Thread: Royal Rumble 1989

Dobber Sports Star

Default Royal Rumble 1989

So, I have been watching some old time wrestling lately, with the 1989 Royal Rumble being my most recent view. You know what I have really noticed? How far wrestling has come. In 1989, the wrestling was sloppy and slow and plodding. Now, its fast and tight and technical and precise.

But more than that, the promo game is night and day different. Everyone on the mic today is at least solid, if not fantastic. Watching the people on the mic in 1989 was brutal. Yes, you had the "Masters", like Mr Perfect, and Bret Hart, and maybe the greatest of all time on the mic, Ric Flair, but a lot of it was really hard to watch. I watched Brutus the Barber Beefcake stumble pathetically through his entrance interview, and why ever give Andre the Giant a microphone? The women's champ at that time was commentating while 2 other women were in a match during the Royal Rumble, and it was ugly. Jesse the Body was talking circles around her while she choked out her words.

Wrestling has come far...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Royal Rumble 1989

Wrestling as a whole has come so far as a form of entertainment. I will always have a soft spot for it and will often check in to see what's happening because when it's great....it can really be amazing to watch.

Dobber Sports Sage

Our Commish is a big wrestling fan... A large percentage of the smack chat is wrestling meme's lol

Fun to watch at times but not something I can really stick to
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Ace

While I agree with rylant that it is more technically sound etc, call me an old timer, but I think I'd rather watch 1989 wrestling. Just something about it was more fun. I haven't really watched since stone cold/rock era, but have tried occasionally and couldn't watch it for more than a few minutes.

Dobber Sports Jedi

A lot more wrestling took place in 1989. I remember Saturday morning wrestling and it was 7-10 matches vs. today... 3? and 30 minutes of drama. the Saturday Night Main Event used to draw massive celebs to the front row. Things were different back then. Elite matches never took place outside of a main event or special event. Now they occur in every match. Gone are the jabroni plugs in every match.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    While I agree with rylant that it is more technically sound etc, call me an old timer, but I think I'd rather watch 1989 wrestling. Just something about it was more fun. I haven't really watched since stone cold/rock era, but have tried occasionally and couldn't watch it for more than a few minutes.
    Perhaps... its you who is different? Maybe now that you are older, its harder to appreciate. I have doubts the product has changed much. Its a winning formula.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's much like hockey, and many other sports. Technically, the worst is much better than the worst used to be. But everything is so robotic now. There's nobody truly great either. It's too tactical, too controlled. We're never going to get an electrifying personality like The Rock, Steve Austin, or in a different manner The Undertaker again, because the WWE is unwilling to take that kind of risk anymore.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Perhaps... its you who is different? Maybe now that you are older, its harder to appreciate. I have doubts the product has changed much. Its a winning formula.

I look at it from more of an entertainment setting. Similar to what RATaylor posted below. I miss the Jericho of WCW (and Ralphus), Christian and Edge etc, all the way back to the old Starrcades and Real Road Warriors....The Barber Shop ....all that stuff.

I just don't see it anymore.