Thread: Mason pulled....so why start him?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Mason pulled....so why start him?

Decisions seem so easy to fantasy GMs...Mason playing on a B2B and lifetime horrible record against the Devils...I woulda sat him against NJ but Hakstol starts him. Then pulls him after the first. So, why start him at all? Soooo frustrating.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Mason pulled....so why start him?

Just playing the devils advocate here, but if you knew he has a lifetime horrible record against the devils then why didn't you bench him? Lol

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Cpedersen84 View Post
    Just playing the devils advocate here, but if you knew he has a lifetime horrible record against the devils then why didn't you bench him? Lol
    This.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

To answer the original question, he has had quite the heavy workload recently, so maybe it's just realizing that you're probably losing a game, and giving your starter the rest of the night off.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Let's be fair, and based on the boxscore as I didn't watch it, but let okit by at the shots on goal total for the Flyers I don't think Mason was the only guy not to turn up
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Cpedersen84 View Post
    It's one of those things where your gut says they're coming off a B2B...let him sit but my other option was Vas against the Blues and since TB was so banged up and Vas got lit up by the Blues (albeit in St. Louis) my brain won out and I sat Vas. No more brain over gut. My gut is much larger than my brain and I'm going with that from now on. With that being said, no way am I starting Vas tonight against Washington at Washington....he'll be on my bench so please feel free to bet heavily on him shutting out Washington!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Part of it is that you are giving him rest in a game you know you are losing after 1 period. Another part of it is that Mason is a guy who seems to get pulled/benched often due to soft goals.

He is very frustrating as a Flyers fan. He often looks good, then lets in a 50 footer, and follows it up with utter suckitude. I think last season is him in a nutshell, solid numbers for whole season, streaky, some horrible games, and eventually coming up short nough that you need to go to a different guy in playoff crunch time.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Part of it is that you are giving him rest in a game you know you are losing after 1 period. Another part of it is that Mason is a guy who seems to get pulled/benched often due to soft goals.

He is very frustrating as a Flyers fan. He often looks good, then lets in a 50 footer, and follows it up with utter suckitude. I think last season is him in a nutshell, solid numbers for whole season, streaky, some horrible games, and eventually coming up short nough that you need to go to a different guy in playoff crunch time.
    early in the season, and to an extent now, there was really poor defensive play in the d-zone...turnovers, etc. He was playing deep in the crease. The past month or so they've gotten a little better which allows him to play out more and he can be more aggressive.

When you're a fan of any team you are exposed to every wart. It's like in fantasy, I find that the guy that offers the deal usually gets burned. You are so used to seeing your guys that the bad things they do are magnified. If you step back and see what Mason's peripheral numbers are over the past few years I think he's above league average.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    early in the season, and to an extent now, there was really poor defensive play in the d-zone...turnovers, etc. He was playing deep in the crease. The past month or so they've gotten a little better which allows him to play out more and he can be more aggressive.

When you're a fan of any team you are exposed to every wart. It's like in fantasy, I find that the guy that offers the deal usually gets burned. You are so used to seeing your guys that the bad things they do are magnified. If you step back and see what Mason's peripheral numbers are over the past few years I think he's above league average.
    I understand that, and I realize I view him differently than others out here. He is erratic, but can help a fantasy team. You need to know what you need to do to get what you want, though. Really you don't want to use him as a spot starting goalie.

I think part of it is that he & Neuvirth are somewhat different types of goalies, and it's easier to focus as a team defense if you have a starter and know who it is. Also Mason is not a guy who handles competition for a job, from what it seems from Philly & Columbus.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.