Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maxim Shalunov - KHL - CHI prospect

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Maxim Shalunov - KHL - CHI prospect

With the yearly Hawks purge and the articles that come with it I was forced to pick up Shalunov before someone else heard about him. Don't you hate it when you have an ace up your sleeve and some writer comes along and tells everyone else about it?

Well anyways, Maxim Shalunov was drafted by the Blackhawks in the 2011 draft - 4th round 109th overall. His stats in the KHL this season: 34GP 17G 15A 32 Points

He has been referred to as 'the next Panarin'.

He is 6'4'' and 212 lbs and is a shooting machine.

It states on Fantrax that he signed for another two years in the KHL but in other articles it states that Stan Bowman wants him to come over soon.

Does anyone else have any information regarding his contract situation?

Here is some more information about him:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=58566

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016...draft-contract
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Maxim Shalunov - KHL - CHI prospect

Definitely not the "next Panarin", you can forget that right away. He's older than Panarin was, and his stats are nowhere near Panarin's.

Someone like Panarin comes almost out of nowhere only like once a decade. Shalunov could become an NHL player but he's not the "next Panarin".

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely not the "next Panarin", you can forget that right away. He's older than Panarin was, and his stats are nowhere near Panarin's.

Someone like Panarin comes almost out of nowhere only like once a decade. Shalunov could become an NHL player but he's not the "next Panarin".

Dobber Sports Sage

His game is nothing like Panarin. He is more of a straight ahead power forward. I have read that his KHL team will not make the playoffs so unless he is traded to a playoff team, there is a chance he could sign and play this season for the Hawks. I think there is a good chance that he plays for Chicago next season.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ace

One look at his videos and it's easy to see that their style of playing the game is very different. I imagine that the moniker came about mostly for the common situation that they find themselves in - having come over after some success in the KHL (If he comes over, obviously).

He will come cheap and might have some success with the Hawks. It might take some growing pains but his shot looks pretty good. He just might have an opportunity to play with some good players and could surprise some.

- - - Updated - - -

One look at his videos and it's easy to see that their style of playing the game is very different. I imagine that the moniker came about mostly for the common situation that they find themselves in - having come over after some success in the KHL (If he comes over, obviously).

He will come cheap and might have some success with the Hawks. It might take some growing pains but his shot looks pretty good. He just might have an opportunity to play with some good players and could surprise some.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Monster

I would drop him in all your leagues

...especially salary cap leagues

but in all seriousness, i might have to pick him up in my other money league, last year you gave me some pointers on players to get and it has sure helped me

- - - Updated - - -

I would drop him in all your leagues

...especially salary cap leagues

but in all seriousness, i might have to pick him up in my other money league, last year you gave me some pointers on players to get and it has sure helped me

Dobber Sports Monster

So the KHL season is almost finished and word is he might be joining the hawks for a Stanley Cup run. Is he worth a pickup in a league 15 teams deep, 24 player roster, top 12 forwards, top 4 d, top 1 goalie? is he a high end prospect? potential?

Dobber Sports Initiate

I havent seen him but is he maybe more of a comparable to a Soderberg?
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer

Dobber Sports Wizard

Not a high end prospect. He will get some extra hype in fantasy hockey leagues because people can just add him for free, just like NCAA free agents usually do. He's worth picking up in very deep leagues but his NHL upside is a complete mystery. He just turned 24 today, and his KHL numbers are good but not great. Expecting anything above 60 points as his ultimate upside is living in a dream world in my opinion. More realistic upside could be 25-25-50.

Dobber Sports Jedi

If I'm not mistaken, similar to Zaitsev, KHL contracts run until May 1. So even if the season ends, would he not be under contract until that date and unable to come over and play for Chi? Or would there be buy-out options for the last couple months?

I have a feeling we won't see him in the NHL until Sept.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Not a high end prospect. He will get some extra hype in fantasy hockey leagues because people can just add him for free, just like NCAA free agents usually do. He's worth picking up in very deep leagues but his NHL upside is a complete mystery. He just turned 24 today, and his KHL numbers are good but not great. Expecting anything above 60 points as his ultimate upside is living in a dream world in my opinion. More realistic upside could be 25-25-50.
    That's a high end prospect's numbers. Which he probably isn't.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, similar to Zaitsev, KHL contracts run until May 1. So even if the season ends, would he not be under contract until that date and unable to come over and play for Chi? Or would there be buy-out options for the last couple months?

I have a feeling we won't see him in the NHL until Sept.
    I think there's a difference if the player's rights are owned by NHL team or if he's UFA like Zaitsev. I still haven't found anything official that Chicago owns the rights of Shalunov but everyone seems to assume so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    That's a high end prospect's numbers. Which he probably isn't.
    Please notice that I spoke about upside. Most players don't reach their upside, so realistic expectations should be kept lower than what player's upside is. If players like Henrique, Soderberg, Boedker and Nielsen were able to hit 50 points last year, I wouldn't be ready to discount too many from reaching that number if things go perfectly or close to it. Shalunov does have some skill after all, so I wouldn't say it's impossible for him to reach that group of players one day.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Russian newspaper Sport-Express is reporting that Shalunov (along with two other players from his team) is moving to CSKA Moskva for next season. CSKA is the team that just won KHL regular season and they have loads of money to spend. This likely means Shalunov has no desire to play in the NHL which is a shame because I think he could have been a solid middle-six forward in the NHL. Of course nothing is confirmed as of yet but this site has been pretty accurate with their stories before.

I don't understand the language but a Finnish hockey site translated the article to Finnish. Here's the original article translated to English with Google translate:

As the "SE", the four leading hitters "Siberia" - Maxim Shalunov , Sergey Shumakov , Konstantin Okulov and Stepan Sannikov - is likely to leave the club in the offseason Novosibirsk. According to our data, and Shalunov Shumakov is likely to continue his career in CSKA , who won the fight for the two forwards in the Russian national team at the SKA .

It is also a high probability of transition to the Moscow club and a 21-year-old striker Okulov. It is likely that as compensation for "Siberia" will have several young players from CSKA system. But Sannikov is unlikely to be the company to its partners: the main contender for it is another army club - from St. Petersburg. It should be noted that the contracts Shumakova Shalunova Okulov and with the "Siberia" come to an end in April 2017, after which each of them will receive the status of restricted free agent. Sannikov's contract with the Novosibirsk team operates a year - until April 2018.
    Link to article: http://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/k...1220105/?ua=dt

Dobber Sports Sage

Based on what Shalunov's agent said this week it does not seem likely that he will be joining the Blackhawks this season. Their season is over so he could sign and play this season.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Based on what Shalunov's agent said this week it does not seem likely that he will be joining the Blackhawks this season. Their season is over so he could sign and play this season.
    Do you mean the comment that Shalunov and Shumakov want to continue playing together, and that both want to continue playing in the KHL and play at the Olympics? At least that was the comment I read today. But he did also mention that both have received offers from the NHL and it's possible they move to the NHL. But they definitely want to play on the same team.

What was weird is how he said that both have received NHL offers. So more than one offer. I'm still wondering if the Blackhawks own Shalunov's rights or not.

Dobber Sports Deity

ICYMI

https://theathletic.com/42593/2017/0...s-this-season/

It looks like the Blackhawks will have to wait at least another season for Maxim Shalunov.

Shalunov will not be able to join the Blackhawks this season because his current KHL team Sibir Novosibirsk is unwilling to release him from his contract, Shalunov’s agent Shumi Babaev said on Tuesday. Sibir Novosibirsk’s season is over, but Shalunov’s contract officially runs until April 30.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."