Thread: Burn #1 WW on MAF?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Burn #1 WW on MAF?

Currently my goalie situation is extremely weak I have Lundy and Ward. Would you burn your #1 on MAF who was just dropped?
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Burn #1 WW on MAF?

I think that is a good idea

Dobber Sports Titan

What league is this for? Really depends on how tough it would be to get another goalie otherwise.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Genius

Its my first league in sig. I dumped the Dallas tenders already. Tough to get another goalie for sure. Mind you I picked up Howard he's on IR and have Ward/Lundy right now.

Dobber Sports Ninja

What other goalies are on the wire?

I'm thinking it might be a worthwhile gamble here with Murray showing chinks in the armor lately, but most likely they will end up in a timeshare for the rest of the season.

Dobber Sports Titan

I don't know if Fleury is your best solution when looking at 2 of 3 cats being GAA and SV%.
    I would let him slip through waivers, and if he's there after waivers, then you can decide if you want to grab him or not.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ninja

How many goalies do you start each night? Let's pretend Fleury (who has an NMC I believe) or Murray get traded... would Fleury then become one of your keepers?

I'll tell you one thing I've learned over the years about saving WW priorities... when people have a higher WW priority (especially #1-2) they tend to save it for as long as possible waiting for that impatient GM who makes a colossal mistake and drops a top tier player. In the end, one of a few things happens: 1) nobody makes a colossal mistake; or 2) it happens late in the season at which point your fate is already sealed.

This is why I actually prefer having low wire priority, then I can freely add/drop/claim without feeling like a I need to save my priority. Moral of the story - there is diminishing returns the longer you save that wire priority as the season progresses that you have to consider and balance against waiting for that juicy drop. Sorry - long tangent there.

Dobber Sports Genius

I have saved my WW for two years lol so I hear you. Hmm I start two goalies a night and need a minimum of three starts a week.

Dobber Sports Icon

Here's the question to ask yourself:

Who would have to show up on the waiver wire that would be a better add to your team than the starting goalie for the defending Stanley Cup Champion?

I can't really think of anyone who might be dropped that would be a better add so I would definitely try to pick him up.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Agree with the people saying pick him up. Your goalie situation could use improving and MAF has the potential to be a big help.

In my league I've gotten to the point where I don't consider waiver priority at all, if I want the player I put in a claim, I'd rather get a guy I want they hold out hoping someone amazing his dropped.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Genius

I went for it. Time to finally free myself of the burden of being WW #1. Strangely the last time I burnt my WW was on a goalie too, Bobrovsky being dropped three years ago.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I have saved my WW for two years lol so I hear you.
    Jeezus you're a patient man

The Great One

Out of interest who are the other guys that have gone at 1 in previous years? Would think MAF is up there hence it was the right move IMO
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Guru

I didn't see this in time, but I would have recommended not picking up Fleury. Two weeks ago, he was number one on my top 10 list of players to drop. Tonight's game didn't help, but he's been brutal this year. You're better off starting Ward than Fleury.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I see you went for it. I realize you need a third goalie, so I hope it works out for you. It should help in one regard, you won't have the #1 WW priority, so you will feel free to use it more often.

There is no way I'd consider him with those categories. As long as you understand he is your #3 goalie and that he is likely to be all over the place in SV%, it should be okay.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.