Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For the Love of Lehner!!

Dobber Sports Sage

Default For the Love of Lehner!!

Where is the love for this young stud? He's got all the talent, tools and is primed for success on a budding Buffalo squad.

Ok, so he's suffered a fair share of injuries but ranked 28th overall (Tier 3 ) on the top 100 goalies list? Come on. This is extremely surprising considering Goaliepost even notes:
    Reminder - these are for keeper leagues.
    How in the hell are old, washed-up/never has beens like Chad Johnson, Craig Anderson, and Jacob Markstrom ranked higher than him?

Lehner is easily a top 20 keeper league tendy in my books. Possible argument for a top 10 spot if we're talking 3-4 years down the road.

Been a while since I've signed in on here but I needed to get this one off my chest.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: For the Love of Lehner!!

I also feel he can become a top 15 goaltender, he clearly has the talent to. I think people underate him because he's injury prone an plays for a bad team.
    Talent only, he's a good goalie (just check his actual stats with ? so-so BUF team).

- - - Updated - - -

I also feel he can become a top 15 goaltender, he clearly has the talent to. I think people underate him because he's injury prone an plays for a bad team.
    Talent only, he's a good goalie (just check his actual stats with ? so-so BUF team).
    10 teams keeper, keep 23, draft 5
    Weekly lineup (10FW, 5D, 2G) with NHL salary cap
    Goal (1pt); Assist (1); Win (2); SO (1)

FW : J.Tavares, M.Stone, S.Aho, C.Giroux, E.Kuznetsov, V.Tarasenko, M.Tkachuk, B.Marchand, T.Meier, J.Huberdeau, M.Hoffman, N. Gusev, E. Staal, H.Borgstrom, V.Kravtsov, J.Veleno, E.Tolvanen, C.Keller, M.Barzal, J.Roberston, A.DeBrincat, V.Podkolzin, G.Denisenko, A.Kaliyev

D : K.Yandle, S.Theodore, M.Rielly, O.Klefbom, R.Josi, R.Pulock, J.Walman, H.Jokiharju, C.Makar, N.Hagues

G : MA.Fleury, J.Gibson, C.Hellebuyk, E.Merzlikins, F.Gustavson, I.Sorokin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Imho, robin sucks. Send have up on him long ago. I had him theee years ago and peoples still waiting on him. i like Ulmark to take over long term. The other homilies you named are def higher on the rank then lehner. I would not pick him up on waivers myself as I just don't honk he is a good natural goalie. He just big box kneeing.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for bad auto filling on my reply.

Banned

Probably gets no love because he hasn't been good this year? I've seen a lot of buffalo fans who are very down on him.

Hard to take you seriously if you lump Craig Anderson in with Chad Johnson and Jakob Markstrom. Nobody would take Lehrer over Anderson for medium term. Did you not see what Anderson was doing this year, on a much better team?

- - - Updated - - -

Probably gets no love because he hasn't been good this year? I've seen a lot of buffalo fans who are very down on him.

Hard to take you seriously if you lump Craig Anderson in with Chad Johnson and Jakob Markstrom. Nobody would take Lehrer over Anderson for medium term. Did you not see what Anderson was doing this year, on a much better team?

Dobber Sports Sage

What's so bad about his stats??? They are the exact same as Craig Anderson's... who is "on a much better team" and is also 2 years away from retirement, hence my (and Goalieposts) "lumping" of his name along with the other names listed above.

Other then Wins (a team stat) Lehner in the top 10 (for goalies with 20+ GP) for save percentage (the one true talent telling goalie stat) which is pretty damn good considering the inexperienced blue line he has in front of him (i.e. gap control, slot coverage, rebound clearing, breakout, etc. which are all likely poor compared to better teams with avg goalies). His stats will only improve as the team gets more experience and improves with time.
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    G

Banned

Lehner has been terrible in shootouts, has no shutouts, and has an 8-10-5 record. Fantasy hockey goalies are usually always abou the team in front of him, so the team stats matter a lot. Buffalo is a bad team and I don't see them getting better in the next few years in this conference.

So no, I don't see 12-6-1, 2.46 GAA, 924 sv%, 3 shutouts the same as 8-10-5, 2.47 GAA, 922 sv%, 0 shutouts. One of those is great for fantasy, the other isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Lehner has been terrible in shootouts, has no shutouts, and has an 8-10-5 record. Fantasy hockey goalies are usually always abou the team in front of him, so the team stats matter a lot. Buffalo is a bad team and I don't see them getting better in the next few years in this conference.

So no, I don't see 12-6-1, 2.46 GAA, 924 sv%, 3 shutouts the same as 8-10-5, 2.47 GAA, 922 sv%, 0 shutouts. One of those is great for fantasy, the other isn't.

Banned

You called Craig anderson washed up/never has been. That comment made no sense. He isn't comparable to chad johnson or Jakob markstrom at all.

I agree with you that lehner should be over those two no question.

- - - Updated - - -

You called Craig anderson washed up/never has been. That comment made no sense. He isn't comparable to chad johnson or Jakob markstrom at all.

I agree with you that lehner should be over those two no question.

Dobber Sports Sage

Maybe it's just me but I'd take the (nine years) younger goalie with identical stats (other than 4 less wins, 3 less shutouts... again, a team stat) on a team primed for long-term success in a keeper/dynasty league any day of the week.

At least we can agree he deserves to be placed above Chad Johnson. Right?... Right!?
    RW
    D
    G

Banned

I did agree with that lol

Administrator

I'm sensing a biased keeper league owner here. A #1 goalie's job is to be available every night and keep up this high level of play. Lehner's stats are solid but when has he ever played a lot of games? That's a pretty important piece of the puzzle missing when the rankings are based (I think?) on potential to earn wins. Plus Buffalo is a mess right now.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Banned

But that's how often people lose in keepers. Taking the younger asset and what's supposed to be a great team or whatever. Buffalo has not lived up to expectations and many in buffalo are questioning the coaching and management.

Dobber Sports Sage

(For some reason I can't quote your posts) but in re: to Anderson being "washed-up/never has been"... maybe a little harsh but he hasn't really had a great, full-time season, ever.

He's only played 3 seasons with 50 or more games for Ottawa and his individual stats ranged from bad to average to slightly above average at best (63GP/2.84 GAA/.914% -- 53GP/3.00 GAA/.911% -- 60GP/2.78 GAA/.916%).

Ok so he had 30 wins. Again, a team stat. I'm talking 'keeper value' here that takes age, talent and stats other than just wins into account. There is nothing great about those stats ^^^. But I digress...

I guess you can argue Lehner has never played a season with over 36 GP... that might be the argument holding him back from higher status. But he has a couple shortened seasons with high-end SV% (.936%, .924%) under his belt. Primed for more.

I do own him in one of my leagues and I can definitely see his lack of GP being the rub behind his low ranking... I just don't see how he is ranked lower than half a dozen other names on that list.
    RW
    D
    G

Banned

No it's not maybe a little harsh, it was very harsh. Craig Anderson at his current age has been one of the best in the league this season. Unfortuntely non injury related matters are keeping him out right now. Sucks because he was on track for his best season ever. This is a guy who has faced the most pcuks in the last five years or whatever than any other goalie in the NHL and has played behind some poor defences. We finally gave him a good team d this year and unfortunately he can't be here right now.

But anyways, I digress. I just thought that comment was very disresctpful and out of touch, but it's par for the course when people try to talk about sens players. Anybody taking lehner over Anderson is foolish.

- - - Updated - - -

No it's not maybe a little harsh, it was very harsh. Craig Anderson at his current age has been one of the best in the league this season. Unfortuntely non injury related matters are keeping him out right now. Sucks because he was on track for his best season ever. This is a guy who has faced the most pcuks in the last five years or whatever than any other goalie in the NHL and has played behind some poor defences. We finally gave him a good team d this year and unfortunately he can't be here right now.

But anyways, I digress. I just thought that comment was very disresctpful and out of touch, but it's par for the course when people try to talk about sens players. Anybody taking lehner over Anderson is foolish.

- - - Updated - - -

And again team stat is very important for goalies in fantasy. The top goalies like dubnyk would look like garbage on Vancouver or Toronto or whoever

- - - Updated - - -

And again team stat is very important for goalies in fantasy. The top goalies like dubnyk would look like garbage on Vancouver or Toronto or whoever

Dobber Sports Sage

Fair enough!
    RW
    D
    G

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Lehner is a somewhat young guy who has been a roughly average NHL goalie in his injury-prone career. He's been better in Buffalo than he was in Ottawa, but he hasn't been on a good team, nor been a workhorse yet. He's not currently a stud, and he's comparable to Johnson & Markstrom in that they are also starting now, playing above-average, and look to have careers on the upswing, but Johnson is much older.

Anderson is a very different guy, he's been better and more of a workhorse than Lehner has been to now. He's old, but likely to be useful for a bit longer.

Trying to project goalies 3-4 years down the road is very hard, and there are at least a dozen I like more than Lehner for relevance 3-4+ years from now. He may take another step, or he may be just a guy.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.