Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Laine helped off after massive hit

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Laine helped off after massive hit

Agreed, hf. It's a shame that this hit has marred what could have been a truly special rookie season (I'm assuming it's a relatively serious concussion, but hopefully not). I'd loved to have seen him pot 40+ goals, maybe even topping 50. What he's done through 42 games as an 18 year old is pretty amazing.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Also surprising from this message board are the comments that Schiefele should have done something else besides chasing McCabe or should receive a suspension for starting the "brawl" after the hit (media over-selling the post-hit events if anything).

This is a sport played by highly competitive, loyal, large, and strong men. If your teammate, who is possibly the best player on the team, has his clocked cleaned on a hit (clean or not) and you just skate around waiting for the next face-off then I doubt you have what it takes to be playing in the NHL.

Let's put it this way: had Lucic been an Oiler last season and he was on the ice during Manning's hit on McDavid into the end boards he likely would have caved Manning's head in and every body would have said "got to protect the superstars".

I think staged fights have no place in hockey. But no one should be surprised or propose to condemn a guy in this league when he reacts to on-ice violence (whether it occurs within the rules or not) with violence.

Here's hoping the concussion is just a blip in the very early stages of what looks to be long and a fantastic career.

- - - Updated - - -

Also surprising from this message board are the comments that Schiefele should have done something else besides chasing McCabe or should receive a suspension for starting the "brawl" after the hit (media over-selling the post-hit events if anything).

This is a sport played by highly competitive, loyal, large, and strong men. If your teammate, who is possibly the best player on the team, has his clocked cleaned on a hit (clean or not) and you just skate around waiting for the next face-off then I doubt you have what it takes to be playing in the NHL.

Let's put it this way: had Lucic been an Oiler last season and he was on the ice during Manning's hit on McDavid into the end boards he likely would have caved Manning's head in and every body would have said "got to protect the superstars".

I think staged fights have no place in hockey. But no one should be surprised or propose to condemn a guy in this league when he reacts to on-ice violence (whether it occurs within the rules or not) with violence.

Here's hoping the concussion is just a blip in the very early stages of what looks to be long and a fantastic career.
    WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER! (2006, 2011, 2015)
    Yahoo! Limited Keeper (Keep 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 1D, 1G annually; no player is permitted to be protected as a keeper for a period longer than three consecutive years) 10-team H2H League/Daily Starts (# in brackets)
    Centre (2): Scheifele, Seguin, Toews
    Right Wing (2): Laine (LW/RW) Lindholm (C/RW), Gallagher
    Left Wing (2): Tkachuk, Mantha (LW/RW), Lee, Gusev
    Defense (4): Ristolainen, Doughty, Gustafsson, Gostisbehere, Byfuglien
    Utility (1): Haula (C/LW)
    Goalie (2): Andersen, Dubnyk, Raanta
    IR:
    Skater Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, PIMS, SOG, FOW, Hits, BKS
    Goalie Stats: W, SV%, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Sage

My question is who is going to get bumped up to replace him in the short-term? WPG has an awesome H2H schedule next week with games on M-W-F and I was really looking forward to having Laine in there for it. Is it going to be Perrault, Armia, someone else, who is going to get his PP time?

Dobber Sports Stud

Big hits happen all the time in the NFL and there are no brawls (well very very few) after any of them. They are also highly competitve, loyal, large, and strong men.

- - - Updated - - -

Big hits happen all the time in the NFL and there are no brawls (well very very few) after any of them. They are also highly competitve, loyal, large, and strong men.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Stafford will get the 5-on-5 time. Armia will get the PP time as per this:

https://twitter.com/NHLJets/status/818161648842067968

- - - Updated - - -

Stafford will get the 5-on-5 time. Armia will get the PP time as per this:

https://twitter.com/NHLJets/status/818161648842067968
    Yahoo! Limited Keeper (Keep 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 1D, 1G annually; no player is permitted to be protected as a keeper for a period longer than three consecutive years) 10-team H2H League/Daily Starts (# in brackets)
    IR:

Dobber Sports Sage

Great find mark! Have 2 pickups left and already have this week in the bag so I can use them on these guys and get a head start on my opponent for next week. Love it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I've had this debate with buddies before and, frankly, there's no winning argument. But one guy put it very well recently: the point of football is to keep the ball from breaking the plane of the goal line. In that respect it's very similar to hockey because you want to keep the opponent from putting the puck over the goal line.

What's fundamentally different between the two sports is the players' control of the object that has to cross the goal line and the speed of the game.

In football, the ball is secured and carried by the ball carrier. There is no way of stopping that player but to apply force against his person. It's a fundamental premise of football.

The puck, in comparison, isn't secured but rests on the end of a tool (the stick) and each player carries the same tool. To separate the player's stick from the puck does not fundamentally require hitting the player; the stick can be used to knock the puck of the puck-carrier's stick. Furthermore, as a "continuous play" game, there are moments when players are calling a "truce" in order to leave the ice to change shifts. When the ball is "in play" in football, it's basically "war" between the two teams.

These differences contribute to far higher numbers of collisions and hits in football, thereby "normalizing" the behaviour. Retaliation typically doesn't occur because the players know violent collisions happen nearly every 30 seconds. Retaliation in hockey occurs in response to something that is "not normal" like the giant body check which momentarily changes the behaviour on the ice.

Seems convincing to me.

Also - full disclosure - I'm a huge Jets fan. :P
    IR:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hopefully Laine has a quick recovery and if it was up to me I would have Armia take his spot on the top line while he is out. Armia has been a beast out there the last few games and I think he would rack up some serious point if he traded in Lowry and Matthias for Scheifele and Ehlers.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Stud

@markpiel - I believe the NFL player would jump someone if the hit was cheap and illegal, if it was a legit hit they shake it off and tell there team mate to keep their head up.
    If the NHL was serious they would suspend Scheifele for 10 games.

- - - Updated - - -

@markpiel - I believe the NFL player would jump someone if the hit was cheap and illegal, if it was a legit hit they shake it off and tell there team mate to keep their head up.
    If the NHL was serious they would suspend Scheifele for 10 games.

Maine Moose 2021-2022

I guess you can believe what you want, GinFizz. Comparing to two sports is really an apples to oranges exercise.

The suggestion that Schiefele should be suspended for 10 games is ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you can believe what you want, GinFizz. Comparing to two sports is really an apples to oranges exercise.

The suggestion that Schiefele should be suspended for 10 games is ridiculous.
    IR:

Dobber Sports Stud

call the suspension what you want but IF they wanted to clean the game up that would do it. We both know it wont be done.

- - - Updated - - -

call the suspension what you want but IF they wanted to clean the game up that would do it. We both know it wont be done.

Maine Moose 2021-2022

Dobber Sports Genius

Gin, if they wanted to clean the game up, they'd abolish hits like that, but that won't be done. Laine, a star player, will be out for a while. What Scheifele did in response was a small blip in comparison.

Not saying the hit was illegal, nor that they *should* make those hits illegal necessarily, but if making the game 'safer' is the end goal, the hit was worse than the response. Laine was clearly vulnerable, and 'clean' hits like that can and have ended (and compromised) promising careers far too soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Gin, if they wanted to clean the game up, they'd abolish hits like that, but that won't be done. Laine, a star player, will be out for a while. What Scheifele did in response was a small blip in comparison.

Not saying the hit was illegal, nor that they *should* make those hits illegal necessarily, but if making the game 'safer' is the end goal, the hit was worse than the response. Laine was clearly vulnerable, and 'clean' hits like that can and have ended (and compromised) promising careers far too soon.

Dobber Sports Stud

thats what im saying. The way to abolish it is by levying a very hefty suspension.

- - - Updated - - -

thats what im saying. The way to abolish it is by levying a very hefty suspension.

Maine Moose 2021-2022

Dobber Sports Icon

Yay, who want to see Laine play anyways?

McCabe draws them in, sellouts whenever the Sabres come to town.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Star

When I clicked on this thread I really didn't expect to see people suggesting these types of hits should be somehow taken out of the game. Good lord, it's either a contact sport or it isn't.