Thread: Full Keeper League Settings Advice

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Full Keeper League Settings Advice

My friends and I plan on starting a new full keeper hockey league in the offseason and we're looking for some advice for putting together the league settings. I'm a fan of Dobber's settings with 1 free agent signing and 5 in-season trades but most of my leaguemates want the league to be Head 2 Head. My question is, would it be possible for a Head 2 Head league to work with such little movement? And how big would the rosters need to be? I was thinking between 25-30 players.

Also, please feel free to post any keeper league settings that you feel work well.

Thanks
    Jason

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Full Keeper League Settings Advice

Personally, I hate leagues that restrict player movement. Trades and being keen on the waiver wire is - at least for me - a big part of what makes Fantasy Hockey fun.

Would it be possible? Of course. I just have reservations about 1) finding guys for your league and 2) keeping them interested long term.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    Personally, I hate leagues that restrict player movement. Trades and being keen on the waiver wire is - at least for me - a big part of what makes Fantasy Hockey fun.

Would it be possible? Of course. I just have reservations about 1) finding guys for your league and 2) keeping them interested long term.
    I appreciate your feedback. I can definitely see it causing owners to lose interest. What would be a reasonable amount of weekly pickups, 4 or 5? I for one would like streaming to be at a minimum.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

5 is usually a good number.

My cap league actually has buy-out penalties, so we don't have a maximum since you can't just stream - you'd run out of cap space.

But in a non-cap league, 5 is a good number per week.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Jedi

My league uses 3 per week - 40 for the season, 24 player rosters & 25 minors.

We also do a H2H, but I translated all the categories into a point system. I like it a lot better than traditional H2H. It sucks having your forwards go off, score 20g and 25a and your goalies tank and the matchup end 6-6-2 and be a wash. Having points, I had Mike Smith start vs. Pitt and he was a -.45. He didn't help me at all, whereas Murray (in another matchup) who threw the SO gave his owner 12.5pts.

I like the deep rosters and limited roster moves as it puts pressure on teams to make smart decision, limit waiver churning & promote trading. I've made more than 5 trades already this season. 1/2 my league has yet to make one. I've got the scoring system in my sig. I also use Fantrax and could send you s snipped photo of one of our matchups.

I'm in 5 different pools, 3 are H2H, this one is by far the most fun in terms of settings.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    5 is usually a good number.

My cap league actually has buy-out penalties, so we don't have a maximum since you can't just stream - you'd run out of cap space.

But in a non-cap league, 5 is a good number per week.
    A salary cap league is appealing but the majority of the owners are casual fantasy sports players looking to break into the keeper league world.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    My league uses 3 per week - 40 for the season, 24 player rosters & 25 minors.

We also do a H2H, but I translated all the categories into a point system. I like it a lot better than traditional H2H. It sucks having your forwards go off, score 20g and 25a and your goalies tank and the matchup end 6-6-2 and be a wash. Having points, I had Mike Smith start vs. Pitt and he was a -.45. He didn't help me at all, whereas Murray (in another matchup) who threw the SO gave his owner 12.5pts.

I like the deep rosters and limited roster moves as it puts pressure on teams to make smart decision, limit waiver churning & promote trading. I've made more than 5 trades already this season. 1/2 my league has yet to make one. I've got the scoring system in my sig. I also use Fantrax and could send you s snipped photo of one of our matchups.

I'm in 5 different pools, 3 are H2H, this one is by far the most fun in terms of settings.

I play fantasy football so the head to head point system is appealing to me. Is there a standard scoring system like there is in fantasy football? Also, would you mind sharing your league's bylaws with me?

Dobber Sports Star

I find 2 moves per week to be perfect. Not enough to be constantly streaming, but enough to make an impact each week if you use them wisely.

Dobber Sports Jedi

PM'd you... twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ortmeyer41 View Post
    I play fantasy football so the head to head point system is appealing to me. Is there a standard scoring system like there is in fantasy football? Also, would you mind sharing your league's bylaws with me?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

3 pikups per week is reasonable enough .

my preference is h2h points where stats are assigned a certain multiplier but alot of gm's seem to prefer h2h cats

good luck starting out - if you want to know what my multipliers are I could send you a pm

- - - Updated - - -

3 pikups per week is reasonable enough .

my preference is h2h points where stats are assigned a certain multiplier but alot of gm's seem to prefer h2h cats

good luck starting out - if you want to know what my multipliers are I could send you a pm