Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
As somebody that owns Halak & Lehtonen/Niemi in a few too many leagues - I give this thread a thumbs-up. (Seriously)
A few teams do make trades where they just send each other their garbage and see if the garbage in another location turns into something useful - like manure.

A couple years ago I remember the Stefan Elliott for Brandon Gormley swap between Arizona & Colorado.
Interestingly, both of those guys continued to be garbage... with Elliott flipped to Nashville for nothing and Gormley let walk in summer 2016 (he signed with NJ).
Elliott is now in Russia, Gormley is -11 with Albany.

Perhaps the big hang up is that NYI is on the "no trade" list for both DAL goalies.
IDK? (but I do know I'm tired of feeling ashamed by starting my Dallas Goalies - LOL)
The difference being that NYI already have 2 goalies and don't want a third. That's half the problem with Halak. There's a legitimate path for Halak to help Dallas. There is no avenue for Niemi to help NYI. And he costs more money.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
A more recent example of "garbage" for "garbage" is Perron for Hagelin.
Even then, Pittsburgh had to throw in Clendening, who was at least considered a B- prospect at the time.