing changes. With Hellebuyck & Murray you are well positioned for the future.

3. The best thing I can think of is to try and trade them for one of the following types of returns:

Option 1: Fleury. This would be ideal, as it handcuffs Pittsburgh for you this year, and frees up a roster spot. You will likely have to give something extra, but could be worthwhile, depending on the pieces moving around.

Option 2: A disappointing starter who is somewhat entrenched on a poor team. Schneider on NJ fits here.

Option 3: Another disappointing tandem, but one where one at least has good rate stats, and you hope for upside where they may run with the job. The hope here is that one of those two has more value moving forward.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

in my my three leagues. Both Dallas goalies are usually available on the free agent list. I pick one of them up when I need a goalie game to reach my my weekly goalie minimum.

- - - Updated - - -

in my my three leagues. Both Dallas goalies are usually available on the free agent list. I pick one of them up when I need a goalie game to reach my my weekly goalie minimum.
    12 team - 12 keeper Dynasty league H2H
    --------------------------------------------------
    Stats : G A PTS +\- PPP SOG FOW Hits, Blocks, Wins GAA save % Shutout

LW: Gaudreau, Domi, RNH
    C: Mackinnon, Point, Getzlaf
    RW: Kane, Aho, Donato
    D: Hedmen, Subban, Krug, Nurse, Gustafsson

Goalie : Vasilevskiy, Bennington

Dobber Sports Titan

My hunch here is that Niemi starts seeing a few more games, and I think because of that, Lehtonen is droppable now.

- - - Updated - - -

My hunch here is that Niemi starts seeing a few more games, and I think because of that, Lehtonen is droppable now.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)