Thread: How long to run with C Johnson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default How long to run with C Johnson

I drafted Elliott and dropped him quickly for Johnson. I've been riding that train ever since. It has to end though, right? It seems the offense for Calgary is turning it around which should mean wins, but how tight is the leash on Johnson? They brought in Elliott to be the starter so I imagine they may run him back out to try and claim the job again. Any thoughts on holding on to Johnson or looking at a possible sell high situation?
    8 teams, H2H daily start league
    Keep 5, max 1 goalie

Skaters - G (3 pts), A (2), PPG (1), PPA (0.5), SHG (2), SHA (1), GWG (2), HT (5), PIM (0.3), Hits (0.1), BS (0.2)
    Goalies - W (5), OTL (2), GA (-1), SV (0.2), SO (3)

F (17, Start 12): Ovechkin, Tavares, Seguin, McDavid, Couture, Toffoli, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Scheifele, Schenn, Stepan, Voracek, Wheeler, Fabri, E. Kane, Galchenyuk, Barkov, Stastny, Spezza (IR), Sheary (IR)
    D (5, Start 4): Giordano, Schultz, Markov, Phaneuf, Shattenkirk
    G (3, Start 2): Holtby, Lundqvist, Johnson

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: How long to run with C Johnson

ahh, the eternal question, "how long is too long?" they will ride CJ as long as they can and his leash wil lbe fairly long in my opinion. i would let it ride for a while, just to build momentum, then sell. i sold last week, a little too early really, it returned Gallagher but i know i coulda held out for more...i neede a RW.,
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Classic sell high situation. Sell now before it's too late.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Monster

Who else is available on the FA market? I have a tough time thinking you'll get much in a trade for Johnson. I'd just ride this streak and make adjustments if and when he falters. I think he's got a bit of a leash, a short one, but definitely has earned it. Elliott was pretty good in his last start but they went back to Johnson the next game. But 2 or 3 bad starts in a row from CJ and it will probably go back to a timeshare. Since I'm asssuming Elliott is not owned in your league, there's no risk in you just keeping on with CJ right now and dropping him if need be.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mvlittle View Post
    I drafted Elliott and dropped him quickly for Johnson. I've been riding that train ever since. It has to end though, right? It seems the offense for Calgary is turning it around which should mean wins, but how tight is the leash on Johnson? They brought in Elliott to be the starter so I imagine they may run him back out to try and claim the job again. Any thoughts on holding on to Johnson or looking at a possible sell high situation?
    1. It doesn't have to end for Johnson. In his 4 years getting 5+ starts in the NHL he has been an above average to good goalie 3 of those 4 years, that includes this year. Which year is this year? (SV%, GAA, SO, QS%)

.925, 2.10, 2, 65.2%
    .889, 3.08, 0, 41.2%
    .932, 1.98, 3, 58.8%
    .920, 2.36, 1, 57.5%

I excluded wins & games started, because that would make things more obvious. One of those is a 40 start year, so it would stick out, and be clearly wrong. There was a rambling a little bit ago that said we may have been underselling Chad Johnson, and I think that is true.

Like many I thought that Elliott was going to be what Calgary needed. They did get themselves a guy who seems to be capable of being a starter, but it may not be the guy we all thought. Johnson is actually even younger than Elliott.

I'd look at him as a hold/soft buy, because he has the clearest path to a starter's job of anyone who is not widely considered a starter. His obstacles are his own play, and a guy who is a UFA at the end of the year, who was brought in this year, the same time as Johnson, who has been if not the worst regular NHL goalie this year, definitely bottom 3.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Buying and selling is like stocks my friend. Only you can decide when to get max return because you know the goalie situation in your league and who is desperate. Wait too long and he might go on a losing streak that jeopardizes his value permanently. People tend to be unforgiving to goalies they are not sure will be a starter.

Price, Jones or Holtby could go on a 10 game losing streak and retain value. People might try to lowball you, but he will still have value. If CJ went on a 10 game losing streak you could drop him to waivers and nobody would take him till signs of improvement.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G