Thread: Saad - 21 pts. .. zero on PP???

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Saad - 21 pts. .. zero on PP???

I recently stumbled upon the fact that Brandon Saad, who has 21 pts this season (72 pt pace?), has zero points via the power play. ... everything at even strength ...

I found this to be very impressive and also revealing...

Yes I know Columbus as a whole is over performing. ... but would you guys say that Saad's performance thus far is not only A) sustainable. ... but B) cold actually improve??

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Saad - 21 pts. .. zero on PP???

As the team will slow down, so will he..

I expect him to finish at maximum 60-65, including 10-15 on the PP
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev

Dobber Sports Immortal

Yep I think pace probably comes down and obviously he'll have to get some PPP over the course of the year.....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Most of the guys who are rolling are on the top powerplay (Wennberg, Foligno, Atkinson, Gagner).

Gagner is the big x factor for whether or not Saad starts producing on the powerplay. It all depends on if he continues playing the way he is and stays in Tortorella's good graces, or if he fizzles out like he normally has.

I would honestly expect closer to a 55-60 point season for Saad tbh.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I fully expect Saad to slow down as I don't believe his numbers are sustainable...especially w/o PP time. That being said, I'm not sold on any Columbus player continuing their current performance for the entire season period. Tortorella is getting a lot out of his guys now, has a hot PP, and he demands a lot from his players, however, the downside of that is that players get tired, and may not be able to continue the rigors of his demands for a full season. The PP will cool down. Also, injuries have always derailed Columbus in previous seasons when they show up, Columbus may be in trouble. That being said, I do believe they have a pretty deep team. Hartnell and Dubinsky are not playing to their full potential, nor are they getting the chances to showcase their abilities. I feel that both still have gas in the tank. I'm currently watching their utilization closely over the season.

PS: I really dislike Torts and have thoroughly disliked his coaching with NYR, Van and recently USA Hockey. I was pretty pleased when I thought he had vanished from NHL relevance when he was fired from Van. I do respect what he's done in Columbus so far but I still have a sour taste in my mouth from his past coaching gigs. I still expect failure from anything he touches though.

PPS: The Hawks still wish they had Saad.

Dobber Sports Padawan

He'll continue at a similar pace. His recent points have temporarily inflated that (to 72 as you pointed out) but a couple games without points and it will look like the 65 pt pace people expect. 60 isn't that unreasonable either, people don't stay hot all year.

Saad has been getting PP time though, all year. Producing at even strength is, in my opinion, the most sustainable stat. The fact that he hasn't been scoring on the PP, despite given time, tells me that he is bound to start at some point. Add that in to his even strength production and you have yourself a productive player.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I have him pegged for around 60 points this season. Eventually he will put up some numbers on the PP but for now he is on the second unit and not getting any puck luck. IF Gagner faulters though, look for Saad to move up to the #1 unit.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    He'll continue at a similar pace. His recent points have temporarily inflated that (to 72 as you pointed out) but a couple games without points and it will look like the 65 pt pace people expect. 60 isn't that unreasonable either, people don't stay hot all year.

Saad has been getting PP time though, all year. Producing at even strength is, in my opinion, the most sustainable stat. The fact that he hasn't been scoring on the PP, despite given time, tells me that he is bound to start at some point. Add that in to his even strength production and you have yourself a productive player.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. .. it's more difficult and less luck driven to score at even strength ... thus his numbers are theoretically more legit. ...

So if his lack of PPP despite given the time, could be seen as bad luck... if/when that corrects, that would only sustain his production

This is my observation... I am making a case to aggressively try to acquire him...

The Great One

If the cap hit wasn't so big for him i would have kept him in my multi cat league as he is a 30/30 type of guy. I think he still hits that but the proportions will shift over the season
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Superstar

you shouldn't worry about Saad, he is a model of consistency. Going from Chicago to Columbus his point totals remained in line and I do not see him dropping off, just start and enjoy.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov