Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Oilers send Puljujarvi to AHL, waive Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Oilers send Puljujarvi to AHL, waive Gustavsson

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I will use the standings since that is a GM's #1 most important metric and he's killing it this season. Oiler fans know all too well that you can't just take good talent and surround it with garbage and have a good team. That's how they ended up with a decade of the worst hockey in existence.

However, in addition to him performing the actual most important part of his job very well (that of making the team better), I also like:

- Cam Talbot signing
    - Maroon trade
    - Mark Letestu signing
    - Andrej Sekera signing
    - Kassian trade
    - Benning and Caggiula pickups
    - Russell signing

That's a massive part of the current roster. And they are winning a lot. I love it.
    Does this mean you think Marc Bergevin is a great GM too? Because his team was winning a lot. And then Price got injured and his team was no different than any other bubble playoff team at best.

We've already seen the Oilers without McDavid last season, so if you truly think these moves make him a good GM I suppose we'll have to wait for another McDavid injury to see if they keep winning a lot.

Dobber Sports Deity

At the end of the day, the Oilers are doing better this year than any other year since they went to the Cup in 2006. That's what Oilers fans care about. There's no such thing as a perfect GM and every one will make mistakes. He knew he had to make changes to what he inherited so he's going to win some and lose some. I am fine with that.

Oiler haters will continue to find the bad and look past the good. It's like listening to the opposition party in politics. Groan.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I think Chiarelli's biggest signing was Todd McLellan as head coach. This team was in dire need of some bench experience.

I don't like the Reinhart trade.
    Talbot trade was great. Only a 2nd and third? And the signing afterwards was great too.
    Sekera signing was meh to bad.
    I do like the Klefbom signing. Im a fan of these long term low cap deals. If it works it pays off huge. It's what I wan the Leafs do do with all of their young players.
    Convince/signed Ellis and Caggiula for free. Ellis is doing better than Brossoit in Bakersfield, mind you.
    Kassian on a 1 year deal. Why not.
    Clendening waiver pickup didn't work out but he tried.
    Hall-Larsson deal. Think what you want. Still don't like it for the Oilers. Larsson must improve a lot more for me to change my opinion.
    Let Gryba walk, only to sign him to a cheaper deal.
    Signed Gustavsson. Didn't work out. No big deal.
    Signed Lucic for way to much at way to long. But it's hard to bring UFA's to Edmonton.
    Got Russell cheap.
    Should have traded Yakupov last year. Could have at least gotten something!

More good than bad in there.

His best moves Id say:

1) McLellan
    2) Talbot
    3) Lucic
    4) Hall-Larsson

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Oiler haters will continue to find the bad and look past the good. It's like listening to the opposition party in politics. Groan.
    Oiler homers will continue to find the good and look past the bad.

works both ways

Dobber Sports Deity

Not at all. I just told you that he's made some bad deals. It happens. I am not blind to the bad but I dont overlook the good to simply see the bad.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    Does this mean you think Marc Bergevin is a great GM too? Because his team was winning a lot. And then Price got injured and his team was no different than any other bubble playoff team at best.

We've already seen the Oilers without McDavid last season, so if you truly think these moves make him a good GM I suppose we'll have to wait for another McDavid injury to see if they keep winning a lot.
    I don't even know that I would call Chiarelli a great GM, but I do think he has done a good job so far and the results are showing. I don't think he's done a perfect job, and he has some real head scratchers as well, but as I already said earlier in this thread, NHL GMs are in their positions because they are much smarter than I am, and sometimes the strange moves (and I mentioned Montreal specifically) bear solid results.

You're right, we did already see the Oilers with McDavid last season. They were utter garbage then as well. Completely different from this season. Wonder what changed

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I think Chiarelli's biggest signing was Todd McLellan as head coach. This team was in dire need of some bench experience.

I don't like the Reinhart trade.
    Talbot trade was great. Only a 2nd and third? And the signing afterwards was great too.
    Sekera signing was meh to bad.
    I do like the Klefbom signing. Im a fan of these long term low cap deals. If it works it pays off huge. It's what I wan the Leafs do do with all of their young players.
    Convince/signed Ellis and Caggiula for free. Ellis is doing better than Brossoit in Bakersfield, mind you.
    Kassian on a 1 year deal. Why not.
    Clendening waiver pickup didn't work out but he tried.
    Hall-Larsson deal. Think what you want. Still don't like it for the Oilers. Larsson must improve a lot more for me to change my opinion.
    Let Gryba walk, only to sign him to a cheaper deal.
    Signed Gustavsson. Didn't work out. No big deal.
    Signed Lucic for way to much at way to long. But it's hard to bring UFA's to Edmonton.
    Got Russell cheap.
    Should have traded Yakupov last year. Could have at least gotten something!

More good than bad in there.

His best moves Id say:

1) McLellan
    2) Talbot
    3) Lucic
    4) Hall-Larsson
    Weird that you thrashed the Lucic signing and Larsson trade, yet you have them as the 3rd and 4th best moves. So does that mean he's only made two good moves? Just kidding.

Lucic said himself that he signed with Edmonton because of McDavid. It shouldn't be too difficult to sign UFAs there anymore when you have the 2nd best player in the world who is only 20 years old. Players will want to play with him, just like Lucic. That means they shouldn't need to throw crazy term on players anymore.

Adding Caggiula, Benning and Ellis for free, those were solid depth moves. Getting Kassian's life in order and having him back in the NHL, that's another solid depth move. Signing Russel to a good 1-year contract, another good move. Klefbom's contract is a beauty. Talbot is a solid goalie signed to a good contract (not too long which is key with goalies). So yes, lots of good moves in there.

Sekera's contract is an anchor for the Oilers, the same will be said about Lucic real soon. Reinhart trade will be seen as one of the worst trades of the past few years (definitely not as bad as Forsberg for Erat but up there on the list). In comparison, wasting an RFA year from Puljujarvi is just a minor mistake.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Weird that you thrashed the Lucic signing and Larsson trade, yet you have them as the 3rd and 4th best moves. So does that mean he's only made two good moves? Just kidding.

Lucic said himself that he signed with Edmonton because of McDavid. It shouldn't be too difficult to sign UFAs there anymore when you have the 2nd best player in the world who is only 20 years old. Players will want to play with him, just like Lucic. That means they shouldn't need to throw crazy term on players anymore.

Adding Caggiula, Benning and Ellis for free, those were solid depth moves. Getting Kassian's life in order and having him back in the NHL, that's another solid depth move. Signing Russel to a good 1-year contract, another good move. Klefbom's contract is a beauty. Talbot is a solid goalie signed to a good contract (not too long which is key with goalies). So yes, lots of good moves in there.

Sekera's contract is an anchor for the Oilers, the same will be said about Lucic real soon. Reinhart trade will be seen as one of the worst trades of the past few years (definitely not as bad as Forsberg for Erat but up there on the list). In comparison, wasting an RFA year from Puljujarvi is just a minor mistake.
    Pretty balanced response, even if I may not agree totally on the specifics. So, like many other GMs in the league, he has made some good moves, and made some bad moves, but the team is winning hockey games. Sounds like a guy doing his job to me.

Dobber Sports Pro

The people who chirp A.sekera, might as well be holding a neon sign above there heads that reads "I dont watch the games!"
    He's been our best dmen since the day he got here. I dont know if that continues thru the entire contract, I left my crystal ball at work, but its been good so far.

- - - Updated - - -

The people who chirp A.sekera, might as well be holding a neon sign above there heads that reads "I dont watch the games!"
    He's been our best dmen since the day he got here. I dont know if that continues thru the entire contract, I left my crystal ball at work, but its been good so far.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Deity

Considering he was signed as a UFA on July 1st, looking at the other D options who were available during the silly season, he's been a solid signing. The next best option that off-season for Dmen was Paul Martin. I wonder if the Oilers would have been better off with him instead. Unlikely.

The Oilers were obviously in desperate need for a Dman that off-season and signing the best one available to a somewhat reasonable UFA contract was pretty fair IMO. He's not a true #1 per se, but as I say, there were no options that UFA season. It's not like the Oilers were the only vying for his services and back then the Oilers weren't exactly a team FA's wanted to go to.

I do agree with you that those who think Sekera is an "anchor" dont watch a lot of Oilers games. Those are the ones who are simply looking at the numbers.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Finally some measured responses in this thread. The Reinhart deal is bad, I actually really hate the Gusto signing as well, it was the 1st day of free agency and their were several better options out there, getting a competent backup should not be that hard in the NHL.

One major plus was trading for Maroon. He is currently playing top-line and doing everything Lucic was supposed to, oh and he leads the team in goals with 18 and he's signed for another 1.5 seasons with the Ducks retaining salary.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally some measured responses in this thread. The Reinhart deal is bad, I actually really hate the Gusto signing as well, it was the 1st day of free agency and their were several better options out there, getting a competent backup should not be that hard in the NHL.

One major plus was trading for Maroon. He is currently playing top-line and doing everything Lucic was supposed to, oh and he leads the team in goals with 18 and he's signed for another 1.5 seasons with the Ducks retaining salary.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Been watching a lot of late games this year and catch a lot of the Oilers and I can vouch for this, donions.

Sekera is so underratedly good. He does all the small things right, sneaks up on the attack quite a lot and is rarely, if ever, out of position when the play goes back the other way. He is quietly quite good (meant to do that).

I've always liked him.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Ninja

He struggled a bit when he first arrived with some atrocious giveaways and passes, but he's been really, really good this season for sure. The defense as a whole is so much better than anything the Oilers have had since their Cup run. Though since the team has McDavid they don't actually need other players on the ice since he's the only one doing anything right?

The Great One

He's been our best dmen since the day he got here.
    In all fairness, that doesn't say much.

I don't have a crystal ball either, but I'd be willing to bet that contract doesn't look great in a couple years.

I could be wrong but I like my chances.

Dobber Sports Deity

Everyone says the Reinhart deal was bad, but I am not sure how anyone can say anything about that deal. The Oilers dealt the 16th (Barzal) and 33rd pick (Mitchell Stephens) to the Islanders for Reinhart.

Can anyone tell me what Barzal and Stephens have done in the NHL career to this point that is any better than what Reinhart has done? The Oilers and Islanders aren't playing fantasy hockey. Who the hell are any of us to know if Barzal or Stephens will turn out at all in the NHL?

We can all assume value based on their Jr careers but who really knows what either of those kids will be in the NHL, where it really counts. I am not going to call that deal a bust until I see what they actually traded away in NHL value, not just in assumed name value.

In perceived value, it "looks" bad on paper but the game isn't played on paper. I've seen my fair share of quality Jr prospects not be able to fulfill their Jr success at the NHL level (Griffin Reinhart is a name that comes to mind).

Devils advocate.