Thread: NFL Playoff Pool Format change suggestions

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default NFL Playoff Pool Format change suggestions

This is to the whole forum so anyone who wants to chime in please feel free....

My uncle and I have been running a NFL playoff pool for over 25 years now and we have had pretty much the same format throughout....

Pick with the spreads

Round 1 correct pick = 1 point
    Round 2 correct pick = 2 points
    Round 3 correct pick = 3 points
    Super Bowl correct = 5 points
    Total points of the Super Bowl correct = 5 points

In recent years I added a 2 point bonus for picking BOTH Super Bowl teams at the beginning of the playoffs.

The problem is my uncle started the pool with 11 people. Last year I had over 200.

Obviously with such a simple point system there are A TON of close scores now (tiebreakers are wins then closest to the SB total score).....

Looking for something to add that wouldn't change it too much but keeps the same idea

Please help

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: NFL Playoff Pool Format change suggestions

Maybe bump the points for the Super Bowl winners up a tiny bit.
    As for tie breakers, you could have a MVP tiebreaker try too, though if both miss it doesn't really settle much...
    It's tough with so little variation and so many entrants. Not really too much to be added, I think the best bet is just tweaking the scoring system.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    This is to the whole forum so anyone who wants to chime in please feel free....

My uncle and I have been running a NFL playoff pool for over 25 years now and we have had pretty much the same format throughout....

Pick with the spreads

Round 1 correct pick = 1 point
    Round 2 correct pick = 2 points
    Round 3 correct pick = 3 points
    Super Bowl correct = 5 points
    Total points of the Super Bowl correct = 5 points

In recent years I added a 2 point bonus for picking BOTH Super Bowl teams at the beginning of the playoffs.

The problem is my uncle started the pool with 11 people. Last year I had over 200.

Obviously with such a simple point system there are A TON of close scores now (tiebreakers are wins then closest to the SB total score).....

Looking for something to add that wouldn't change it too much but keeps the same idea

Please help

Lower seeds picked to win their match get bonus points. So during WC if you took the #5 over #4 you'd get 2 points instead of 1. But if you were to take #6 over #3, you'd get 3 points instead of 1.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I should mention I track all of this myself haha.