Thread: Is Ronda Rousey done?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Is Ronda Rousey done?

Has anybody else in any sport that you can think of, have as explosive a start, followed by a shocking fall from grace, as Ronda Rousey?

For the first 12 fights of hers, I would almost call her "invincible". Her last 2 fights, she has looked shockingly bad. Her Judo is world class. Her armbar and armbar setup are in among the best in the world. I guess, in hindsight, it's easy to see that glaring holes in her striking game have always been there.

For me, this really demonstrates how much of a gap there was in women's MMA when she burst onto the scene, from "Best" to "Good". That gap is closing, and closing quickly. As we have known for quite some time in the MMA world, you have to be well-rounded. Being the best striker, or wrestler, or ju-jitsu person in the world, isn't enough anymore...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Is Ronda Rousey done?

I think she's done and she knows it. Like many, her personal life got bigger than her professional one and she lost her focus. The problem for her is that many around her were focused on beating her and she wasn't focused on not losing. She was too busy focusing on doing TV and photo shoots.

Put a fork in her.

- - - Updated - - -

I think she's done and she knows it. Like many, her personal life got bigger than her professional one and she lost her focus. The problem for her is that many around her were focused on beating her and she wasn't focused on not losing. She was too busy focusing on doing TV and photo shoots.

Put a fork in her.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'm a peripheral fan of MMA. I did catch her fight on Friday and thought that she seemed more muscular than she used to be. I'm thinking she was probably well prepared for the ground game but it just never got there. Did she maybe over train?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Has anybody else in any sport that you can think of, have as explosive a start, followed by a shocking fall from grace, as Ronda Rousey?
    Does Chuck Lidell count? He was unbeatable for a while then one shot and he was never the same.

That Arlofsky(?) guy? Heavy weight that did well to start then poof, KO after KO

Jon Jones has had a pretty big fall too.
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Ninja

She's as done as Patrick Marleau...

I think she has the talent to be a force still (not the best, but competitive), but her coach is terrible. She needs to join a real camp that will help her improve on weaknesses and help her put together game plans.

Having said that, she's obviously as mentally fragile as Letang is physically, and when you're mentally weak in MMA you're done before you've even set foot in the octagon.

- - - Updated - - -

She's as done as Patrick Marleau...

I think she has the talent to be a force still (not the best, but competitive), but her coach is terrible. She needs to join a real camp that will help her improve on weaknesses and help her put together game plans.

Having said that, she's obviously as mentally fragile as Letang is physically, and when you're mentally weak in MMA you're done before you've even set foot in the octagon.

Dobber Sports Ace

I would say that she could probably do well against the other/regular/non-super-human females in MMA, but stands no chance against Nunes. Nunes is just so much better than the others right now, it's not even funny. She fights likes a man, and that's no slight against women.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Administrator

She's in a weird spot. She can retire and do movies but the way she lost her last two fights it hurts her marketability.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

a WWE career is in the plan? good money and less risk of being hurt...
    Keeper's league, points only, 24 teams league Skaters: 1 pt for goal and 1 pt for assist, Goalie, 2 pts for win, + 2 pts for SO

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by JHouly View Post
    a WWE career is in the plan? good money and less risk of being hurt...
    They probably wouldn't want her after she was used as a punching bag the last two fights

Dobber Sports Wizard

Reminds me of Mike Tyson after he started believing no one could touch him and he didn't even need to train for his fights. Just watched the documentary "Tyson" from Netflix, highly recommended.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think she's toast. I'd tend to agree that she seems mentally fragile. I don't think she has a comeback in her.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Star

An interesting point from an article from The Bleacher Report (As much as I dislike "The Bleacher Report...)

Much of the criticism and vile spewed about Rousey following the Holm loss, and what's come so far after Nunes, is what happens when stunning failure collides with a reputation for dominance in the age of social media. People are haters, and Rousey was a ripe target.
    Here is the full article, titled "Was Ronda Rousey Ever that good to begin with?"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial

Rylant

- - - Updated - - -

An interesting point from an article from The Bleacher Report (As much as I dislike "The Bleacher Report...)

Much of the criticism and vile spewed about Rousey following the Holm loss, and what's come so far after Nunes, is what happens when stunning failure collides with a reputation for dominance in the age of social media. People are haters, and Rousey was a ripe target.
    Here is the full article, titled "Was Ronda Rousey Ever that good to begin with?"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial

Rylant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

she'll be joining mcgregor in the WWE soon enough

Dobber Sports Ninja

For some reason I can't quote eyemissgilmour, but I completely agree when he says "There's a delicate balance between confidence and thinking you're invincible."

I couldn't figure out why she seemed so angry. Wasted energy. I have a feeling that's what she thinks comes across as "focused". She should have spent more time thinking about defending getting punched in the face.

I hope she's not done in the UFC, but if she stays, she'll likely have to dump her coach(es)/trainer(s).

- - - Updated - - -

For some reason I can't quote eyemissgilmour, but I completely agree when he says "There's a delicate balance between confidence and thinking you're invincible."

I couldn't figure out why she seemed so angry. Wasted energy. I have a feeling that's what she thinks comes across as "focused". She should have spent more time thinking about defending getting punched in the face.

I hope she's not done in the UFC, but if she stays, she'll likely have to dump her coach(es)/trainer(s).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Banned

Everything has an end and it has come for Rousey.